Looking for alternative exercise

Options
Multiple Sclerosis can cause major fatigue a lot of the time and those with MS need to avoid the heat . So swimming in pools that are not extra heated for arthritis patients helps to keep your core body temperature down. The cooler water helps the nervous system function better. For a person with M.S. if they get over heated the connections in the nervous system slow way down and it is harder to move and causes exhaustion. So swimming, dog paddling, exercising or just walking in the water a little is a good way to increase exercise.

Replies

• squeaktones
    squeaktones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    congradlations on your 5 pound weight loss. thanks for the post. i don't know very much about ms so it was educational. i have lots of health issues the primary one is hiv disease. i am leary to go swimming in a public pool or take aqua zumba because some other hiv patients that i have met always seemed to catch something from it. i would dearly look to take the aqua zumba class because my next door neighbor told me how fun it is. you keep on with your exercise. don't get discouraged about weight loss coming off slow. my nutritionist and my doctor both told me that you don't really want to loose more that a pound a week. that way you won't gain it back as quickly.
  • Salkeela
    Salkeela Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I went water-walking with a friend yesterday. Did a little swimming too.

Shouldn't have spent so long in the sauna though - I think I got overheated. Will be stricter next time!
  • Ambermarigold
    Ambermarigold Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm intrigued.....what is 'water walking' Sal??? Sounds interesting! :smile:

Well done on the swimming etc.....
  • Salkeela
    Options
    Water walking - basically the pool is just over waist deep, and the idea is you walk lengths and the water takes away some of the impact and also provides resistance.

I actually found the swimming less energetic - probably because I was a strong swimmer once, and so can be very economical with my movements.
  • Ambermarigold
    Options
    Really?? I've nver come across that exercise over the water, (here in England) It's still likely to be next year before I'm able to so to a swimming bath, because of the PICC Line, (Peripherally Inserted Central Cathater Line), in my right arm. I miss swimming and will enjoy the freedom to get immersed in the water again when I can. It's more than 2 years since I was able to do this and I've put a lot of weight once since having these restrictions, which came about as a result of Chemo treatment innitially and meant I had to avoid public places as I had no immunity. I'd be interested in trying water walking. I'll see if it's called something different here. Thanks. :wink:
  • Salkeela
    Options
    I really don't know the real name of this -Water walking is just what my friend and I call it.

My friend's doctor had suggested that walking in water would help take some of the weight off her joints as she walked. She had a back injury last year and also has fibro, so normal walking is quite painful for her.

I know you can have aqua-aerobics classes - but they are really several steps up from what my friend and I can do... (embarrassingly there was a class of older ladies doing one of these as we were in the pool - and they kept calling out to us to join them - but they were bouncing, running, and doing loads of high energy stuff - so we had to keep declining.)

PS I'm in N.Ireland.
  • Veggiesexercise
    Veggiesexercise Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the encouragement. I am in my 6th week of a pre-diabetes prevention class. Sorry to hear your auto immune disease keeps you out of the pool. However whatever exercise you can get is better than none. I do not need diabetes on top of the M.S.
    My body attacks itself, it basically eats away at the nerve cover. So the signals from the brain go out to move parts of your body and the signals go across the damaged area of the nerve cover slow or jumbled. Even walking 15 Min around the block or using a foot pedaled bike in front if the TV is something. I do not think it costs a lot of money and it is small so it can sit in the corner or in front of your chair.
  • Ambermarigold
    Options
    I have a great static exercise bike Veggieexcerise and as you say, they can be small. Mine has a tiny footprint area. I have a tiny cottage and there is next to no starage. I got this for my last birthday with the intention of getting fitter and loosing a bit of weight. Mine is called the 'Davina' bike. Here in England I got it at Argos. It's great as it fits neatly into a corner, is very sturdy and stable. It also folds up which is genius!! I love the fact it monitors my heart rate, calories burnt, distance covered, time and ODO. I love it and will often use it whilst watching TV . It helps pass the time and distract me from the discomfort I feel using it, especially at the start.
  • Ambermarigold
    Options
    I really don't know the real name of this -Water walking is just what my friend and I call it.

My friend's doctor had suggested that walking in water would help take some of the weight off her joints as she walked. She had a back injury last year and also has fibro, so normal walking is quite painful for her.

I know you can have aqua-aerobics classes - but they are really several steps up from what my friend and I can do... (embarrassingly there was a class of older ladies doing one of these as we were in the pool - and they kept calling out to us to join them - but they were bouncing, running, and doing loads of high energy stuff - so we had to keep declining.)

PS I'm in N.Ireland.

Good evening,

OK..... I have a clearer picture now of what you mean. And I can see how it would be helpful. Gentle resistance. As for aqua aerobics....well I totally understand the problem with that! Back in the time before cancer, strokes and arthritis I did occasionally attend an able - bodied class at my local pool. And even though physically I could do everything except swing my left arm, (due to a cuff rotator injury), I was totally wiped out an hour later. I often saw the other, less able class going through the motions on another day and thought how sedate it looked. Though now I'm sure I wouldn't be able to do all the exercises! Everyone in the class was over 70 years and I think it was actually what's called the GP Referral class. For people referred as part of their weight management programme or post - operative physio exercise. I could probably be referred to something like this if I asked, once my PICC Line is removed, but would feel a little out of place as only 40. I'll possibly look into it after my heart operation. I do miss aqua aerobics.

Nice to have another person on this side of the World, by the way! There aren't that many of us.:wink:
  • Veggiesexercise
    Veggiesexercise Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just started a yoga class for people with MS but even though I have built up walking some over these past few months, my arms have no strength. So even though I look good and I am not in a walker like some of the other class members I can't do nearly what they can do as they have been doing these yoga stretches a lot longer than me. I had lost the use of my hand many years ago for many months with my first MS attack which required IV steroids. That arm is weaker and it trembles when I put weight on it. I know this process wil be slow going, I am hoping to get more strength in both arms. Two lb weights seem to be too much for my arm so I need to start with something else. Maybe a coffe pot or the blender lifting. Anyone have any suggestions on how to build up my arm strength or exercises they know of for this?
  • Sparky1030
    Sparky1030 Posts: 163
    Options
    I've done water walking and want to get back into doing it again. I now live close to a YMCA and basically you use the shallow end of the pool; I would recommend that you don't get deeper than your chest, wear water shoes that are supportive and walk back and forth. I start out with warmups & stretches and then just walk. It's fun and depending on your mobility you can get your heart rate up and feel great at the same time. If you can use your arms go a little shallower and pump them as you walk; even better results. I have had degenerative arthritis since age 17 and am now 60+. I'm very obese and since last fall I've lost 63# by doing seated exercising at home for at least 30 - 45 minutes a day. Try something new that works for you so if you like it you'll be more apt to keep working at losing the weight. Good luck!