24 hour shift eating suggestions

Options
OK, this has been weighing on my mind for a couple of weeks now. I currently am not working, but I go back to shift in a couple of weeks. I have been doing pretty good logging everything I eat. My worry is that when I go back on shift, I will not know how much calories I will take in when the cook at the firehouse is not me. I'm wondering what other 24 hour shifters do about logging. Do you eat the firehouse cooking (w/ controlling your portions), and just make your best guess as to what it is you ate? Do you not eat the firehouse cooking and prepare your own meals? Do you eat sensibly and skip logging for the day? Or, do you do something else? All suggestions welcome.

Replies

• bearmedic
    Options
    When I'm on that is what I do. Do my best to estimate what it's worth and go from there. It's not always easy but after a while I got use to it as did my shift and most of us were looking up recipes. Now I'm at a new station on the box most of my shift so I am able to bring food I know.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    In the morning I go to whole foods and make a salad at the salad bar, buy two oranges, a banana, two Chobani greek yogurts, a clif bar and two poland springs raspberry lime carbonated waters. I eat an orange and one of the yogurts for breakfast. For lunch, I get a 6" Roast Beef on 9 grain wheat, toasted, no cheese, no sauce, all the veggies I want and extra jalapenos. For a snack between lunch and dinner I eat the clif bar. For dinner I eat the salad and for a snack between dinner and bed I eat the banana. For breakfast in the morning I have the other orange and the other yogurt. For more details check my diary for any given Friday or Sunday. Good luck!
  • apopelka
    apopelka Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've been cooking my own food seperate. The guys are cool because they know im getting back into excellent shape. I still sit and eat with 'em though
  • Mini_Medic
    Mini_Medic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Now don't judge my diary for today because I totally blew it today and I'm doing a 24 currently (0800-0800) but I try to bring my food and always bring lots of water bottles. I still eat at the same time as my partner, but this way I don't have to eat Waffle House and gas station grub that is terrible for you.

Also many times I fast breakfast to breakfast on 24hr shift days in the Eat. Stop. Eat. Method of intermittent fasting.
  • pathol1997
    pathol1997 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    We normally bring our lunch and breakfast and try to eat dinner as a group. If your good at potioning things you'll have no problem as you know firehouse portions are large so eat about half of the smallest plate on your shift and you'll be eating more then you should. Really stick to smaller plates even if you have to go out and buy your own and lots of water if you can just look up what your eating if there is a question go for the highest cal item listed for that item.. it works.. also don't forget to work out at the firehouse. it's easy to get sucked in to the recliners but don't fall in to that trap...