Your fav clean snacks to make sure you hit calories?

Any suggestions? Check out my food diary if you like.. I'm trying to work up to getting enough calories but seem to be falling 200-250 short most days.

Gonna get back to adding protein powder into my breakfast which adds about 120... struggling to think of other clean foods to add without too much fat content..

Replies

• If you eat a whole avacado throughout the day, there is 240, or since you like almonds you can increase your intake of those as well. I saw in your diary that you eat those things, that is where my suggestions come from. They are healthy fats so it is good. Bananas are about 100 cals. Olive oil has 120 per tbs, you can add that to veggies. Those are my suggestions. Good luck.
  • wfte
    wfte Posts: 195 Member
    When I was struggling to hit my total I used semi-skimmed milk. Great source of protein and not as filling as a meal, if feeling full is an issue.
  • annemama
    annemama Posts: 245 Member
    I just made Ricotta cheese bakes... Southbeach recipe. So delicious. You don't have to use the splenda, you can use any sweetener you like. Also you can use low fat ricotta, but I just use the regular.

2 cups ricotta (about 500 grams)
    1/4 cup milk (60 mL)
    2 eggs
    4 packets splenda (or other sweetener)
    2 tsp vanilla (10 mL)

Mix well, pour into 4 ramekins. Set ramekins in a baking dish with an inch of water in the bottom and bake for 20 minutes at 350 F (~175 C I think).

I used full fat cheese and milk, so mine came out to be 265 calories each. 20 g fat, 5 g Carbs, 18 g protein.

If you are trying to keep fat low use low fat ingredients and recalculate the recipe.

Now... excuse me while I go hide the other three from my children!
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    1/2 cup plain greek yogurt, 1/2 tsp mint extract 1 tbs dark chocolate chips (Hershey's makes some that are just dark chocolate no crap added)
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Any kind of nut and/or seed, avocados, a square of dark chocolate (look for high quality), plain fresh fruit
  • LisaGirlfriend
    LisaGirlfriend Posts: 493 Member
    My favs: apple with all natural peanut butter; greek yogurt; almonds... YUM!
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    I love nut butters, especially almond butter. But I make sure I use one, that has nothing added to it but the nuts.
    Cashew butter and hazelnut butter are also very tasty :)
  • 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt, 1/2 tsp mint extract 1 tbs dark chocolate chips (Hershey's makes some that are just dark chocolate no crap added)

That sounds delicious! I'll have to try that. My go-tos are nuts and eggs
  • Lisha_R
    Lisha_R Posts: 92 Member
    I am not sure if you would call this clean. I usually have 2 scoops of my protein powder to get my protein up. That's 280calories and 52g of protein. Cottage cheese and avocado would be yummy.
  • SpazzyMal
    SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
    Most stuff that is higher in calories tends to have fat, so there aren't many clean ways to avoid it. My suggestion, however, is to focus less on the fact it's fat, and more on the kind of fats it might be. Nuts and avocados? Have a handful of nuts and a whole avocado if you really want it and need to up your calories. I don't really recommend, say, olive oil, but if it's fat coming from something whole and unprocessed that isn't an animal product, it can't be that bad for you, comparatively.

But I have to say, my go-to snack nowadays is definitely FRUIT. Fruit might not really be super high in calorie, but damn are they tasty. And they have almost no fat, if you're concerned mostly about keeping your fat intake down. You can bake apples with cinnamon on them, freeze bananas and use it like ice cream, or make smoothies. It's a true guilt-free desert.
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    I like homemade hummus and carrot sticks and an apple. Another great snack is 1/2c black beans, 2T salsa, and one serving of corn chips. It's delicious!
  • CanGirl40
    CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
    I just made Ricotta cheese bakes... Southbeach recipe. So delicious. You don't have to use the splenda, you can use any sweetener you like. Also you can use low fat ricotta, but I just use the regular.

1/4 cup milk (60 mL)
    2 eggs
    2 tsp vanilla (10 mL)

Mix well, pour into 4 ramekins. Set ramekins in a baking dish with an inch of water in the bottom and bake for 20 minutes at 350 F (~175 C I think).

Thanks for posting! I have some ricotta sitting in my fridge right now!
    I used full fat cheese and milk, so mine came out to be 265 calories each. 20 g fat, 5 g Carbs, 18 g protein.

If you are trying to keep fat low use low fat ingredients and recalculate the recipe.

• LuluProteinFueled
    LuluProteinFueled Posts: 261 Member
    Most stuff that is higher in calories tends to have fat, so there aren't many clean ways to avoid it. My suggestion, however, is to focus less on the fact it's fat, and more on the kind of fats it might be. Nuts and avocados? Have a handful of nuts and a whole avocado if you really want it and need to up your calories. I don't really recommend, say, olive oil, but if it's fat coming from something whole and unprocessed that isn't an animal product, it can't be that bad for you, comparatively.

But I have to say, my go-to snack nowadays is definitely FRUIT. Fruit might not really be super high in calorie, but damn are they tasty. And they have almost no fat, if you're concerned mostly about keeping your fat intake down. You can bake apples with cinnamon on them, freeze bananas and use it like ice cream, or make smoothies. It's a true guilt-free desert.

Fat is definitely not the enemy and eating fat doesn't mean you're not eating clean. In fact most of us are doing 30%-35% fat in our diet. That means 70g of fat for me each day. As long as you're still within your calorie goal, there is no need to be worried about fat. Fat is also satiating.

Avocados and nuts are absolutely fine.

I'm sorry to disagree, but fruit is not a great option to fill out your calories. It's mostly sugar/carbs and very low in protein.

Preferably, you want things that are high in protein, moderate fat, and low in carbs. Greek yoghurt, cheese, milk, protein shakes, nut butters, eggs, STEAK lol.
  • some amazing suggestions here, thank you all so much!! some things to add to my shopping list this weekend :)
  • SpazzyMal
    SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member

Fat is definitely not the enemy and eating fat doesn't mean you're not eating clean. In fact most of us are doing 30%-35% fat in our diet. That means 70g of fat for me each day. As long as you're still within your calorie goal, there is no need to be worried about fat. Fat is also satiating.

I'm sorry to disagree, but fruit is not a great option to fill out your calories. It's mostly sugar/carbs and very low in protein.

Preferably, you want things that are high in protein, moderate fat, and low in carbs. Greek yoghurt, cheese, milk, protein shakes, nut butters, eggs, STEAK lol.
    I didn't say fat was the enemy. I just said she should try to make the best choice possible if she's going to eat something with a lot of fat in it. But, we have different diet philosophies anyway, Lulu. Fruit might be high in carbs, but I don't think carbs are bad for you in and of themselves, when they are from fruit. I believe it's the carbs in wheat products that are the ones to limit. I also do not eat the majority of the things you pointed out, either, as it's not a part of my dietary restrictions, so I don't usually recommend them to others simply because I recommend what works for me. Not to argue, just to point out where I was coming from, since you quoted me. =)
  • LuluProteinFueled
    LuluProteinFueled Posts: 261 Member

I didn't say fat was the enemy. I just said she should try to make the best choice possible if she's going to eat something with a lot of fat in it. But, we have different diet philosophies anyway, Lulu. Fruit might be high in carbs, but I don't think carbs are bad for you in and of themselves, when they are from fruit. I believe it's the carbs in wheat products that are the ones to limit. I also do not eat the majority of the things you pointed out, either, as it's not a part of my dietary restrictions, so I don't usually recommend them to others simply because I recommend what works for me. Not to argue, just to point out where I was coming from, since you quoted me. =)

Definitely agree that we all need to do what suits us best. Just wanted to make sure that OP was aware of all the options. :drinker:
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member

1/4 cup milk (60 mL)
    2 eggs
    2 tsp vanilla (10 mL)

Hmmm.. do you top this with anything??
  • annemama
    annemama Posts: 245 Member

1/4 cup milk (60 mL)
    2 eggs
    2 tsp vanilla (10 mL)

Hmmm.. do you top this with anything??

I usually eat it plain... it is so good. But you could absolutely top it with berries if they are in season where you live.