Riddle me this....

Options
Sooo, I have my first pre-op appt 11/8. My BMI is in the 36-37 range, but I have a terrible family history of heart disease, arthritis (my mom has had both knees replaced), and have been overweight my entire life; both my parents are overweight. I've done weight watchers til I"m blue in the face, exercise religiously, currently doing MFP and Fit Bit. I really really want to do bariatric surgery for a permanent life change and change in my risk factors. My question is this - what motivation is there to really apply myself to the 3 month "supervised" diet required by the insurance company if it drops my BMI below 35 and I don't qualify for surgery anymore? I would be back to doing the same thing and expecting the same results - the definition of insanity! I don't want to be a "gamer", but I'm tired of my thighs rubbing together and shopping in the Women's section!!!!

Replies

• stephanielindsey
    Options
    If you could possibly lose weight without having to have surgery, why wouldn't you? We are all desperate to lose weight but I know that if I could lose weight without surgery, I wouldn't have it. Now if you go through the supervised diet and still struggle, then you know you are making the best choice for you.
  • VaingloriousVictoria
    Options
    I agree with Stephanie.
  • Susann1963
    Susann1963 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I was worried about the same thing. My doctor told me that my insurance bases their decision on participating in the supervised program as well as my initial weight/BMI, (not the weight I would potentially weigh after the program). That said, I did not lose more that a pound or two of weight during the supervised period, was told to be careful that I did not gain though. Did the supervised period with the bariatric surgeon, so it was more education, preparation, nutrition and exercise counseling.
  • BubblySharon
    BubblySharon Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I am doing the 6 month supervised diet plan right now before I get surgery scheduled. I'm actually starting to think maybe I can do it myself WITHOUT surgery. I have tried in the past and ended up losing, gaining, then losing again, only to gain it back. BUT I never changed my eating habits permanently... I dieted rather than changing my entire food regimen. I don't know why anyone would want to have surgery if they did not have to! If I don't lose 30lbs by the end of my 6 months, THEN I will get the surgery... if I do, then I will just continue on my own :)
  • Arthemise1
    Arthemise1 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I lost absolutely nothing on the supervised diet. If I could lose weight that way, I wouldn't need surgery. The main benefit of the LapBand for me is that I can't regain the weight. It helps with the hunger to a certain extent, but really, I still get very hungry, I can still eat a lot, and I still crave bad foods if I don't watch my carbs.

Now, I did stick to the pre-op diet. It was incredibly tough, but I did it because I was scared the surgeon would cancel the surgery if my liver was too big.
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I also struggled with this and had this exact conversation during my first surgical visit. As my doc put it, both he and insurance are looking at the total picture of what you have tried in the past (I had to provide an accounting of that, not sure if you are required to by your doc). We talked about all the ups and downs and what I learned from each attempt. Also of utmost importance is your factors of co-morbidity that can be reduced if not totally eliminated by having the surgery. I also have the heart disease issue in my genetic makeup that will be well served by having the surgery. Seeing my NUT this week for first visit with her. My doc also said that alot of folks will get up to the day before surgery and decide NOT to have it because they feel they learned enough during the pre-process to go it alone. Certainly an individual choice. Feel free to send me a friend request if you wish.