TDEE vs BMR....

Options
flslp87
flslp87 Posts: 175 Member
I've seen all these initials tossed around and understand them a 'little' bit.....but I'm from the age that always thought that to lose weight I needed to eat less....hwoever as i've been working out more I'm starting to think that NO, I need to eat more to lose weight....

So....can someone explain to me the TDEE and the BMR, etc.....I do know that 3500 calories is a pound and I need that deficit in a week to lose that pound but am not sure I understand exactly WHY my body needs more calories to lose....

And why I'm on this stinking plateau when I'm working out a ton (at least for a mom who works w/ 3 kids who are all over the place and one who is 50)

Replies

• Larisonlj
    Larisonlj Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    This is my understanding and take on it (others may be more knowledgeable)
    TDEE is your total daily energy expenditure, so the calories you burn living your daily life, working, walking, exercise based on how active you are.
    BMR is your basal metabolic rate which is the calories you need to sustain life, say if you were in a coma.

You are not supposed to ever eat below BMR.
    Some people take TDEE -10%, or 15%, or 20% for weight loss purposes.

The important thing is to accurately calculate your TDEE. If you don't calulate it correctly and then you cut whatever % and then you also workout you may not be feeding your body/muscle enough.
  • flslp87
    Options
    That's the way I thought it was too.....AND since I have a FITBIT it gives me my daily TDEE ad I can average it over a week to know my average. I also know what my BMR is and have set an amount of calories that I am supposed to 'eat' to lose....however i either stayed the same or gained a bit....I've decided to decrease a few more calories but not sure that's the secret either.....so darn frustrating...
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    Hmmmm. I'll have to look into this Fitbit. Do you wear it all day? The whole TDEE and BRM thing is such a mystery to me.
  • flslp87
    Options
    Yes, I wear it all day. Small and I clip it on my pocket and it constantly measures my steps, calories burned, flights climbed and how far I've traveled....I don't log my exercises into MFP but when I upload my fitbit info it communicates w/ MFP to give me my calories burned. The only time I've logged is when I have worn my HRM and it has a different number on it then my fitbit does....however I find that the numbers in MFP are way high for actual calories burned.....

the BRM number is just a formula.