Bypass or Gastric Sleeve...which to have?

Options
2»

Replies

• mistydk
    mistydk Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    As far as anyone saying the sleeve stretches, it does "mature" a bit. When you first have surgery you typically will only be able to eat 1-2 ounces for a few months. Now that I'm over 8 months post op, I can eat about 3 ounces of protein and I'm stuffed. If I want to eat protein first and make room for some veggies, I can eat 2.5 ounces of protein and a couple of bites of veggies. If I am eating something soft like cottage cheese, I can eat about 5-6 ounces because it's so easy to eat and it pretty much slides right through. It's much better to eat something like dense protein. I like to eat cheese sticks, or a few thin pieces of ham wrapped in a slice of cheese, or beef jerky for snacks. They are more "dense" and I get full fast. For meals I usually eat chicken or fish or ham or some type of protein with a little bit of veggies. I had the smallest sleeve size that is typically used, which is a 32 French bougie. I have heard some surgeons go a bit smaller but not very often. I am glad I had that size. I am pleased with my restriction level. Just my opinion--but I think that the sleeve sizes between 32 and 36 are probably best. But that's just my opinion and other people think that bigger is okay too. It's really up to your comfort level. I wanted the most restriction possible that could be done safely.

Did I mention that my hunger is greatly diminished? That is probably one of my favorite parts of this surgery. I don't get hungry very often and when I do, it is easily managed with just eating a small amount. I love not being hungry all the time and trying to "starve" when I'm on a "diet". The sleeve does not really feel like a diet at all. You aren't typically "really hungry". The only time I might get hungry is right before Aunt Flo comes for her monthly visit.

Don't be afraid of the sleeve stretching stories. If you get a properly done sleeve by a reputable surgeon who uses the newest techniques to ensure restriction then you probably won't have to worry about it stretching very much. The surgeon is supposed to remove the fundus of the stomach when the sleeve is done. That is the stretchy part of the stomach. When it is removed, there is not much "stretching" that can go on. With RNY--most of the time the pouch stretches some. The real problem with "stretching" is the STOMA--which is the man made opening where your food goes through (sleevers don't have that). The stoma can stretch and enable much more food to go through. I have heard of quite a few people complaining about that issue. It happens and there isn't much they can do to fix it. Supposedly they have a surgery that can help fix it but a lot of people complain that it doesn't help for very long. Sleevers dont' worry about that because we keep our natural pyloric valve.

I am not saying the RNY is bad. It's not. I have a sister who's been very successful with it and has kept off her weight for 7 years. However, she has to go get B12 shots and iron injections quite frequently and the costs add up. I just didn't want to have to worry about that or whether I'd be able to afford that if something bad happened financially in the future.

GOOD LUCK!
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Bypass and gastric both got side effect and in most cases people gain the weight back. I know people who have already had the surgery and gained weight back. One of them tried Rocalabs afterword so I'll suggest you Rocalabs as well.

Get off the board, troll. You are posting replies all over the forums pushing a commercial "no surgery" bypass product. No one here wants your spam. Take your ads somewhere else.