A Vital Necessity: Chapter 2

Simple6
Simple6 Posts: 170 Member
:heart: :heart: :heart: "One of the best aids to freedom is asking God for a lot of help--and asking often." :heart: :heart: :heart:

Dear Ones,

This week of study with you has been such a blessing to me. There is something about being able to share the journey that enhances the process. I felt very encouraged by you. You each have so much to give and share. You are a vital necessity in this study. :love:

This weeks focus is learning to prioritize our thinking.....so that Godly thinking becomes our highest priority. This is what being a wise steward of our thoughts looks like. I must admit that up until recently, my thoughts were allowed free reign in my head. Needless to say, this resulted in much turmoil in my emotions. I am now learning how to discipline my thoughts according to His word. I am asking and asking for His help but spending my thought time on His answers. I love how He is teaching me to walk in the freedom He has provided. For truly, I didn't know how and am only just beginning to understand. Just as God had to teach the Israelites how to be free, to come out of that slavery mentality, He is teaching me to stop thinking like an "Egyptian." I am no longer a slave to my thoughts. I submit only to God. He is necessary for my vitality and a vital necessity for my life.

I would like to share with you something that taught me what a vital necessity is. Almost 12 years ago, my beautiful baby girl was born. The birth went awesome and she was perfect. We brought her home and my husband went to take a shower. I was holding her in my arms and suddenly her whole face began to turn purple. She stopped breathing. My mom was with me and called 911. I was panicked and I begin to rubbed her arms and face and to undress her. Finally, she took a breath and started breathing again. The fire men arrived and saw her all pinked cheeked and rosy. They felt like I over reacted. They could only see her completely normal and breathing. They could find nothing wrong. But I knew something was not right. I had my husband drive me to the doctor's office and the doctor was very concerned about what she saw. She had us go the hospital. During this time, Soliana had stopped breathing three more times. Each time, I had to touch her and speak to her to get her breath. Sometimes, she breathed right away and sometimes it took a few seconds. They ran all kinds of tests but couldn't pinpoint what was going on. They sent us home and had nurse come with us to train us in how to use the heart monitor and to do infant CPR.

The nurse had just hooked Soliana up the the monitor and was instructing us to not touch her when the alarm went off. She wanted Soliana to self correct. That is when the alarm went off. Soliana was getting more purple by the second and the alarm did not trigger her to breath. Finally, the nurse begin to touch her and stimulate her to breath. Soliana breathed. Human touch was a vital necessity to Soliana. Without it, I believe she would have died. We spent the next six months with the heart monitor going off at all times of the day. Each time, I would pick her up and touch her and speak to her. Her ability to breath depended completely on us being able to stimulate her and touch her. She eventually grew out it.

I want His Word to be the most important thing in my life.....so that my life depends on it. I see myself just like my Soli, I am an infant in this "training my thoughts arena." I can go hours and days without really focusing on Him and it steals my life. Gently, the Holy Spirit strokes me with His Word. His touch radiates life and brings me back to walking in the Spirit. It is not about me self correcting. I cannot. Fleshly positive thinking does not bring life......Only His touch does that. His word, His breath in me. I have asked Him to help me desire Him. To show me how to make Him a vital necessity in my life. It is His touch that brings me His Spirit.

This is my focus for you this week:

Ask the Lord to give you a desire for Him. To teach you how to long for Him. Begin everyday and end everyday with a version of that request and see what happens. It is not about you building relationship with Him but allowing Him to draw you into relationship with Him. Just like the alarm did not cause Soliana to breath, this is not about us praying more or reading more. It is about trusting Him to create in us a heart for Him. We are not dating God. We are allowing the Holy Spirit to woo our hearts. To teach us how to love Him. He is the perfect teacher because He is love. His love is vitally necessary for us all.

Father,

I pray over these precious ladies that you would help us all learn to desire you. Give us an unquenchable thirst for you. We long to know you. In knowing you, learn how to walk that out in our daily lives. Help us to set our minds on and seek you first in all that we do and say. Help us to recognize where we are holding our breath....and not breathing in your life. Help us to breath you in. Allowing you access to our most intimate places. Be the Lord of our lives. Be the Lord of our thoughts. Be the Lord of our words. In Jesus Name, Amen

Replies

• Snitch1
    Snitch1 Posts: 201 Member
    Hello dear Sisters in Christ:

I am so HAPPY!! :love: :love: :love: I got my book today ($0.61 on Amazon,, used good condition)
    -no workbook yet-I accidently ordered 2, so if anyone needs one, when I get them, I will mail it to whoever needs one-pls let me know!.:heart::heart: :heart: :heart:
    I am so sorry to have been late in commenting-something really strange just happened..I was writing in on one of the topic's, and letting everyone know how I became to be where I am today.
    The multiple rapes, incest, etc.:ohwell:
    The lips-how they lie, and I had looked up and quoted many verses to share.
    Literally, it had taken 2.5 hours to write as much as I did-it was a long long post..and suddenly, it was GONE!!:noway:
    What do I think happened? Well, it could be many reasons, but what I am going with is, the post was meant for one particular person, as well as kind of an over-view to all of you so you might know me better.
    So, I PM the one who asked the questions I personally had the answers she has questioned.
    I am hoping it was just a glitch that the Lord let happen..maybe I was putting out TMI..
    Or, Satan did not like the way, I was showing I handled some of my life by looking up all those verses about the lying tongue.:grumble:
    Either way..here I am.

Jenni said the following, and it really resonating in my heart and mind:
    I want His Word to be the most important thing in my life.....so that my life depends on it. I see myself just like my Soli, I am an infant in this "training my thoughts arena." I can go hours and days without really focusing on Him and it steals my life. Gently, the Holy Spirit strokes me with His Word. His touch radiates life and brings me back to walking in the Spirit. It is not about me self correcting. I cannot. Fleshly positive thinking does not bring life......Only His touch does that. His word, His breath in me. I have asked Him to help me desire Him. To show me how to make Him a vital necessity in my life. It is His touch that brings me His Spirit.

Hmm..........."I can go hours and days without really focusing on Him and it steals my life." Oh..I have thought that so many times in the last..well, honestly, FOREVER.
    The ironic thing is my Bible is very rarely out of arms reach, unless I am in the kitchen.
    So, why am I NOT feeding my heart and soul with the Bread of LIFE instead of Cheetos? No, I haven't eaten Cheetos, but I watch TV, play with my dog, do about anything except pick up that Bible, unzip it and start feeding myself CALORIE FREE Bread of Life!:noway:

I have even discovered that when I am looking up a verse to help other's, I get all caught up in the Bible..and forget to send the email, or whatever. Originally, I had decided to send a few verses about lying lips and the consequence's, and I ended up reading pages and pages. But, when I wake up in the morning, the last thing I think of is seeking my Lord for a plan for the day.
    Yes, I have gotten better at praising and thanking the Lord, when he answers my prayers immediately.."OH Jesus, please help me find my keys.." "Oh..thank you Jesus, you are awesome!"
    But as far as starting my day ACTIVELY with Jesus, Nada, Nope. No suree.
    Why? This is the Lord who has brought my life so far.
    This is my Savior, my Creator, My Calm place in the storm.
    And, I don't go to Him for everything, because I am so BIG, and BAD, I can handle everything myself.
    Bull Hockey.
    I am gonna get into this book..and read the heck outta it..
    so Ladies..Watch out!!
    Blessing to ALL of us!
    Sis Nicolette
  • Simple6

Hmm..........."I can go hours and days without really focusing on Him and it steals my life." Oh..I have thought that so many times in the last..well, honestly, FOREVER.
    The ironic thing is my Bible is very rarely out of arms reach, unless I am in the kitchen.
    So, why am I NOT feeding my heart and soul with the Bread of LIFE instead of Cheetos? No, I haven't eaten Cheetos, but I watch TV, play with my dog, do about anything except pick up that Bible, unzip it and start feeding myself CALORIE FREE Bread of Life!:noway:

I have even discovered that when I am looking up a verse to help other's, I get all caught up in the Bible..and forget to send the email, or whatever. Originally, I had decided to send a few verses about lying lips and the consequence's, and I ended up reading pages and pages. But, when I wake up in the morning, the last thing I think of is seeking my Lord for a plan for the day.
    Yes, I have gotten better at praising and thanking the Lord, when he answers my prayers immediately.."OH Jesus, please help me find my keys.." "Oh..thank you Jesus, you are awesome!"
    But as far as starting my day ACTIVELY with Jesus, Nada, Nope. No suree.
    Why? This is the Lord who has brought my life so far.
    This is my Savior, my Creator, My Calm place in the storm.
    And, I don't go to Him for everything, because I am so BIG, and BAD, I can handle everything myself.
    Bull Hockey.
    I am gonna get into this book..and read the heck outta it..
    so Ladies..Watch out!!
    Blessing to ALL of us!
    Sis Nicolette

Sweetest Friend Nicolette, :heart:

I so identify with you.....I too, at times can get so caught up in the word but totally ignore it other times. That is one of the strategies of enemy. To keep us busy and distracted. This is why this process is so good for us. It helps us recognize it and change it. It helps us be intentional. Just reading your post helped me to refocus. I want His delicious calorie free, super nutritious bread of life. Thank you Lord, for helping all of us, not only to receive your love but to faithfully and intentionally seek it. You are our perfect Helper.
  • Simple6

But now I am seeing the ERROR of this type of condemnation. MEMEME! DonnaLynn should be doing and DonnaLynn should be thinking , saying, reading...As I consider this in the presence of God, I think there are two things that He has given to change this me-focused self-condemnation.

First, knowing that God is ALWAYS with me. He is the one who does all the effort of coming close to me. And He knows my heart and that I want to please Him and be with Him. I am not rebelliously excluding God from my life. I am not neglecting God and His Word because I am hateful or willfully choosing wrong...

Secondly, God will not force His way into a conversation or an area of my life; He waits for an invitation. The great thing about this is that once invited He JUMPS at the chance to make the changes we invite Him to make!!! When we ask for something in His will, HE GIVES IT...HE PROMISED!!! We have all seen this! We worry, fret, or neglect some area of our lives and then finally break down and cry out to God and BOOM!!! The answer is there. Like the prodigal returning, we are met by God RUNNING to us with open arms and gifts to give us more than we wanted from Him!!! WOOHOO!!!

With these in mind today, instead of planning a prayer hour and a bible reading marathon and another activity that will disappoint me and make me feel guilty, I ask Father, give me a love in my heart for you and your Word and your presence like I have never known. I do want to run to your Word. I want to wake up with you on my mind and a deep love for including you in every move I make BEFORE I do, say, or think anything. Lord I really want this because You are so good and I long to know you and be close to you. I can only do this with you, not on my own. Thank you, God that you are patient, kind, loving, and good. I love you and I want you to give me the kind of love for you and others and even myself that you prayed for before you gave your life for mine. Make me desire you and help me when you call and I want to wait or disobey to sense your great love. You call me to what you want from me and I will not go wrong when I go with you. Guide me to the passages, sermons, verses, memories, friends, and visions that you have in mind for me today. I ask this for me and all of these ladies and all who know you! LORD, THANK YOU THAT YOU HAVE ANSWERED THE PRAYER OF YOUR ONLY BEGOTTEN SON WHEN HE PRAYED THAT THE LOVE YOU HAVE FOR HIM MAY BE IN ME!!! :heart: :love: :heart:

John 17:25-26
    25 O righteous Father! The world has not known You, but I have known You; and these have known that You sent Me. 26 And I have declared to them Your name, and will declare it, that the love:heart: with which You loved:heart: Me may be in them, and I in them.”

(My pulse is up and I am on fire! My vital signs all point to ALIVE and AWAKE!!!)
    My Dearest DonnaLynn,

Truthfully, I must tell you I cried when I read your post. For again you expanded what I couldn't put into words. For so long my relationship with God has been about my failures. I never read enough, prayed enough, did enough. I just plain was not enough. How can my relationship with God grow when I believe I am a complete failure? Never enough? I can tell you I was severely hindered. Until my Lord, helped me to understand how His grace looked in our relationship. Our relationship stopped being about me measuring up and became about Him, lovingly drawing me into His arms. Reading your post just brought that all out in my heart again. Jesus prayed for me that God the father's love would be in me. That just reduces me to tears. In a good way. My heart is so humbled. I know that anything Jesus prayed will most certainly come to pass. His love in me! Now, my relationship has moved from duty and grudgingly giving to joyous delight in spending time with Him. My heart longs for Him. I look forward to His voice and it flows easily. I am not straining to hear. Our conversation is continuous. To see that happening in you is so amazing to my heart. It is my prayer that us all would be able to receive that place of blamelessness that Jesus has granted us, without shame, guilt or condemnation. To flow in His love and His love flowing into and through us. Today, I am greatly touched by His love flowing out of you.:heart::heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • Snitch1
    DonnaLynn and Jenni:

I just wrote your post's and it also brought out in me the absence in my life of the DESIRE to read, the DESIRE to know Him better.

My problem is with the "shoulda/coulds". "I shoulda read my Bible instead of putting away the dishes. I coulda gotten out of bed earlier instead of lying there in that dreamy state for 5 extra minutes." "I shoulda sent 3 cards out today..that is what I promised."

Basically, I work better under pressure. The Fight/flight trait in me is HUGE-but, I do know if I just asked, Jesus would that away too.

Wow, just fell asleep.time to say nitey nite to my lovely dear sisters..Sis Nicolette
  • jaajh
    jaajh Posts: 1,262 Member
    Dear Jenni, Donna and Nicolette,

I came on here to post about what God had been saying to me through this chapter, but first I read what you have all written! What an amazing confirmation of all I wanted to say!

God has been so challenging me this week about my thoughts, but specifically in this chapter, what he was saying to me was that I was not going to get my thought-life sorted until I got my relationship with Him sorted! That whole need/desire to spend that time with the Lord is missing in my life. Getting in quiet time with the Lord has become another thing I know I "need" to do - a bit like that 30 minutes of exercise each day :-) The thing is, that this week I realised that I MAKE the effort at getting in the 30 minutes of exercise - it was hard getting into that routine at first but honestly now if I don't do it then I REALLY miss it. I truly DESIRE to do that exercise. (Never thought I'd be saying that!) Yes, I might huff and puff the way along the road as I jog, or feel like screaming at Jillian when I do the 30 DS, but before I do it I strangely "look forward" to it (and especially LOVE the feeling afterwards) - and recently I genuinely miss it when I don't!

So that led me to asking why I don't feel the same way about my time with God. When I don't get that quiet time in, do I miss it as much? I started feeling guilty about that. Why don't I make it as much a priority as my exercise routine? Then the familiar accusations come in "Call yourself a Christian; a missionary even? What kind of example are you?" etc. etc. But Donna is so right. This is MORE than another "activity" to complete. A relationship is NOT like 30 minutes of exercise - a good thing to do and once it is done you can feel virtuous about it! A relationship is an on-going conversation, a regular bringing those thoughts in line. Yes, it really helps to discipline yourself and put some time aside to actually sit down and read the Word and spend a concentrated block of time in prayer and praise. But at the end of the day, it is the whole life thing that counts.

I think that makes sense in my reasoning, but the question still remains as to where my priorities lie. How much do I LONG to develop this relationship with God? Is it a vital necessity to me? I guess, as with the exercise, I need to first of all start making time to do it and then I will get into the rhythm, but I want to truly LIVE in that relationship too! Lord, my prayer is that I will long for you with all my heart, that my thoughts will be more like yours and that I will truly live and breathe in line with your Word.

I have battled this past week with my emotions and thoughts. When things go well, I have been on top of the world (like on Monday when Hannah started really getting over her malaria, and I ran 6km non-stop AND I lost weight on my weekly weigh in!) All was right with the world and it was easy to think positive thoughts and praise God! Then the slightest little thing sets me off on a negative thought-spiral. I weighed in on Friday for the start of an elimination challenge I am in and I had GAINED 0.3 lb. It is ridiculous as it is such a MINOR gain, but I got all negative! Thoughts of "Why bother with all this exercise, I can't lose weight!" (Total lie - I had lost loads the week before!) "Who am I kidding thinking I can enter an elimination challenge?" ( Truth: I can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens me) Immediately following that positive declaration of scripture came the killer thought: "That's it! It's because I ALWAYS try to do things in my own strength! I haven't relied on God this week because I think I can do it! Why am I such a failure as a Christian?" etc. etc.

And all that just takes me back to where Jenni started: “One of the best aids to freedom is asking God for a lot of help – and asking often.” I’m asking Lord, I am truly asking: I want to desire you Lord, to LONG for you, to love you in every way. Help me Lord to learn to rest in you and not to continually strive.”

I love all you have shared! So grateful to God for sisters to share this journey with! I am praying we all have a great week and see daily victories in these areas!

Have a great week!

Love, Ali x
  • right2b
    right2b Posts: 93 Member
    :heart: Ladies, I do not have a book presently to read for this study. I reserved a DVD from the library and waiting for my turn. But I am doing the workbook. I really enjoy audio books and lectures more so than reading…it’s so much more interesting for me. So, I will follow along until my DVD gets to me, k?:heart:
    I am so excited as I dive into the word outlined for Chapter 2: A Vital Necessity. I would like to focus on what is the mind of God. Last week, I focused on strongholds. Allow no room for the Devil to place a stronghold on your mind, thoughts, so on. Ask yourself the questions…”is this a weight or a wing?” Free yourself from unnecessary burdens…run the race with the confidence of a WINNER!
    In referencing the Mind of God, I would like to focus on three words: omnipresent, omniscient and omnipotent. ( I can barely contain myself as I am typing). What I would like you to do is a small practice with me, if you could. First, find a comfortable quiet place. Sit. Look out and put your focus on something in the area but just one thing. Now, close your eyes and try to remember the details of what you just looked at in the room. Can you see this in your minds’ eye? Can you change the appearance of this by changing the color, size, age, adding to it or taking from it? What happens? Is it still recognizable or completely different after the changes? Is it notably changed or is the change subtle?? Finally, look at it again and ask yourself…do you like the change? How many times did you change it before you were satisfied? Or not? What we just did was create from something of tangible existence to something that is intangible existence. This single act is what separates us from the animal kingdom and unites us with the heavenly kingdom of God. The ability to visualize in our minds, as God does when He applies His knowledge to the fulfillment of His purpose. Wisdom. God’s Wisdom and Knowledge. A vital necessity. His touch to create from clay mankind and His breath of life…to bring His message.
    He is omnipresent : “God, in the totality of His essence, without diffusion or expansion, multiplication or division, penetrates and fills the universe in all it parts’ (Theology). It speaks of God being in the world, acting within and through his creation. He is omnipotent: Is there anything to difficult for God? (All-powerful) This means God can do anything if it can be done and if it does not contradict His nature. He reigns over nature, men, angels, Satan and death. He is omniscient: God possesses complete and universal knowledge of all things past, present and future. This includes not only the actual, the possible. He has always and will always exist. God is immutable. God never differs from himself, his divine character remains constant. This is a vital attribute of God.

My prayer is 2Chronicles 16:9
    "For the eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to shew himself strong in the behalf of them those heart is perfect toward him." Father may we see that it is the condition of our hearts towards you that you seek to make perfect...in your Love, Wisdom and Knowledge. Amen.
  • Simple6

So that led me to asking why I don't feel the same way about my time with God. When I don't get that quiet time in, do I miss it as much? I started feeling guilty about that. Why don't I make it as much a priority as my exercise routine? Then the familiar accusations come in "Call yourself a Christian; a missionary even? What kind of example are you?" etc. etc. But Donna is so right. This is MORE than another "activity" to complete. A relationship is NOT like 30 minutes of exercise - a good thing to do and once it is done you can feel virtuous about it! A relationship is an on-going conversation, a regular bringing those thoughts in line. Yes, it really helps to discipline yourself and put some time aside to actually sit down and read the Word and spend a concentrated block of time in prayer and praise. But at the end of the day, it is the whole life thing that counts.

I think that makes sense in my reasoning, but the question still remains as to where my priorities lie. How much do I LONG to develop this relationship with God? Is it a vital necessity to me? I guess, as with the exercise, I need to first of all start making time to do it and then I will get into the rhythm, but I want to truly LIVE in that relationship too! Lord, my prayer is that I will long for you with all my heart, that my thoughts will be more like yours and that I will truly live and breathe in line with your Word.

I have battled this past week with my emotions and thoughts. When things go well, I have been on top of the world (like on Monday when Hannah started really getting over her malaria, and I ran 6km non-stop AND I lost weight on my weekly weigh in!) All was right with the world and it was easy to think positive thoughts and praise God! Then the slightest little thing sets me off on a negative thought-spiral. I weighed in on Friday for the start of an elimination challenge I am in and I had GAINED 0.3 lb. It is ridiculous as it is such a MINOR gain, but I got all negative! Thoughts of "Why bother with all this exercise, I can't lose weight!" (Total lie - I had lost loads the week before!) "Who am I kidding thinking I can enter an elimination challenge?" ( Truth: I can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens me) Immediately following that positive declaration of scripture came the killer thought: "That's it! It's because I ALWAYS try to do things in my own strength! I haven't relied on God this week because I think I can do it! Why am I such a failure as a Christian?" etc. etc.

Love, Ali x

Ali,

I just want to encourage you. I believe that your weigh in was a very important thing. Your month has been filled with much battle and much war fare. The enemy saw an unguarded area and attacked. Of all the things he could have attacked you in, why did he chose this one? What was the strategy? He saw a way to tip you out of balance. A way to get you to focus on what you are doing instead of God. You are learning to trust the Lord with all your heart. Learning your balance point is important. When these emotions came up, it was shocking to you. At first you didn't know what to do with them. Then what you have been learning kicked in. You went to His word. Great job! Still the attack continued. It went on to how you always fail in trusting God by depending on your own strength. Remember that the devil is your adversary. He is the accuser of the brethren. You know you are still under attack if your thoughts sound like accusations. God always speaks in affirmations. The challenge is to stay focused on God through those attacks. I am still very much in the infant stage of this. I often get tipped out of balance. Yet, every time the Lord is there, picking me up or bringing me down and balancing me. Thank you for bringing this strategy of the enemy up, so I can be aware of it. No extremes for me, just Jesus!

I am also thinking about what you said about desiring the Lord. Here is what I know. It requires His help. This desire you are seeking requires development. It does not come instantaneously. Just as you didn't wake up and suddenly desire to exercise. You worked at it. You built strongholds of thinking in your mind concerning it. You daily added to it with thoughts to support it. You created a desire to exercise by daily thinking about it. As I read your post I really saw in my own life how my walk with the Lord really came out of a single prayer of my heart. "Lord, help me desire you." Then He begin to show me how I built desire for other things in my life. Jogging for instance. I thought about it. I read about it. I talk about it. I prayed about it. I asked for His help. I felt like He called me to it. I tried it. I tried it again and again. I saw myself jogging. It was a long process. I had to correct my thinking along the way many times. There were those times I ran and it was such torture. Times, I thought why am I doing this? Then there were the circumstances and people who were sent to discourage me. Through it all, God helped me create a desire to jog that turned into action that lead to me fulfilling His vision for me. Now, like you, I have come to love jogging. This is how it works with creating a desire for Him. we ask Him. We trust. We begin intentionally thinking loving thoughts about spending time with Him. How fun it is to be with Him. How much we enjoy His presence. How we love to learn of Him. We allow these kind of thoughts the freedom to multiply in our thinking. Pretty soon, our actions with begin to follow suit. Reading our word will take on a whole new life. Worship will become something we long for and make time for because it is so enjoyable to us. Our focus will change from quantity to quality. We will no longer measure our relationship by minutes spent in the word and prayer but rather by the quality of conversation we have with God.

I love that you shared this with us. "A relationship is an on-going conversation, a regular bringing those thoughts in line. Yes, it really helps to discipline yourself and put some time aside to actually sit down and read the Word and spend a concentrated block of time in prayer and praise. But at the end of the day, it is the whole life thing that counts." I vote for allowing God to increase our relationship with Himself. For trusting Him to show us what our part of that equations looks like. Letting Him teach us what pleases Him. No more striving to please Him because He is revealing to us what we need to do. :heart:
  • Snitch1
    Dear Sister's in Christ:
    Hello! Praise the Lord! I am so glad that our congregation joined with another Pentecostal Church,and now we are out of our old building (with so many steps) to a beautiful church, and a welcoming congregation! We have been BLESSED!:bigsmile:

I would like to address this response made by Jenni to Ali, as it was something I had been thinking about myself, while I was trying to incorporate a time for the Lord into my scattered life. As I was walking around my house this afternoon, looking at all the mess I have accumulated in the last 3 or so weeks, I was reminded of what my Psychologist told me one day. She said "Nicolette, you often come in and start off our sessions talking about how messy your house is. Now, I know from previous sessions, that when your house is in order, you are calmer, and are more apt to use the cognitive skills you have learned here to problem solve. I want you to think about this: "The state of your home directly correlates to the state of your mind."

Oh Sister's, You do not know how true that is. When I clean, and arrange, it is "dress right dress", just like in the military-my closet is perfection, my linen closet looks like a store-there is a place for everything, and everything is in it's place. And, my mood is calm, my thought's are clear, and I am able to problem solve.

Lately this is a tremendous problem for me.

I really need prayer in this area ladies.

Getting back to the topic, I was thinking it was like exercise..at first, it was a real pain..doing 5 minutes was like agony. If I could have PAID someone to exercise for me, I would have.:laugh:

Jenni said :
    "I am also thinking about what you said about desiring the Lord. Here is what I know. It requires His help. This desire you are seeking requires development. It does not come instantaneously. Just as you didn't wake up and suddenly desire to exercise. You worked at it. You built strongholds of thinking in your mind concerning it. You daily added to it with thoughts to support it. You created a desire to exercise by daily thinking about it. As I read your post I really saw in my own life how my walk with the Lord really came out of a single prayer of my heart. "Lord, help me desire you." Then He begin to show me how I built desire for other things in my life. Jogging for instance. I thought about it. I read about it. I talk about it. I prayed about it. I asked for His help. I felt like He called me to it. I tried it. I tried it again and again. I saw myself jogging. It was a long process. I had to correct my thinking along the way many times. There were those times I ran and it was such torture. Times, I thought why am I doing this? Then there were the circumstances and people who were sent to discourage me. Through it all, God helped me create a desire to jog that turned into action that lead to me fulfilling His vision for me. Now, like you, I have come to love jogging. This is how it works with creating a desire for Him. we ask Him. We trust. We begin intentionally thinking loving thoughts about spending time with Him. How fun it is to be with Him. How much we enjoy His presence. How we love to learn of Him. We allow these kind of thoughts the freedom to multiply in our thinking. Pretty soon, our actions with begin to follow suit. Reading our word will take on a whole new life. Worship will become something we long for and make time for because it is so enjoyable to us. Our focus will change from quantity to quality. We will no longer measure our relationship by minutes spent in the word and prayer but rather by the quality of conversation we have with God."

AWESOME!!:love::heart: :love: :heart: :love: :heart: :love: :heart:

Now, I remember when Jenni was trying to start running. She was so determined, but at the same time, Satan was working double time to stop her. Some days she was happy with how far she went, others..not so much. Then, the pic of her after her first 5k (?)..Look at that smile..
    Beautiful VICTORY for my friend, and also the LORD. Jenni did not let the Devil keep her from her goals..she was determined to win! And, she did!

She has used that same determination to learn to have a real relationship with our Almighty God.:love::love: :love: :love: :love:
    Ohh...How it has blessed me being her friend..she has left me just the right verse on my wall, like she looked straight into my heart.
    Now, she has started this study!
    I feel so honored to be a part of this, with ALL of you!:heart::heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
    Loving this more each day!
    Now I PRAY, with MY WHOLE HEART:

Jesus, Lamb of GOD, help me desire you! Teach me Lord, for I am your WILLING servant. In Jesus name, Amen.

Sis Nicolette
  • Nici, you'll get the prayer. Victory is on the way. Garaunteed.
    And to you other lovelies: did you know that you are lovely because He loves you?? Got any idea of what He sees when He looks at you?? Did you know that YOU are the ONLY reason He came here from Heaven? His ONLY Mission to SEEK YOU and to SAVE YOU, and, having to saved you, now to SAVE YOU TO THE UTTERMOST? Oh!! my fainting heart!! To be ravaged by the King of Glory! Drink it in, girls, because you are ALREADY perfect in His Eyes.......

I'm getting the book this afternoon--:smile:
  • editnonnalynn
    editnonnalynn Posts: 495 Member
    Hey, Bev...Check THIS out! It's in the Made to Crave group...you might like that one, too! UTTERMOST here I Come!!!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/546818-who-i-am-in-christ
  • Simple6
    In referencing the Mind of God, I would like to focus on three words: omnipresent, omniscient and omnipotent. What we just did was create from something of tangible existence to something that is intangible existence. This single act is what separates us from the animal kingdom and unites us with the heavenly kingdom of God. The ability to visualize in our minds, as God does when He applies His knowledge to the fulfillment of His purpose. Wisdom. God’s Wisdom and Knowledge. A vital necessity. His touch to create from clay mankind and His breath of life…to bring His message.
    He is omnipresent : “God, in the totality of His essence, without diffusion or expansion, multiplication or division, penetrates and fills the universe in all it parts’ (Theology). It speaks of God being in the world, acting within and through his creation. He is omnipotent: Is there anything to difficult for God? (All-powerful) This means God can do anything if it can be done and if it does not contradict His nature. He reigns over nature, men, angels, Satan and death. He is omniscient: God possesses complete and universal knowledge of all things past, present and future. This includes not only the actual, the possible. He has always and will always exist. God is immutable. God never differs from himself, his divine character remains constant. This is a vital attribute of God.

My prayer is 2Chronicles 16:9
    "For the eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to shew himself strong in the behalf of them those heart is perfect toward him." Father may we see that it is the condition of our hearts towards you that you seek to make perfect...in your Love, Wisdom and Knowledge. Amen.

Oh Zoey, How I love what you are bringing to this study. I loved doing your exercise. There is always such a richness to what you share. Since I read your post I have been really letting my thoughts soak in the divinity of God. It so amazing how powerful it is to stop and consider any one of those three attributes when I am taking a thought captive. Thinking on those things immediately excites my heart and powers my soul. Our God is amazing! Intentionally thinking about God's Omnipresence has down amazing things for me today. It made God bigger than Jenni and that is wonderful. What a wonderful practice. I encourage all the ladies to intentionally set your mind on the greatness of God, the all powerfulness of God, His ability to know all. See what it does for any trial you are facing. It is amazingly powerful! Thank you God for sharing this with us, through Zoey. :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • Simple6
    Psalm 91:2 (AMP)
    2 I will say of the Lord, He is my Refuge and my Fortress, my God; on Him I lean and rely, and in Him I [confidently] trust!

Today, I read this scripture and what I heard is so powerful. I heard this: What am I saying of the Lord? What I am saying shows what is a vital necessity to me. I usually speak about what I think or what I feel. I still need to do that but from a position of letting the Lord reign and be glorified in what I am speaking.

:heart: Luke 6:45(KJV)
    45 A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh.

:heart: Matthew 6:21 (AMP)
    21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

He is teaching me to desire Him. Part of that process is letting my thoughts be filled with Him and then my conversation. I am remembering how in love I was with my husband. I would think about him all day. I would doodle his name all over my notebook. Every little thing in my life was so important for me to share with him. I would rush home and call him and we would spend hours on the phone. All our free time we would spend together. He was the funnest, coolest person in the world to me(and he still is :blushing: ). He was all I talked about and thought about. My heart treasured him and it overflowed into my conversation and guided all my actions. This is how I want to love the Lord. Making Him a vital necessity means giving up some of my conversations about me. For most of my saved life, my vital necessity has been about what Jenni thinks and what Jenni feels. It is only now, that I am learning a new way of loving Him. Intentionally, choosing to think about God all through out my day. Asking Him questions in my heart like, "How do you see this situation?" "How can I please you with this?" "What words can I speak that would honor you to this person?" I am finding what I speak is vital to my position in honoring Him. It can increase my desire for Him or decrease it. I hear what I say, even if I don't always listen to what I am speaking. Careless complaining or grumbling when my God is so good. I am learning so much.

Here is my life' s prayer:
    Psalm 19:7-14 (AMP)

7 The law of the Lord is perfect, restoring the [whole] person; the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple.
    8 The precepts of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart; the commandment of the Lord is pure and bright, enlightening the eyes.
    9 The [reverent] fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever; the ordinances of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
    10 More to be desired are they than gold, even than much fine gold; they are sweeter also than honey and drippings from the honeycomb.
    11 Moreover, by them is Your servant warned (reminded, illuminated, and instructed); and in keeping them there is great reward.
    12 Who can discern his lapses and errors? Clear me from hidden [and unconscious] faults.
    13 Keep back Your servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me! Then shall I be blameless, and I shall be innocent and clear of great transgression.
    14 Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord, my [firm, impenetrable] Rock and my Redeemer.

Psalm 51:10 (AMP)

10 Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right, persevering, and steadfast spirit within me.
    6 Behold, You desire truth in the inner being; make me therefore to know wisdom in my inmost heart.
  • Percyjs
    Percyjs Posts: 31 Member
    I feel very inadequate as I sit here reading all of your comments and beautiful testimonies.....I truly believe that I am surrounded by women of God and once again, I find myself humbled to even be counted as one of the members of the body of Christ.

I do believe that I may come from a different perspective...and that is that over the last few months....actually, the last year....my whole life has changed. My thought process has turned into an internal prayer life. Not 100% of the time, but a vast majority of my "me" time is spent being aware of the presence of God in my life. I don't say that to boast. In fact, I cling to His presence as my one and only life line...I am ever aware of how utterly lost I was....how directly bound for hell I had been before I met Jesus "on the way to Damascus" ...I don't boast at all, but if I do, it is only in HIS mighty power to change lives.

The thing about becoming consumed with Jesus is that it's so easy to put Him on the back burner.....out of sight, out of mind...But over time, I have purposely directed things around me (that are within my control) to Him. I have the bible on cd and listen on the way to work/home every day. When family is with me, we listen to KLOVE or some other worship music. At home, we guard the TV....cautiously making sure that nothing unholy is being let into our home....When I'm cleaning or cooking, I'm listening to worship & praise on my walkman. (do they still call them that?lol) When we aren't at home, there is still worship & praise being played throughout the house....

It becomes less of a sacrifice every day...prayer becomes more powerful, conversations at home are more and more often including God ....visitors come and comment about how relaxing it is to just sit and chat....

I guess what I'm saying is that we should strive to create and atmosphere that welcomes Jesus into our lives...and keeps him at the forefront of our thoughts.

Are the Snyders always so great at it? Absolutely not!!! Things still go wrong...circumstances still change....we are still dealing with consequences of poor choices we'd made years ago...we still get frustrated...I still fuss at the kids....but His grace is sufficient, right? ;)

There was a time when Jesus was the LAST person on my mind....so I figured that if I could dedicate so much of my attention to the world before, the least I could do is give Him that much attention now.

I am constantly using my surroundings in an effort to keep my mind on Jesus...and that results in my being aware of my actions. I find that I'm more cautious in my speech, more cautious in my reactions and definitely more cautious in my eating....my thoughts become speech, speech becomes action...action becomes external witness.

I feel absolutely responsible for guarding my witness...because all the enemy has to do to render you ineffective for the Kingdom of God is to get you to damage your own witness. (Rev 12:11)

I hope I didn't get too far off topic...if so, I apologize! :)

Have a BLESSED day in JESUS name!!! <3<3<3:) Percy
  • jaajh
    Percy - I LOVED your post! It was such an encouragement. And what a great idea to create an atmosphere all around you, all the time, which just invites you to put your focus on God. I admit to only putting music on occasionally - but what a great idea to have worship songs playing in the background all the time. And a bible on CD ... must look into that one!

I just loved the practical way in which you created the right environment to better guide our thoughts. Thank you for sharing it with us. Off to dust off my CD player now!

Love, Ali
  • editnonnalynn
    Jenni said...
    I am finding what I speak is vital to my position in honoring Him. It can increase my desire for Him or decrease it. I hear what I say, even if I don't always listen to what I am speaking. Careless complaining or grumbling when my God is so good. I am learning so much.

As I read this, I thought of the many times I have gotten excited as I talked about Jesus...with my Hubbit, my Bev, my mom and my sister Debbie, my Kim, and my MFPals. I have gotten so excited about Him and His love and what He has done and said and How he has changed us and how He has revealed Himself and How he has healed, fixed, guided, given to us. How every rough road He has smoothed. How every pain He bore. How every attack from the enemy He blocks.

Joseph Prince chuckles often saying, "Whoo, I preached myself happy!" The words we speak that are true and pure and noble and righteous and of good repute are a dwelling place and I want to live there! When we say what He says, we speak the truth. Jesus never grumbles or complains. He never is discouraged and never says it's not worth it. He never quits doing right. He never errs, lies, fibs, tells half-truths, omits facts. He never whines, manipulates, frets. He doesn't get flustered or desparate or distracted. He speaks the truth...the whole truth.

The enemy speaks lies. I do not want my dwelling place to be among the tombs. (This is where we used to live...) I will say of the Lord He rescued me and is making me whole. Every day He is here in me, cleaning me, perfecting me. He is all there is. I trust Him. Surely He will deliver me and I wont be afraid for I have called the Lord my dwelling place.

Percy.... great way to do the above! An welcoming atmosphere! Humbly welcoming Jesus. Oh percy I think it must be harder to fret and be sarcastic and depressed when the Word is playing out loud in your presence. I like the sermons on tv as I clean/cook, and I will add music and audio Bible to my days. What a gift you have shared here!!! Thanxoxox Webale Nyo!
  • Percyjs
    Percyjs Posts: 31 Member
    :flowerforyou: Had another analogy...

Yesterday my Kimberly came by to pick up a check. My adorably untrained Chihuahuas growled and barked and jumped on and ran around and sniffed my friend. She just stood patiently as I called the dogs, said their names in that 'threatening momma' tone, I said, "No!" and finally sent them to their crate. :blushing: This whole episode lasted all of 30 seconds, but then today God used it as an object lesson:heart: !

My puppies are like my thoughts. They do whatever they want. Most of the time they are pretty calm and lazy, but when a perceived threat or a perceived cat comes along, they are bouncing off of each other in frantic alarm and being generally uncontrolled by the Master! They are pseudo-vicious followed by joyously excited. They don't know what to do and so the head barks and growls as the tail wags with delight. My thoughts need doggie training and behavior modification school!!! Sit...stay!

I see so much in this. Chich is a jealous, fussy soul who runs at the mention of thunder. Chawng does his own thing and though he is obedient at times, he digs his heels in at other times. :huh: Like thoughts of fear and rebellion.

We have a fenced yard and use leashes on walks because these wee walkers would bolt and go the way of their own choosing if they were not restrained. They even have a crate for times when they need to be even more confined, like when we are gone or when my friends come by!!! :huh: My thoughts run off like freed beasts at times and getting them back in place takes some doing!

Oh and C&C will do anything for food.... just like my thoughts...:huh: my thoughts will beg and whine and scratch at me to get a measly cheese stick and then they will turn on me and accuse me of being a fat failure!!!

Holy Spirit is my whisperer! Thank You for such a delightful illustration of a serious flaw in me. I trust You to keep my thought world that I commit to You and give me deeper understanding so I can train my thoughts and master them. I am awed by this simple study being so impactful. I am loving the spiritual metacognition! Your timing and Your paths are so good. Thank You.

Love this. You crack me up :happy:
  • milove1029
    milove1029 Posts: 308 Member
    Good Morning, just letting you guys know that I am here reading chapter 2 and reading everyone's comment. I will be sharing before Saturday. Love to everyone!!:heart:
  • editnonnalynn
    My Hubbit came home early (:love: YAY!!!!). And turned on the TV (:ohwell: Boo!) And I CHOSE to bless him by listening to his opinions and joining in a good discussion with him (:smile: Yay!) Til he used God's Word to justify his own haughtiness (:noway: Boo!) So I scolded him like he was a child (:grumble: Boo!) Actually it was more like *I* was a child (:explode: BooHiss!) BUT I CHOSE to pray as angry as I was (:ohwell: Yay!) And God gave me comfort and fogave me and gave me peace and made me see my own haughtiness and gave me mercy for my sweet Hubbo (:flowerforyou: Yaaaay!) And I apologized and said I was sorry to have yelled, but to please be careful with me when using scripture to justify self... (:smile: Yay) He hugged me and said he LOVES me ...I am his super special donnalyn, you see (:heart: Yay!) And I rejoiced in my Jesus for fighting for us on the battlefield with the enemy who seeks to destroy our relationship and the joy of it! (:happy: Yay) I am feeling like I am learning to do gymnastics with my mind and I get up on the balance beam and try out my new skill, but I wobble and fall (:angry: Boo!) so I get a Hand from my Coach, who happens to be my Daddy in heaven, BTW (:drinker: YAAAAAY!!!) and I get back to my practicing (:glasses: OH yeah!)

BTW, the Bible quote Hubbandito used to puff himself up was the "get the log outta your own eye" parable! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :huh: :blushing: :laugh:
  • milove1029
    milove1029 Posts: 308 Member
    In addressing everyone I feel so privilege to be part of this study group, I know that God has something special in store for all of us. The reason I feel this way or the reason that I know this is because my house have been under attack and it started day 1 of my joining this group. Things that has not come up as issues in my household for over 6 months. The devil is very busy in his attack. This is just encouragement for me to persevere through this even stronger. I want to address Ali, I am so drawn to your feelings and cry. First, I am so glad to see that your husband is a Christian, I asked because I know or at least I think there are a lot of Muslims in Mali. You therefore I know that you do have a lot of support from your husband with your feelings of spending time with God. My husband became a born again Christian around the same time as myself and that's what is keeping us grounded. I am walking a journey of Faith I have put my whole life in God's hands without doubt that he will bring me and my family through, but I for the first time in about six months I started doubting. Wow, so reading all of your thoughts and feelings, I am so back to basics of spending more time with God and His Word. I know that is our answer!!

Jenni I love this verse that you have shared Psalm 91:2 (AMP)
    2 I will say of the Lord, He is my Refuge and my Fortress, my God; on Him I lean and rely, and in Him I [confidently] trust!

Thank You I will keep this close to my heart.

Donna I am going through especially this week similar problems with my husband. So much to go into detaisl but just know I am staying in the Word.

Thank you all for listening to my rambling!!!

Welcome Percy!!!

With lots of love, Gwen
  • jaajh
    First Nonna - You always manage to make me laugh! I know it was serious stuff you shared, but you do it so well! I love you! I love your humour, your honesty, your willingness to learn, and especially all those smileys :noway: :laugh: THANK YOU FOR BEING YOU! And well done on constantly continuing to bring those thoughts captive :flowerforyou:

And Gwen, yes Mali is over 90% Muslim. I am blessed that my husband is from a lovely Christian family.

And Gwen (again), I am so glad that you too are part of this study, and that God has led you to join this group at JUST the right time. Keep delving into His word when you feel those doubts coming, and don't hesitate to let us know if we can be praying for things.

To you all - I have been having a rollercoaster of emotions again over these past couple of days. Nothing serious (in fact all ridiculously minor!) but that's how the devil likes to get at me! Trying too to constantly bring those thoughts captive.

On another note entirely : PLEASE could I ask you all to be praying for me very especially over the next few days (Thursday-Tuesday). I am off to Bamako (capital of Mali) tomorrow - for some meetings with our lawyers group, but also particularly to be part of an English-speaking women's missionary retreat we have at the end of October each year. Our numbers are depleted this year as several people left following the coup in March and subsequent take-over of the extremists in the north, but we are all looking forward to a good time together with the Lord. The theme is "Faith that Overcomes", which seems very relevant to our situation in Mali right now! However, I admit to feeling nervous. I haven't been to Bamako (about a 6-7 hour drive away) since the beginning of March (so pre-coup). In fact, when we returned from evacuation in Burkina, one of the things we decided it was wise not to do was travel to Bamako as politically everything was so uncertain. Life here in the south is now more calm than it was (if still unpredictable) and foreigners have returned to Bamako. It is safe to go. But my nerves still remain. Please pray for ALL travelling to this retreat this weekend, and for me : that I would keep trusting Him - not only to keep me safe, but also my family safe in my absence. This will be the first time I have left my kids since all this upheaval started in Mali, and that makes me nervous too. I am, however, convinced that God does want me to go to this retreat, and I do need to connect with our lawyers group there too, so I know I am doing the right thing. Now just need to bring those negative thoughts captive ....

THANK YOU dear friends!

Love, Ali