Newbie encouragement

I've spent a whole evening reading over threads, and I know this has been answered and asked and answered a million times but I guess I'm like an insecure child wanting reassurance!

Bit about me,
Height 5ft 4
Weight 150lbs

3.5 years ago I weighed 224lbs.
Through my own efforts and mainly weightwatchers I lost the weight and got down to 140.

However I have SERIOUSLY struggled to maintain since then. Having read all the info I do agree that I need to eat more to kicks start my body.

Losing weight has been amazing. Best thing I ever did. But it has had some negative effects: I'm seriously cold all the time, I have bad raynaud's in my hands, little energy...

I joined MFP in August having randomly gained 5lbs despite eating my WW points allowance or below.
I exercise 4/5 times a week- 2/3 weightlifting sessions and 2 cardio (boxing class and a 4km jog)

I was eating 1200-1300 a week on that and had one cheat day a week but balanced out my calories for the week by eating less some days.

I know I was starving my body essentially and I'm paying for it now. My body cannot seem to lose any more weight. When I cut to 1200 I can lose a few pounds but it quickly goes back on without any change to my eating habits.

I'm keen to try this because I do feel like I'm on the edge of developing severely discordered eating. I love being slimmer, but it's not worth that. I more enthused about being fit, strong and healthy.

I've made radical changes to food over the past 3 years and at the moment I'm eating more healthily than I ever had before, but in moderation.

I'm starting slowly because emotionally I don't think I could handle a massive gain. I'm eating at 1400 this week (with exercise) and going to keep adding 100 on each week.

I just want to hear experiences of others regarding gains so I can have an overall picture. Again, I've read all the threads about what to expect and I do expect the bloating/ some weight gain, but I'd like to know how much!

I'm sorry if I'm making people repeat themselves I'm just incredibly worried and anxious about increasing my cals but I know that I have to do something.

My overall aim is to lose another 10 pounds and get back to 140 and stay there. I don't think that was every going to be possible with weightwatchers. Even when I got to goal, the cals they recommended for maintenance for me were around 1500! That's not maintainable for future health.

So any success or horror stories please share! I'd like to hear all sides of the journey! I just hope it work for me as I feel it's really my last shot.

Replies

• LuluProteinFueled
    LuluProteinFueled Posts: 261 Member
    You have a fantastic attitude towards this and congrats on losing all that weight!! Definitely a good plan for your to increase slowly and then it might be a good idea for you to have a look at doing a reset for at least 8 weeks.

Unfortunately when you up your calories a little gain on the scale is inevitable... until your body adjusts. But don't be scared, it's not going to get out of control. The only way you'd ACTUALLY be putting on fat is by eating over your TDEE every day.

Have you worked out all your numbers by the way? TDEE, BMR, cut value?

My bestest advice to you is to stay off the scale for awhile :wink: