Anyone else have anxiety about going off plan for a treat?

Options
QueenofScott
QueenofScott Posts: 305 Member
I started South Beach 2 months ago and have have not deviated from the plan at all. I have been to two birthday parties and not had any of the wrong foods, most especially birthday cake. Yesterday was my 28th anniversary and hubby and I planned to go out to eat. I chose Bonesfish Grill because it's one of my favorites and there are healthy choices. Sadly, when it came down to it, I opted not to go (I have a really sweet, understanding, skinny hubby!) because I was too anxious and fearful that I might decide to eat something there that would throw me off course....mainly bang bang shrimp, scalloped potatoes, and key lime pie....all tdf. I felt sad and deprived because we missed our anniversary dinner because of my hang-ups. I have always been a perfectionist, but never quite so scared to go off course on any diet, as I have with this one (which I intend to be a lifestyle change). In the past my most successful weigh losses have been on WW, and on that I could have pretty much whatever I wanted, as long as I reserved the points for it, so this is the first time I have ever been off of sugar, white flour potatoes. Now I have become really afraid of eating some of those things and messing up everything. Does or has anybody felt his way?

Replies

• DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I totally understand. I have never 'accidentally' lost weight. The only time I lost weight was when I committed myself 100% to a plan. I am an all or nothing kind of person, altho I have gotten better over the years and have learned moderation in many areas. But when it comes to dieting, if I let myself have a treat, because I 'deserve it' due to 'being good', then I find myself 'deserving' more and more treats until I end up completely off plan and gaining back pounds I worked so hard to lose.

But I realize that I can't deny myself a life by being so stringent on my diet. I have to build in some flexibility from time to time. I still have certain foods that I can't trust myself with, (brownies for example) but if I have a special event coming up, or get a last minute lunch invite, I simply prepare for it, make good choices and work it into my totals, or exercise a bit more if I go over. I also have a great accountability partner in my hubby. If I tell him, do NOT let me look at the desserts at dinner, then he will immediately hand the dessert menu back to the waiter, and he won't order any either.

I know as I get closer to goal weight, my new habits will be more ingrained and I can trust myself more, but for now I have to be really strict with myself, within limits. I have to also recognize where my greatest weaknesses are and stay away from them if at all possible.

Some people will say that they never deny themselves anything they want. But for me, never telling myself 'no' is how I got this overweight to begin with.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    How about plan another anniversary night where you choose what you will order ahead of time. Have your husband order for you at the restaurant. If the portions are too large, ask for a to go box immediately and put half in the box and out of the way. Have the waiter take away any bread and the dessert menus. Then relax and have a nice evening talking with your hubby and enjoying each other's company. That is what it is all about right? It's not the food, it is the love you share! At the end of the night you will feel great for the time spent together, but no guilt.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Awwwww ...... so sorry that you felt you had to cancel your anniversary plans ........ life shouldn't be like that ....... PLAN FOR IT ....... workout harder that morning ....... take an extra walk around the block that afternoon ...... then choose the one or two foods that you REALLY want ....... have them & enjoy them & be done with it !

If I cancelled a dinner date for "that" reason, my hubby would pitch a freaking fit & it's not a pretty sight, trust me ....... so I've learned to make good choices at restaurants & ignore the bread basket sitting on the table ........ I try to picture the entire meal & decide what I really WANT to eat, then bypass all that "extra" stuff ....... I might sample one of hubby's french fries, just because it looks crispy & salty, but won't order any of my own ....... my dinner order is usually the protein, double or triple the veg, and forget the starch ....... neither of us gets dessert at a restaurant, because I have dessert at home ...... but if I want a freshly-made donut & hot cider at the apple-picking place, well, you can be SURE that I've exercised plenty that day so there's no guilty feelings :drinker:

By all means, if you KNOW that a particular food will snowball into oblivion, then forget about eating it ......... otherwise, have it for the special occasion, enjoy it, and be done with it !

We needn't turn this healthy lifestyle/way of eating into a battleground ...... best of luck to you ....... and HAPPY ANNIVERSARY !

Mary Ann
  • QueenofScott
    QueenofScott Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Well, I did plan for it, even checked the menu online, but when it came down to it, I was too chicken. I guess I will venture out of my strict plan on Thanksgiving. Day, and see how that goes. Hubbies bday is on November 30, so maybe I will be brave enough to do dinner out for that:)