When you need something sweet

Options
Anniel88
Anniel88 Posts: 150 Member
hi everyone,

I'm typically not a big fan of sweet things; I’d much rather have a good steak than a piece of cake, but some foods need a little bit of sweetness. What do you do when you’d like to sweeten up something you’re cooking? What type of sweetener substituted do you use? (I don’t just mean splenda or artificial sweeteners.) And how do you use it in cooking/baking?

Replies

• DMW914
    DMW914 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I like Stevia and I've come to find that they are not all alike as most of them have a bitter aftertaste. NuNatuals liquad Stevia does not give me the problem like the other brands that I've tried such as Stevia in the Raw, Truvia, Sweet Leaf Stevia, Store Brand Stevia etc. I like to use it in unsweetend almond milk with a lil extra unsweetend cocoa powder for my version of chocolate milk, I make homemade cheesecake w/a almond floured crust (following a recipe from your lighter side of low carb), my homemade marinara sauce (as I like mines a lil sweet) & Smoothies to name a few things. No bitter aftertaste but it has to be that brand. I hope this helps.Good Luck!
  • SandyMilton
    Options
    omgosh Dina, you just posted something very similar to my "go to" sweet - except I don't put cocoa in it (yet!!!!) - I use the Unsweetened Vanilla Flavored almond milk and I"m pretty liberal - 1-1/2 cups, with 2 packets of whatever sweetner I can grab, admittedly while I LOVE stevia, I mostly use just splenda.

For cooking meals that need a touch of sweetness that I don't trust the artificials with, I go with Agave nectar. Honestly I use it very rarely and sparingly anyway as it does have calories, carbs, sugar values in the nutritional data, however, it's a low glycemic index food with a low to moderage glycemic load........ but that's just me :)
  • mensasu
    mensasu Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    http://janeshealthykitchen.com/just-like-sugar-natural-chicory-root-sweetener/#.UIGFwml27sc

I have some Benefibre which in Canada is Inulin from Chicory. I find it thicks and sweetens things, so I googled chicory root and found the above link. Haven't tried it but it might be a good sugar substitute.
  • Anniel88
    Anniel88 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll be experimenting with some different options and if anything turns out to be tasty, I'll post the recipes for you all to enjoy!
  • purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Splenda's my friend.