Request for menu planning help

Options
Hi all in the Kiwis team - would very much appreciate some help and suggestions from you all. Have a new PT for weight training as, up until now, I've been doing all my exercise (cardio, HIIT, strength) from home, sticking to my under 1200 cal a day and getting absolutely nowhere. Thought a new weight training regime may help so heading off to the local gym 2 or 3 times a week now as well as the home routines I've been doing. Problem is that she has increased my daily calorie intake by 50% to 1800 a day and I know I'm going to have a big struggle to get anywhere near it. Have been miles under the 1200 a day so have no idea how I'm going to get another 600 in. First day today, time for the afternoon snack, and I am, as they say, full as a wee po! Any bright ideas would be very welcome please, thanks in advance, Kay

Replies

• MakingThisHappen
    Options
    Lots of protein! You'll need to up your fuel intake if you're going to be working that hard. Do you have a big good brekkie? I have homemade muesli, a banana, yoghurt and milk - it's big, but all healthy and keeps me full most of the morning. You could have protein shakes and bars as well to increase your calories. Also meat is high in calories. Basically protein with every meal, whether nuts, yoghurt/dairy, seafood, meat etc - helps keep you fuller longer and boost your metabolism :)
    Good luck!
  • ponderosakaren
    ponderosakaren Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hi Kay! Not sure I can add more than we've already exchanged in other emails...but I agree with Kat that protein will be the way forward I think, although carbs will certainly boost the cals consumed....be interesting to hear what better informed people think about that!! Kat's breakfast sounds nicely filling and could be a good start...specially if you use full fat milk...you could consume all your calories in one meal?! Protein bars, yes, good idea!! The protein will definitely get the metabilism going, as will your new personal trainer, so I'm sure we're going to see good progress very soon! Good luck and chat soon, K
  • kaydee173
    Options
    Right girls, here are the problems. Have only ever been a "once a day eater", cups of tea during the day and dinner at night. Trying to get breakfast/snack/lunch/snack/dinner down is pretty difficult. Have been having protein shake as breakfast because I don't have to force it down my throat like I do with muesli, toast, fruit or any other food - it's just like a scrumptious chocolate milkshake. But then I don't want anything more to eat until dinner time. So how on earth do I eat at least 5 times a day and up to 1800calories in that time. Have made the diary public so you can check it out and see what I have been eating and what I stuffed down my throat today. Tonight I feel really miserable - completely full and bloated, and quite nauseous ... eaten far too much. Not even any room left for a much needed glass of water! Blowed if I know how I'm going to lose any weight piling the food in like this. Off back to the gym in the morning so will see if it gives me a miracle energy infusion or something. Muscles a bit sore today from the weights yesterday but nowhere near as bad as I expected them to be, must be fitter and stronger than I thought :happy: or maybe I just didn't work hard enough. Really enjoyed it though and looking forward to another session tomorrow. Thanks for your input so far, very much appreciated, will start the blog tomorrow, I hope, to keep you updated - been having problems getting on and staying on broadband - think all our telephone cables or whatever must have drowned!!! Have just installed a new modem that Vodafone sent down so hopefully that will do the truck. Thanks again
  • MakingThisHappen
    Options
    I think your best bet is talking to your trainer hun. If you are having huge exercise output you need the fuel, not only to help you DO the workouts but also to help rebuild your muscle POST workout etc
    Your trainer might suggest a less intensive workout in this case?
    Otherwise, like Karen said - BIG calories will add up quickly, carbs, protein etc - doesn't mean huge meals necessarily :)
    xx