DO You Use Stevia?

Options
2»

Replies

• Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I don't use it. It's a sweetener. Unless you're weaning yourself off other sugars (then use the leaf or distilled stevia), no sense feeding the sugar monster. Over time your craving or sweets will diminish, but it won't if you keep eating sweet stuff. It's what it does to receptors in the brain. Try to quit smoking by switching from one kind of cigarette to another ... think that will work?
  • Jessb1985
    Jessb1985 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I use Stevia. But in saying that I have one coffee in the morning with cream, and add 2 teaspoons of 'Natvia' so that's all I have each day. I don't notice any problems with it myself personally.
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    No stevia here or any sweeteners! Are you struggling with eliminating sugars? Need a replacement for meals? Just curious.
  • LeidaPrimal
    LeidaPrimal Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Neither. When I am doing normal feeding with either slight caloric deficit or at maintenance & not too restricted on macros, I am fine with no sweeteners of any kind including fruit and all real food.

But I am doing a couple of months of UD2.0 now to cut into the stubborn fat, and I need to go for 4 days each week on 800-1000 cals on under 30 g carbs total a day and trying to minimize fat, so it really helps to have coffee, chew gum and have a big bowl of 40 cals jello with tea before bed. I was thinking of doing my own jello, with stevia and lemon/lime juice, but it never tastes as good as the crap industrial one & no variety + I want gum and diet pop once in a while too to survive, so aspartime is gonna be there.

So, yeah, I sold out & my fat loss is the priority right now, and it is probably wrong and yada-yada-yada. Once I am satisfied with the BF%, I am gonna ban the artificial crap, since, yes, I love Paloe/Primal lifestyle. I just don't like my natural body shape and want to see if I can nudge myself past the set point for a bit to get ripped. Never been in my life, always wanted to.
  • Zeromilediet
    Options
    Neither. When I am doing normal feeding with either slight caloric deficit or at maintenance & not too restricted on macros, I am fine with no sweeteners of any kind including fruit and all real food.

But I am doing a couple of months of UD2.0 now to cut into the stubborn fat, and I need to go for 4 days each week on 800-1000 cals on under 30 g carbs total a day and trying to minimize fat, so it really helps to have coffee, chew gum and have a big bowl of 40 cals jello with tea before bed. I was thinking of doing my own jello, with stevia and lemon/lime juice, but it never tastes as good as the crap industrial one & no variety + I want gum and diet pop once in a while too to survive, so aspartime is gonna be there.

So, yeah, I sold out & my fat loss is the priority right now, and it is probably wrong and yada-yada-yada. Once I am satisfied with the BF%, I am gonna ban the artificial crap, since, yes, I love Paloe/Primal lifestyle. I just don't like my natural body shape and want to see if I can nudge myself past the set point for a bit to get ripped. Never been in my life, always wanted to.

What is UD2.0 and why are you minimizing fat in your diet? Curious ...
  • LeidaPrimal
    Options
    It's Ultimate Diet 2.0, a crb- and calories cycling diet that is tied into a workout regimen that is designed to lose stubborn fat once you get into the low average BF% and can't drop fat further, like 20-22% for women. It is developed by Lyle McDonald. It is the only thing that allows me to move past the set point I get stuck on all the time. Last time I did it I screwed up coming off it and regained back to the set point, but after experimenting for a few months I have a couple of ideas of how to handle the post-diet phase to hold the weight loss (either high fat primal or raw vegan, yeah, I know, that's two extremes), so I am giving it another shot. No point of doing it if you can't hold weight.
  • Zeromilediet
    Options
    It's Ultimate Diet 2.0, a crb- and calories cycling diet that is tied into a workout regimen that is designed to lose stubborn fat once you get into the low average BF% and can't drop fat further, like 20-22% for women. It is developed by Lyle McDonald. It is the only thing that allows me to move past the set point I get stuck on all the time. Last time I did it I screwed up coming off it and regained back to the set point, but after experimenting for a few months I have a couple of ideas of how to handle the post-diet phase to hold the weight loss (either high fat primal or raw vegan, yeah, I know, that's two extremes), so I am giving it another shot. No point of doing it if you can't hold weight.

Interesting. I went & read a pdf online about the UD and what I see is carbs at a low of 50g per day with protein up to 200g per day and fill in the blanks with fat. I can see how the low carb would be a weight loss help, but have found from experience that fat (good fat) doesn't cause weight gain and one could just as easily add in more fat (which also makes you feel full longer so less snacking and added calories), rather than relying on protein. Most people trying for high protein use powders and supplements because it's difficult to get 200g of protein a day from real food. As long as they're aware that powders are highly processed and sweetened, that's their choice.

I'm not criticizing, just a point of discussion; you're a grown woman and not going to tell you what food choices you should make :-) That being said, I know how effective paleo has been for me, not just in weight loss, but improving my health--I truly believe food should be a source for good health, not just a full belly or slimmer body. If you struggle with getting to your goal using UD, consider doing a Whole30 http://whole9life.com/itstartswithfood/ The one thing I'd recommend ... look at eating healthy as a lifetime objective and not a short term weight loss challenge. When you get older past the best before date (I'm in my 50s), things start to unravel if you don't eat healthy :-) Just sayin'
  • mehaugen
    mehaugen Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Refined stevia is a glycoside, not a saccharide: ie, not a sugar. It contains a sugar molecule bound to other molecules. Not comparible to sugarbeets or cane. At 300x sweetness than sugar, that is why it has no caloric value when used in amounts that create a sweetness comparible to sugar.

Am I sure it does not produce an insulin response? Well, that is what studies have shown. I have not seen a study that shows it DOES produce an insulin response.

It is an herb in the sense that if you use a liquid extract, it is essentially the same as extracting basil leaves. I can grow stevia leaves on my windowsill, crush up a leaf, and put it in tea to sweeten it. Could you grow a sugar beet or cane on your windowsill and process it enough to get sugar? Only with a lot of work. So in my opinion, using the leaf or a straight liquid extract like Sweetleaf is perfectly safe. Not that garbage that other companies make and mix with fillers.
  • LeidaPrimal
    Options
    I did Whole 30, twice now. I did 100% primal. I normally gain weight on it. Healthy is great, but I still do not like the shape my body takes 'naturally'. I know that it is because I need to be able to conceive, carry and deliver three babies in the middle of the Antarctic desert, during the dark winter of the Ice Age, but it doesn't mean I am about to undertake it. In fact, my interests lies in avoiding having babies in the middle of the desert, and more along the lines of being a city dweller, quite attuned to the rhythm of the 21st century, including the modern trend for a woman to have rather a hint of hips, belly and thighs, not the HIPS, BELLY and THIGHS.

I am almost 40, and losing the weight after pregnancy got me interested in all things body related. Including reshaping the body at will. I consider paleo/primal the perfect WOE, and intend to continue to pursue paleo/primal till I no longer care (like when I am 70 or something), but I do want to see myself ripped once and the time is running out since when I hit the menopause, I will start declining into fat no matter how I eat and how I train. Before the fat suit zips in for good, I want to check out what it takes to get and stay ripped for my particular body. It is not a bad body, but I want to see it at a sub-average BF% level.

I am also lucky because I have never had any major health concerns even when I got to my highest weight after pg. So, I was never really sick with anything but sugar hunger on CW that paleo/primal way fixed.
  • her4g63
    her4g63 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I do not use any sweeteners.. I haven't found a reason why I would need to! (: