Cheating/Weight Loss

Options
mstorvik
mstorvik Posts: 356 Member
So I am complaining... but wondering what happens to you when you "cheat." I had a cheat 3 day weekend two weeks ago... and I am still 2-3 lbs away from my weight before I cheated.

Have you went off plan before? How long did it take you to get back to the weight you were before it?

Replies

• TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I don't monitor my weight but I reckon I've been taking carb liberties lately based on clothes fit and energy so I've reined myself back in again. Back to more real food and less indulgences.

I prefer to cheat a bit daily, keeps me sane ... bit of ice cream, some chocolate, that kind of thing ...
  • SandyMilton
    Options
    I have a cruise coming up Thanksgiving week and I have no doubt I will have cheats...... I'll just get back on top of things when I get back. :)
  • mensasu
    mensasu Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I have a cruise coming up Thanksgiving week and I have no doubt I will have cheats...... I'll just get back on top of things when I get back. :)

I have a cruise the same week, and another one the week after. I am going to *try* and be good because I don't want to come back with cravings or the 1 pound/day weight gain that is supposed to be *typical*. :noway:

So for me, cheats will be larger portions instead of small portions but of the same type of foods we are eating now and maybe a bit more fruit but always with a protein. Its actually a test for me and my husband to see if we can continue to stay low carb/primal on a cruise. We have a 49 day cruise coming up in Feb and I'm really scared that we will lose all the progress we've made. If we are successful during the 2 week cruise and then the 49 day one we will be doing a lot more cruising in the future. :love:
  • danni_l
    danni_l Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I cheated over the wknd, but havent bothered weighing myself as nothing good can come of that haha!
    To be honest I try not to weigh myself that often, like DeadVim I go by the way clothes fit - weighing yourself can just lead to a deadly obsession over a couple of pounds - Ive been there and its not fun!
    This wknd was my first proper cheat wknd in a while and I feel disgusting today so wont be doing that again for a while! :)
  • foochick
    foochick Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Here's the deal. My first cheat...vacation:cheated for 4 days...gained 5 pounds. I lost 11, in the week after I returned. My last cheat: 3 pancakes. Gained FOUR pounds. No kidding. 4 pounds. Almost a week later, and I've almost lost that weight. The bad thing about cheats is that they cause carb cravings, and calorie cravings that are hard to control. Also, if you are in ketosis, and knock yourself out, you have to suffer through 'carb flu' in whatever form you get it. Many authors/dietitions who write about low carb eating, talk about the 'golden hour.' Though you may find it easy to go in and out of ketosis at will...and resume weight loss....there will come a time when your body resists, and you'll find it harder to get back to where you were. I've already noticed the difference from my first and second cheat(been low carbing for 4 months.) Truly, it's not worth it in a way.......and then again.....those freakin' pancakes were AWESOME!!! even with sugar free syrup. It's a risk though, and the big picture tells me NOOOOO.
  • gnr123
    gnr123 Posts: 173
    Options
    A cheat day generally turn's into a cheat week with for so I am trying to stay away from those "cheat" days however after non low carbing and generally eating unhealthy for two week, I put half the weight I lost back on..

However after a week or so of low carbing, eating healthy and working out, I am getting back where I was.
  • mstorvik
    Options
    Well, I "cheated" not because I wanted crappy foods, but because my body was showing side effects of low carbing too low. I should have just added a bit back, but I went kinda whole hog. But all those symptoms (some kinda scary) went away after carbing up. Yesterday I was 1 lb away from the pre-cheat weight. You guys are right though... it's not worth it. Id I hadn't had those side effects, I wouldn't have done it. BUT I really shouldn't have dined on ice creams and sugars that weekend either :/
  • Kiki829
    Kiki829 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I am curious what side effects you were having being on low carb? We are going to Disney at the end of December, and I already plan to cheat. When I first started, I used to ahve one cheat day a week and lost weight just fine. However, one day that cheat ay led to 6 cheat weeks. Once I got back on it, which was recently, I lost weight relatively quickly, but it sucks to reign those cravings back in. I hope I can do it in December and then start fresh for the New Year!
  • TheVimFuego
    Options
    Well, I "cheated" not because I wanted crappy foods, but because my body was showing side effects of low carbing too low. I should have just added a bit back, but I went kinda whole hog. But all those symptoms (some kinda scary) went away after carbing up. Yesterday I was 1 lb away from the pre-cheat weight. You guys are right though... it's not worth it. Id I hadn't had those side effects, I wouldn't have done it. BUT I really shouldn't have dined on ice creams and sugars that weekend either :/

I think I see where you are coming from.

I was getting ready to play cricket the other week and I just KNEW I had to get some sugar in my body/muscles for energy so I grabbed a Snickers Bar and felt immediately better.

I think it's a case of listening to the body but not getting carried away with it :)

It's a delicate balance for sure.
  • danni_l
    danni_l Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I have to be careful with my cheating, I ended up on 3 days of being pretty bad over the wknd and I still feel rough from it! I havent weighed myself but I feel a lot more bloated. Just need to be really strict this week :)
  • bfitgirl
    bfitgirl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm also heading to Disney in dec! Can't wait! I love my food and I've already looked up the menus in the restaurants, there's lots of good eats to be found, not only for me, but for my kids (I hate having the chicken nuggets n chips only option!) rotisserie chicken, chowder, ribs... Then some great places outside Disney for salads, steaks..

Of course there's goodies but am planning to arrange thru Greengrocer.com groceries delivered to the hotel, water, fruit, nuts, protein bars, jerkey, etc this will allow me not to get too stressed out when coming face to face with an ice cream sundae! Also myself and hubbie generally share the treats but I think whatever I indulge in it'll prob be walked off me! Last year went to Disney Paris and ended up carried about 8kg in a backpack around with us (camera, coats, snacks) had lots of treats and lost weight! Felt like I went trekking the Himalayas!
  • bfitgirl
    bfitgirl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I am curious what side effects you were having being on low carb? We are going to Disney at the end of December, and I already plan to cheat. When I first started, I used to ahve one cheat day a week and lost weight just fine. However, one day that cheat ay led to 6 cheat weeks. Once I got back on it, which was recently, I lost weight relatively quickly, but it sucks to reign those cravings back in. I hope I can do it in December and then start fresh for the New Year!

Sorry above post was meant to go here!
  • TheVimFuego
    Options
    Talking of Disney, etc ... I went to Florida from the UK many years back and ate/drank myself stupid with a couple of mates with very little exercise (and was in typical wonder to American food portions) ... Net result was a fair bit of fat gain.

I did the same on west coast a few years later (with the same mates) hiking the national parks and came back in great shape.

It's all about balance and context ...
  • mstorvik
    Options

Msg me! :) I'll tell you all about it!