Discouraged

Options
I've never been able to stick to this for more than a week or so at a time. I managed to go all of June, but failed after that. And I made it a week and a half this month but failed again.

I feel really pathetic and am just looking for some encouragement. It's easy enough to follow but I just start to feel hopeless and give up on myself. I've always been obese, so I hardly believe that this is possible. Eating primally is the only way I ever see any positive changes, but I just can't stick with it.

Replies

• MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a psychological addiction rather than a physical one. At the point you are making the choice to eat forbidden foods, you have to ask yourself why". I think only you know the answer.
  • Cerebrus189
    Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I agree with Mike. When I first started, I had to stop and think about why I wanted the food I did. Everyday was a struggle in the beginning, and I would get through it like any other addict would, one day at a time and one meal at a time. I had the constant urge to reach for a bowl of cereal after dinner because it was a habit. So then I made a conscious choice. I could fail and eat the cereal, and feel like a failure afterwards, or I could eat an apple with some almond butter and then go to bed.

After a few days of overcoming my anxiety over food addiction, I was psychologically stronger just knowing that I could say no and keep going strong. It gets easier every day that you get through it. The biggest thing is planning with Paleo. One of my biggest things is to plan meals ahead of time and really get excited about trying it. This is the only time in my life where I'm excited about trying new vegetables and recipes. Trust me, I've been where you're at. But you can do this, just like we have.
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    It'll be okay-- I've been awful the past month or so, because I've put work as a priority over my health. I'm taking ownership of this choice, and it means I've gained 5 lbs and feel like hell, but it's the option that I chose and until I'm ready to prioritize health over work, I'm going to continue to make the choices that I do.

It doesn't have to be an either or. You can still make good choices, even if you made some lousy ones earlier in the day.