Pain in hands and wrists

Options
bahacca
bahacca Posts: 878 Member
Is this normal? I've been lifting 4x a week for 3 weeks now and my wrists and hands..hurt. It isn't like an injury hurt where it is in the same place all the time. It is like the pain migrates and comes and goes.

Replies

• Shfiftyfive
    Options
    Can you post your routine? Also, when you say hands, do you mean the palms (i.e. grip)?
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    It could be a shoulder out of whack radiating down. I am somewhat dealing with the same thing right now. I would go see a chiropractor, and take a deload until the pain is corrected.
  • bahacca
    Options
    Routine is here-sorry you have to scroll down a bunch, but I'm on weeks 1-4(finish week 3 on Thursday.)
    http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-ultimate-female-training-guide.html I started combining the arm workouts so instead of them being spread out, I do all of the moves both arm days instead of splitting them up. It just wasn't challenging me enough. Legs are still split. Heaviest load is 55 lbs, but that is for squats. Heaviest load with hands is 45 lbs for my bench that strictly uses hand grip.
    Good call on the possibility of the shoulders being angry.
    The pain is mostly in the palms and on the meaty part of the hand that runs down from the pinky finger(still the palm I guess, but more the outside) I'm thinking b/c of this it is grip? I'm just wondering if it will get better with time or if gloves would help(I'm guessing not, but maybe?)
  • Shfiftyfive
    Options
    I would take a look at your wrist position in the major lifts like benching, squatting, and shoulder pressing. If you're flexing them back a lot, that could cause some wrist pain. I have no clue why your grip is hurting if you're saying you're only using an empty bar for Deadlifts.
  • bahacca
    Options
    I should also elaborate that the pain is not DURING lifting. It is after.
    And I am a girl, so not like I have major hand strength or anything. I'll look into how I'm gripping in bench. I actually think that may be the culprit since the issue seems to be worse on arm days, not so much on leg days.
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    i think its a bit unusual to have joint pain after 3 weeks of lifting....but over use joint pain comes hand and with weight lifting. no me its not a matter of if but when u will have either knee, elbow, wrist, or shoulder issues. when something begins to act up with me i either rest the body part, change by grip position on the bar, or change the exercise so i can change the angle of the movement. wraps can also help.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    As already said, pay attention to your wrist position during lifts.
    On squats make sure that the bar is resting properly on your back and weight isn't transferring into your arms excessively.

wrist wraps and fish oils wouldnt be a bad idea.
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Definitely check you wrist position - I had a similar thing until one of the instructors at the gym told me my wrists were bending under when they should be locked out. Made the pain go away and helped my overall technique too :)