What is your TSH?

Options
13»

Replies

• lorcart
    lorcart Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    If you're on Facebook there is a group run by Gena Lee Nolin called Thyroid Sexy. There is some AWESOME research/doctor/med info on that site.
  • VickyJo68
    VickyJo68 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi

My TSH is currently 0.2 and my Endocrinologist said not to let it go above 2.

I am on 175mg and 200mg alternate days. If the GP changes it back down to 175mg my TSH goes up to 9.8!

However, no matter what does I am on I still feel exhausted and rubbish

Vicky
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Hi

My TSH is currently 0.2 and my Endocrinologist said not to let it go above 2.

I am on 175mg and 200mg alternate days. If the GP changes it back down to 175mg my TSH goes up to 9.8!

However, no matter what does I am on I still feel exhausted and rubbish

Vicky

I would suggest that you get your free T3 and free T4 levels tested. TSH is a terrible indicator of thyroid function since it's a pituitary hormone (and not a thyroid one), and can also be quite supressed in people supplementing. If your doc won't test free T3/T4, I would find a new doctor.
  • VickyJo68
    VickyJo68 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Sadly no GP in my area will look at T3 because the Endo says it's an unreliable result and the treatment untested. But the labs in my area refuse to test for it! All my other tests have come back normal :-(
  • horselady34
    horselady34 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I just got my results back, tsh is 0.04 & my t4 free is
    0.92, I feel like crap and they are telling me im hyper, I feel very hypo :(
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Mine is 0.01 and no one can tell me why I cant lose weight!! Very frustrated, as I was once very hyperthyroid, but ive never been skinny. I was off meds completly for many years, then was told i was slightly hypo thyroid, and put on 1 mcg....I was feeling good on this, but now they tell me im normal, i am FAT unable to lose weight despite excercising and eating well (not lately).......Im at my wits end and so incredibly frustrated its ridiculous!:cry:

You can GAIN weight with hyperthyroid or have just as many metabolic issues. My endo says it's kind of a common misconception that having a super low TSH means the weight will melt off. If it's not a proper TSH for your body, metabolism and other hormones can suffer.

I felt good at a slightly lower TSH than normal... then ended up, because of thyroidtoxicosis (too high of a thyroid dosage for too long), I had a TSH of 0 and ballooned up more than twenty pounds because of high cortisol on top of it. I know you can feel awesome having higher energy, especially if after having dealt with all the crumminess with hypo, but it's possible you're not doing yourself favors staying at a dose that makes you at 0.01.

Because a TSH of 0.01 ISN'T in the normal range, but I know of several endos who will let higher or lower TSHs slide because of patient response (as in, you feel better, so they let it slide).

But I'm not sure what your actual dose is, or what your meds are. 1mcg? Of what?
    Plus, you admitted you haven't been eating well lately... eat well CONSISTENTLY for awhile and see if there's a change at all.
  • sandhillsmom
    sandhillsmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I've finally reached hypo levels after battling being hyper for 3 years. Current TSH is 100, T3 is 1.62, T4 is less than 0.25, and Vitamin D level is 16. I've started synthroid at 125 and get rechecked in 6-8 weeks. I feel every ounce of the crazy hypo levels from 'the dry scratchy hoarse throat to the dry itchy skin including my eyes. Vision is impaired, joints ache, and muscles feel like slugs and I couldn't be happier to be honest. I've been so far to the other end being hyper that this almost comes as a relief. I know what I am looking at, I know what to expect. I feel like for the first time in several years I have control.

I know it's going to take time and patience has to be my middle name or even my first name but I know I can get to a comfortable, liveable and close to normal existence again for me.

Jan
  • huskergirl0731
    huskergirl0731 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I was at a 7 when I was diagnosed. I had my whole thyroid removed within a year due to nodules and Hashimoto's disease. I have been just above a 1 for about 3 months alternating between 175 and 200 mg of Synthroid. They recently added 10 mg daily of Cytomel.
  • islandmonkey
    Options
    YIKES!!! You are insanely hypo, I don't know how you're awake enough to type.

You should be taking some high Vit D to get those levels up! I'm currently on 4000 IUI because I'm only at 40. I'd encourage you to take a high dose (in consultation with your doctor) to get that up.

I've finally reached hypo levels after battling being hyper for 3 years. Current TSH is 100, T3 is 1.62, T4 is less than 0.25, and Vitamin D level is 16. I've started synthroid at 125 and get rechecked in 6-8 weeks. I feel every ounce of the crazy hypo levels from 'the dry scratchy hoarse throat to the dry itchy skin including my eyes. Vision is impaired, joints ache, and muscles feel like slugs and I couldn't be happier to be honest. I've been so far to the other end being hyper that this almost comes as a relief. I know what I am looking at, I know what to expect. I feel like for the first time in several years I have control.
  • islandmonkey
    Options
    I was at 3.8 forever and felt like crud. Finally convinced a doc to up the overall medication level by adding cytomel. Now I'm at 2.4 and feel much better. I don't know why these docs are so stingy with the thyroid meds. I mean, if "normal" is .5-5, why the hell not just treat it down to 2 instead of 4 if people still have the symptoms that brought them in for treatment in the first place?

"Normal" has actually been .3-3.0 since 2002, but many/most doctors in the US don't seem to be aware of this. It should be dropped to 2.5 in the near future, with many educated thyroid doctors arguing for the top to be 2.0.

Honestly, they are just really uneducated, because they don't have a lot of time to keep up with more than one or two areas of research. So they think that 3.8 is ok.

Even testing and dosing based on just TSH is insane. It's not even a thyroid hormone, and there are now tests to accurately measure thyroid hormones (T3 and T4).
  • islandmonkey
    Options
    I'm at 4.8

This is VERY hypo, hopefully you are getting properly treated.
  • islandmonkey
    Options

Shivits,
    My Endo put me on 1 Grain of Armour, then Cytomel once with the Armour in the AM. Last visit he added another Cytomel for the afternoon. I'm curious, do you eat at regular hours and have any trouble remembering to take the Cytomel in the afternoon. I don't always eat at the same time and have a hard time regulating the meds. How do you handle the time frames for your meds??.

It is very strange for a doctor to add cytomel on top of Armour. This is because pig thyroid actually already has more T3 than humans naturally make. So on Armour, you really shouldn't need MORE T3. I worry that your balance may be way off.

Instead of just taking more T3 in the afternoon, why not split your dose of Armour between the two times of day?

Wow, I agree - there should be no reason to add cytomel to Armour??

Have you had your free T3 and free T4 tested? What were the results?
  • oklanoue
    Options
    2 months ago my TSH was at 4.23 and was put on meds at 25 mg just was retested and all other numbers are great and TSH has dropped to 3.31 but the doc says he really would like to see it in the 2-3 range so he upped the dose to 50mg and I go back for testing in 6 months...only thing I have noticed is that I am not as tired...:smile:
  • artslady96
    artslady96 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    My TSH was 1.4 a few weeks ago when I visited my endocrinologist. I feel pretty good, so we are holding my dose steady at 75mcg Synthroid for now. Began my journey at 4.5 feeling like garbage.

I agree with other posters; find a new endocrinologist if he/she won't take how you feel into account when adjusting meds.
  • Juliane_
    Juliane_ Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    These days my TSH is .5 or less. But TSH is really not the right way to measure thyroid function. TSH is a pituitary hormone, not a thyroid hormone. It is more important to measure thyroid hormones, like Free T3s and T4.

Unlike some people, I started seeing positive results with NDT right away. The T3 definitely kicks in pretty fast. I use my NDT sublingually, which may be why I got quick results. Synthetic T-4 only treatment did not work for me at all, it actually made me worse.

This has been exactly my experience. I haven't found an endo to treat me so I'm being treated with a Nurse Practictitioner who also has Hypothyroid so she's in treatment herself and understands first hand what you go through being hypo. She checks everything. Since being on natural thyroid hormones my hair has been growing. I have all these little wild hairs all over the place because they are too small yet to lie down but I love it because it means in time I'll have a full head of curls once again. :) I'm really happy with my current treatment. I was last checked in August. My TSH was about 1. something. I can't check right because my personal email is blocked on this computer but my TSH is down by a lot.

I would say that you try to find a doctor who is open minded about treating you with symptoms as they did back in the day. For me it doesn't matter how "stable" synthorid may be compared to other meds...the truth of the matter is I feel normal and better with natural hormones. I think the T3 is responsible for that.
  • nakiarhall
    nakiarhall Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My TSH is 12.5