Week of 10/14-10/20

Options
roro73
roro73 Posts: 153 Member
This week is week one of this group. My hope is to stay motivated to doing at least 30 minutes of any kind of physical activity at least 5 days a week.

I think I'll be checking in each morning for the previous day. If I know I need to report what i've done then I think I'll stick with it :) I'm thinking a really simple format like the one below keeps it easy & reasonable yet informative. You can just copy & paste into a reply :)

10/14 -
10/15 -
10/16 - 1 hour of zumba class
10/17 -
10/18 -
10/19 -
10/20 -

Replies

• kgray005
    Options
    I find 30 minutes a day very do-able! I have gone from not excercising at all to this my 3rd week doing 30 minutes a day 6 days a week.

So far this week each day I have done 20 minutes of light jogging with 15 minutes of brisk walking.
  • KristenE83
    KristenE83 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I kickbox for at least an hour (sometimes 2) 3 times a week... but those other days I feel like I need something else. Adding 30 minutes to my off days is a great idea. I will be checking in for some ideas just to keep it fun!
  • roro73
    Options
    Yea, I think 30 minutes a day is going to be really do-able. I was inspired by a friend that did a status update that was just lacking motivation to workout on a consistent basis. I had read a book years ago "Never Say Diet" by Chantel Hobbs. She started at a weight over 300 lbs and her first commitment was 30 minutes of cardio 6 days a week for a month straight before she even moved on to thinking about changing her eating habits. There was a part in the book where she said she realized it was 10:00PM & she hadn't gotten her workout in so she walked around her block repeatedly for the 30 minutes even though she was tired and really didn't want to. She had made a commitment to herself & was not about to break it. She looks like a model now...she's gorgeous and did it the right way. I need to develop that kind of dedication.

I personally think I've got the nutrition part down (at least I know what I'm supposed to do...lol). But for me, my workouts are so sporadic. One week I'll kill it at the gym & log 5-7 hours then the next I'll do absolutely nothing. I think this way, even though it's just a small time commitment, it will build a habit of working out daily. I'm not limiting myself to cardio like she did. I'm planning on mixing it up with weights and fun classes along with walks/eliptical/bike when I feel like I just need to get my time in :happy:
  • choonkie247
    choonkie247 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey all! Joined this site and this group today....my main goal is to make physical activity a habit in my life....I'm here to take it one day at a time :)
  • Whimzeee
    Whimzeee Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I joined My Fitness Pal about a week ago and I'm still learning how to get around this site. Just discovered this group and am gonna try my best to get in at least 30 minutes of exercise a day.

I used to be an avid exerciser until last year - and then moved to a new town. So with all the packing and driving back and forth unloading, my exercise got swept under the table. Now I'm finding it hard to get motivated again. I'm hoping by reading everyone's posts I'll be able to get into full swing again!
  • GrannySparkle
    GrannySparkle Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Ok count me in on this one

10/14 30 minutes bowling (takes us 2 hours and 4 people on the team...so I come up with 30 minutes)
    10/15 34 minutes of walking
    10/16 34 minutes of walking
    10/17 37 minutes of walking
    10/18
    10/19
    10/20
  • alienelyssa21
    Options
    10/14 -
    10/15 - Did 25 minutes of 30 day shred, and walked half a mile while walking the dog
    10/16 - Did 25 minutes of 30 day shred, and walked .6 of a mile while walking the dog
    10/17 - Did 25 minutes of 30 day shred, and walked .8 of a mile while walking the dog
    10/18 -
    10/19 -
    10/20 -
  • survivor1952
    survivor1952 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    My endocronologist told me today she wants me to get 20-30 minutes of exercise a day now in addition to my losing weight/eating better and now that my meds (synthroid for thyroid & metformin for pre-diabetes) seem to be working correctly.
  • munanabanana
    munanabanana Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    10/14- 8 minutes of abs, =( Not enough
    10/15- Aerobic Blast: 1 hr, Spinning: 1 hr- 2 hrs Woo!
    10/16- Treadmill/elliptical/spinning: 45 minutes Woo!
    10/17- 8 minutes of abs, aw failed again
    10/18
    10/19
    10/20
  • Shug_E
    Shug_E Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, I think this group will work for me! I have been challenging myself to do more physical activities and like some of you, if I have to report it, I would be more apt to actually do it.
  • Shug_E
    Shug_E Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    10/14 -
    10/15 -
    10/16 -
    10/17 - 40 minutes of water walking / calisthenics
    10/18 -
    10/19 -
    10/20 -
  • hockeydad725
    hockeydad725 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Count me in...This will help keep me accountable and motivated!

10/14 -
    10/15 -
    10/16 - 48 Minutes Walking
    10/17 - 50 Minutes Walking
    10/18 -
    10/19 -
    10/20 -
  • roro73
    Options
    Good morning!! I'm so happy to see so many members...I really thought just a few people from my friends list would be joining but it looks like this group is definitely filling a need :)

I made it to the gym last night but only because I packed my clothes & changed at work before I left. I did the bare minimum, but I did it and that's what counts right???...lol

10/14 -
    10/15 -
    10/16 - 1 hour of zumba class
    10/17 - 30 minutes (plus 5min cool down) on the eliptical
    10/18 -
    10/19 -
    10/20 -
  • roro73
    Options
    Ok count me in on this one

10/14 30 minutes bowling (takes us 2 hours and 4 people on the team...so I come up with 30 minutes)
    10/15 34 minutes of walking
    10/16 34 minutes of walking
    10/17 37 minutes of walking
    10/18
    10/19
    10/20

I love the bowling idea! See I never even would have thought of that, but you're definitely moving and it sounds like fun :)
  • roro73
    Options
    10/14- 8 minutes of abs, =( Not enough
    10/15- Aerobic Blast: 1 hr, Spinning: 1 hr- 2 hrs Woo!
    10/16- Treadmill/elliptical/spinning: 45 minutes Woo!
    10/17- 8 minutes of abs, aw failed again
    10/18
    10/19
    10/20

Hey, you got some intentional movement in on those ab days and had some awesome workouts so far with 3 days left. Great job!
  • roro73
    Options
    My endocronologist told me today she wants me to get 20-30 minutes of exercise a day now in addition to my losing weight/eating better and now that my meds (synthroid for thyroid & metformin for pre-diabetes) seem to be working correctly.

Welcome to the group! From a quick glance at your profile it looks like you have alot going on in your life. Hopefully we can keep each other motivated to get that movement in every day!
  • KristenE83
    Options
    So, to add just another awesome (sarcasm) hill to get over... I just found out today that I should NOT "take up the sport of running or jogging". I was going to mainly rely on jogging for my 30 minute activity... fail! I don't have any serious injuries, just a stupid back issue that we want to prevent damaging or deteriorating. So there goes my bright idea. I'm going to be checking this group out for in-house workout ideas! Thanks in advance for your imput!
  • roro73
    Options
    I'm not super creative when it comes to workouts, but even a 30 minute walk would be great. I have a friend that did WW and the ONLY exercise she did was walk and lost 80lbs! Once the weight was off she started branching out with her activities but that's how she lost almost all of her weight.

At one point I was doing the couch to 5k and even though I really wanted to love running, I just didn't. I hated it. It hurt and bad. My joints, my knees, my back, even my feet. I talked to my doctor and he told me once I drop about 20lbs to try it again and I may feel differently. So I guess my point is, even if it's just a daily walk as brisk as you can comfortably do, it's better than not doing anything at all.
  • KristenE83
    Options
    You know what, thats a good point. A 30 minute walk is better than a 30 minute couch potato session. If all else fails walk! I did try to do the couch to 5k program. I felt like it held me back a little, and since I wasn't training for a 5k I kinda just went freestyle lol. I used to HATE jogging, but I kinda got into it. The first time I jogged, I killed my back. But I got a good pair of running shoes, and my back felt fine. I guess jogging in general is harsh on your back, knees, hips. Or atleas that's what I've been told. Thanks for the tip though... Idk why I didn't just think of it myself lol
  • yannethfr
    yannethfr Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I just joined and I'm trying to get back into it after having completely fallen off the map and regained some of the weight I had worked so hard to lose! Very frustrating I tell you.

10/14/12: NADA!
    10/15/12: NADA Again....FAIL.
    10/16/12: Walked home from work; about 45 mins (2.5 mi). carrying heavy groceries the last 20 mins.
    10/17/12: Walked 25 mins @ lunch
    10/18/12: Walking home again; about 45 mins (2.5 mi)....no groceries this time. (I think, I'm sending this from work right before I leave). :)