triggered by being in certain stores- advice?

emd528
emd528 Posts: 30 Member
My grocery store doesn't carry much in the way of household items, so for those things, I go to the drugstore right across the street. Now, the grocery store is pretty healthy (I live in CA, haha), so even most of the 'junk' food there is pretty natural, and there are so many healthy options, the grocery store is not triggering. The drugstore, on the other hand, basically only has junk food, and there's a LOT of it. When I've bought food for binges in the past, it's always been at the drug store, to the point where now just being there is triggering.

I've been doing really, really awesome for about 10 days, and haven't had a *really* bad binge in even longer, maybe about three weeks. I didn't binge this past weekend, which was a big victory, and I feel like I'm in a good place right now emotionally, so I'm not necessarily going to get triggered all on my own. BUT, I know that going to the drugstore will trigger me, and so now I am literally scared to even go in there.

I know the obvious answer is to not go to that store again, but that's realistically not going to happen. There are other (further away) options, but if I need, say, contact solution or nail polish remover, etc., and I'm in a hurry, this drug store is definitely the quickest option. Does anyone have any experience overcoming a big trigger like this?

Replies

• chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Take just enough cash to pay for the things you need; don't bring credit or debit cards.

Focus only on what you need. Don't take any trips down an aisle where you don't need anything.

Take someone with you when you go. It can distract you from the binge thoughts.

Those are my only suggestions. Maybe changing your routine by using another store for awhile can help. It's not as convenient, but it could work. Do you have a store close to your place of employment that you could use instead?
  • McShell12
    McShell12 Posts: 161 Member
    Put a really strong mint in your mouth, so that you have the "just brushed your teeth" feeling when you go into that store. Each time that you are able to stay in control, the easier it does get.