Advice needed on running shoes

Options
Asianaaaa
Asianaaaa Posts: 57 Member
Hi Everyone,

I was hoping for some advice.

I am looking to buy some running shoes so I can start the c25k program and have been doing a lot of research on the different types of running shoes available. I am a complete beginner so I am new to all of this. I am a bit stuck on the type of running shoes I should be buying. I did the 'wet test' and have a normal arch. This was also confirmed by the assistant who was helping me at the sports shop today. The thing is I also underpronate. I know this because majority of the wear marks on my old trainers is on the outside edges of the sole. Plus this is something I have noticed with all of my shoes when my heels wear out, they always wear out from the outside first.

The thing about underpronators is they have high arches whereas I don't. So my real question is, what type of running shoes should I be getting? Should I be getting shoes suitable for someone with a normal arch or shoes that are suitable for an underpronator?

I have been looking at the Sports Shoes website (www.sportsshoes.com) and according to them I should be getting support running shoes based on the wet test I did but my gut feeling is go to for the running shoes which are designed for underpronators, but some advice would be very helpful.

Regards,

Saima

Replies

• BertoJG
    BertoJG Posts: 27
    Options
    Saima,

I just went through this very same thing as I am beginning my C25K as well. I went to a local running shop and they looked at my feet, stance, and watched me jog to determine the best shoe for me.

I found a calculator that tries to help recommend shoes on Runner's World that you may be interested in, it is located at http://www.runnersworld.com/shoeadvisor

I also ran across some information that says underpronators should have a neutral shoe with a little extra cushioning, but can't seem to find a link to that at the moment.

Ultimately I would suggest going to a running shop and getting some help if that option is available to you.

Robert
  • NatashaRuz
    Options
    Ditto Robert. If you have a running store in your town, go and have them analyze your gait and suggest shoes for you.

I will say that the right show will make or break the experience. I cannot imagine doing this program without the right shoes. For me, they were Asics. As soon as I try running in my Nike's, my feet/shins/legs hurt. It's wild.

Good luck! And keep us posted on how you do :)
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I know all shops are different, but do you folks feel that your local running shops provide an affordable selection of shoes along with the running analysis, or do they make up for the analysis with the price of the shoe? There's a well known shop around my town, I just haven't had a chance to stop by and look yet. My reebok runtones weigh a million pounds and also have a hole in one insert and my asics have been previously used for warehouse work so I need running shoes ASAP.
  • smittybuilt19
    Options
    Saima, I apologize for asking my own question on your post. Judging from the other posters entries and you yourself seeming knowledgeable, I thought it would be a great place for some advice.
  • sabgoe
    sabgoe Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    When I started the C25K, I started out with Nike running shoes I had bought at Kohls. Bad decision! My knee started hurting after just a couple of runs and those runs were only 60 seconds!! I decided to go to a running store and get fitted for proper running shoes. The analysis was for free. My shoes were $115. Yes, a lot of money, but I know I would not have been able to stick to running otherwise. I am on week 7 now, running 25 minutes straight without any knee problems. Proper running shoes are a must, IMO. Good luck!!!
  • BertoJG
    BertoJG Posts: 27
    Options
    I know all shops are different, but do you folks feel that your local running shops provide an affordable selection of shoes along with the running analysis, or do they make up for the analysis with the price of the shoe? There's a well known shop around my town, I just haven't had a chance to stop by and look yet. My reebok runtones weigh a million pounds and also have a hole in one insert and my asics have been previously used for warehouse work so I need running shoes ASAP.

I found the stores here had several shoes to choose from, but one will feel right to you. I tried 3 different pairs before they felt right. In regards to price, I spent $120 and the online prices for the same shoes might be $10 - $15 cheaper, but I felt the difference was well worth the one on one time and help selecting the proper shoe.

Robert
  • doIlhands
    doIlhands Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    My local running shoe store has all of its shoes listed $10 under retail sale price. I know the same shoes might be even cheaper online but I don't mind. I feel like they are genuinely trying to help me and not just trying to make quick money like places like footlocker or sportscheck.
  • m0ll3pprz
    m0ll3pprz Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am just starting c25k and after a bad case of shin splints I was told to swap out my shoes for new ones. I have a deep love for Mizuno running shoes. I am a neutral with high arches and slight pronation. I have never even had to break these shoes in! I put them on and go! I have had Mizuno Wave RIder 10 and this latest pair is Mizuno Wave Creation 12. There are many fits and styles to choose from. They are super light weight and breathable. The cushioning is soft yet they are very stable. If you have an opportunity to try some on, go for it! To be honest, I only received advice over the phone and on the Mizuno website. The places that I have ordered them from have free shipping and returns. I am just so impressed that I tell everyone about them.

Good luck with your shopping and the c25k program!
  • smittybuilt19
    Options
    Hey! Thanks for the shoe advice.
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I was new to C25K in August, never had shoes for anything other than walking around, and also recommend a running store rather than a sports store. The one I went to had a 30 day return policy, so you can try them out and take them back if they don't work out. I did have to return a pair of Brooks that they gave me first, because they weren't sized right. (I guess you can still get different levels of service even there, or else I didn't tell the guy enough about how they felt??) So I went back after a couple weeks because my toes got numb and cold when I wore them, regardless of how loose I tied them. I tried on about 8 more different pairs until we settled on a very lightweight $120 pair of Saucony Omni 11, in a whole size up from my normal. The soles of these look like they're on the wrong side, to support my normal arch and so my ankles don't go in. They had me walk up and down the store barefoot and jog on the treadmill to determine what kind of fit I needed. I would have just stuck with my outlet store Reebok's and been miserable otherwise.
  • kmudica
    kmudica Posts: 29
    Options
    I got the Brooks Cadence and love them. Really like that Brooks offers a 30 day trial too. But I have ran 5 weeks now with no problems and truly belive its all about the shoes!
  • Littlegurl
    Littlegurl Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'm an underpronator too. Definitely go to a running store for ur first pair. I love the Asics Nimbus, and don't think I will ever change. They can be pricy, retail $140, but u can find them a little cheaper. I get mine at Rack Room Shoes when I have an10% off mobile coupon. They r amazing! Whatever u get don't use ur running shoes for other workouts besides running. They run expensive, and the less wear and tear the longer they will last u.
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I used my cross trainers for c25k until the 20 min runs and had finished a 5k run. I then purchased a pair of asic runners at a local department store (need to drive 40 miles to get to a runners store.) I am very happy with them.

You may want to start with the shoes you have for the first couple of weeks to have a better Idea of what you need from a shoe.