eating low carb & weight loss

Options
Karren188
Karren188 Posts: 101 Member
I'm on the Bouari Clinic weight loss program. I wasn't sure how the weight loss was accomplished until I read all the literature but this seems to be a ketosis type diet based on low carbs high protein. I'm thinking of increasing my caloric intake with things that are allowed on a ketosis diet. After starting to program my daily intake into MFP I noticed if I follow their plan, I'm lower on calories than I thought.

I've been on the plan for 18 days and lost 17.5 pounds on the plan. If I add ketosis acceptable calories to my daily intake - will I still continue to burn fat as well as I've been doing? I'd like to add some protein to my daily intake and also widen my variety of veggies. For instance, they don't want me to consume cauliflower, but I really like it and it's pretty versitile as far as veggies go. Also they don't allow dairy products.

I am drowning in water - so that part I have down. I'd like to drop as much of 50 pounds as I can by the new year. Then knuckle down for the rest, because I know it will be a long haul.

I already feel 100% better and I'm totally full of energy. I just don't want to jeopardize myself or come to a grinding halt. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks! Karen

Replies

• LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I am on a very low carb diet. I mean extremely low carb diet monitored by my doctor. I eat cauliflower. I use to eat dairy but have given that up for reasons other than my diet. My calories are divided up as follows (macros): 5% carb, 35% protein, 60% fat. I've lost 55 lbs in 5 1/2 months. I dropped weight very fast the first month. It's been a steady 1.5 to 2 lbs a week since. You are more than welcome to see my food diary to get an idea of the variety of food I eat. Some days I am under my calories. Some days I am over. It all balances out over the week...usually. LOL!
  • SandyMilton
    Options
    I am in the same boat - supervised program and all.

I already know I will be transitioning myself out of that program (i really don't want to stay in it too long) and I'll need to follow a low carb way of eating. My body and weight loss has always responded well to low carb, not to mention it's wonderful not feeling simply exhausted all the time.

I've also got a lot to lose. I'm just thankful after my "body blow up" of last year (partly medical related, and the rest just being ticked off about it and frustrated lol) where I regained most of my previous weight loss back :*( Medically I'm under control now (had a thyroid that just went out of whack and it took a while to bring it back around) so I'm looking forward to the scale dropping more.

I'd acctually briefly visited "onederland" - it was a nice visit, can't wait to go again and stay lol.

At any rate - I'm here because I know my body responds best staying with a lower carb option. Just making preparations for when the time comes when I transition away from the supervised program.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    For calories, at some point they count, even the ones that are 'ketosis approved'. (Bummer, I know!)

If you have too much protein then this will convert to glucose and slow you, too much fat will just be unpleasant (I'm thinking digestion-wise), too many carbs will obviously be a Bad Thing, too much fruit and this will impact ketosis (fructose will affect it more than straight sugar).

I've been finding my limit lately and experimenting with a 100 or so increases and seeing how it goes.

Good luck, we are all experiments of one :)