Protein Suggestions

trimom10
trimom10 Posts: 388 Member
Newbie here trying to figure out how to get all of my daily protein. To compound things, I'm lactose intolerant and will take a Lactaid pill here and there when I have cheese or attempt ice cream. Aside from protein powder (got the soy one) and eating a hunk of meat (love chicken and fish), what do you ladies like to eat?

Replies

• MrsAgi
    MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
    it's pretty much meat and fish TBH. Tuna is a great quick protein fix, and low cal too:)

I will use protein powder but don't like shakes so only add some in to various other meals

eggs are good snacks
  • perfect10isha
    perfect10isha Posts: 200 Member
    I eat a hard boiled egg and microwavable turkey sausage for breakfast on workout days. For a mid morning snack I have cottage cheese and pineapples, for lunch a ham sandwich on wheat with greek yogurt and a nature valley protein granola bar, and I have a post workout protein shake. For dinner I try to have some type of meat (tonight I'm having homemade hamburgers). That's a typical day for me.

edit: I also do an apple with peanut butter as an afternoon snack.
  • trimom10
    I totally forgot about eggs. They are one of my favorites!
  • MrsAgi
    MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
    I assumed lactose intolerant means no cottage cheese/other cheese or yoghurt..... Not sure how good the substitutes are for protein.

Otherwise yoghurt's are great snacks

Peanut butter is nice but too high in cals for me most of the time, same with any other nuts really - I just feel I don't get enough protein for the carb/cal content....

I'd rather munch on real meat TBH
  • Bunnybeesweet
    Bunnybeesweet Posts: 165 Member
    Tofu, tempeh, seitan, lentils, back beans, hemp seeds, and sprouted rice, hemp and pea protein powders. No lactose in any of these favorites.
  • kelgalon
    kelgalon Posts: 31 Member
    Tofu, tempeh, seitan, lentils, back beans, hemp seeds, and sprouted rice, hemp and pea protein powders. No lactose in any of these favorites.

I second this!
  • trimom10
    I assumed lactose intolerant means no cottage cheese/other cheese or yoghurt..... Not sure how good the substitutes are for protein.

There are lactose free versions of cottage cheese and yogurt (soy) that I use, so am already on that!
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    One word: Isolate!!

I'm lactose intolerant, and isolate (as in whey and milk) is pretty much lactose free. Quest bars use isolate so I can eat them without popping lactase. I buy Whey protein isolate and have no problems with it, so I add it to my oatmeal, etc.

Feel free to look through my diary for ideas, I eat around 160 gms a day.