Do you log calories for vitamins and calcium?

Options
I have been adding 100 calories a day for vitamins, calcium, etc. I just figured if they had calories in them, I should count them toward my daily allowance. But I'm getting curious about how others log supplements. Do you count those calories?

Replies

• BubblySharon
    BubblySharon Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I log them, but there's no calorie content in them. I simply log them to see what my vitamin levels are for the day with them.
  • miss_erynn
    miss_erynn Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I have been adding 100 calories a day for vitamins, calcium, etc. I just figured if they had calories in them, I should count them toward my daily allowance. But I'm getting curious about how others log supplements. Do you count those calories?

Vitamins don't contain calories - unless in liquid form. :)

I log mine individually as I take them with meals - you can see on my diary.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Vitamins may not contain calories, per se, but the tablets they come in sure do. Two bariatric vitamins, three calcium, all have 20 calories each, plus a couple of iron tablets, D3, B12 . . . When you take as many supplements as we do, it adds up. That's what I was asking. Isn't a calorie still a calorie, no matter where it comes from? 100 or 140 calories when your daily food intake is 1200 is a pretty large percentage.

I have no idea what the right answer is, I'm just curious how others handle this. It felt like cheating not to count calories from something that is ten percent of my daily total.

Also, I don't count the individual micros from supplements, as I want to look at my diary and see just the vitamins from food, not the supplements. That's why I don't list each tablet separately.
  • miss_erynn
    Options
    No calories - if they contained calories, they'd be on the bottle....
    The only vitamin I WAS taking that used to contain calories was a liquid calcium supplement. It had 23 calories per tbs and I had to take 3 a day. So when I switched to the pills, my dietician said that was a smarter move for me because I should be getting my other calcium from food (aka calories) anyways.

Also - I don't take any of that "bariatric choice" stuff - all hoopla and way overpriced.

Here in Canada, legally, on every food/drink/anything digestible, the bottles/boxes/cans/packaging it comes in MUST list all caloric/vitamin/nutrient values. I just checked all my bottles of vitamins and they all say 0 calories. ALL of them.
  • miss_erynn
    Options
    A calorie really isn't just a calorie. One calorie of saturated fat is far different than 1 calorie of trans fat. 1 calorie of sugar is far different 1 calorie of carb.
  • grim_traveller
    Options
    And ALL of mine list 20 calories per tablet, which is why I asked the question. And every brand I have used and compared, adult, children's, bariatric, regular, all have some calories, ON THE LABEL.
  • smokeywolf57
    Options
    I do not count my vitamins, calcium, B-12. Iron. potassium or anything else I take like this.
  • authormarieskye
    authormarieskye Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I don't count them as calories cause when I scanned them in, it doesn't list any.
  • RunningGranny
    Options
    When I scan their barcodes some have calories and some don't. Some have sugar too! Here's the breakdown of all of my current vit's.

Nature Made - Stress B-Complex With Vitamin C & Zinc, 1 tablet 0 0 0 0 0 0
    Schiff - Megared Extra Strength Omega-3 Krill Oil 500 Mg, 1 Softgel 5 0 1 0 0 0
    Spring Valley Super Potency Biotin - 5000mcg Biotin Dietary Supplement, 1 capsule 0 0 0 0 0 0
    Centrum - Centrum Silver Supplement, 1 Tablet 5 2 0 0 1 0
    Caltrate - Caltrate 600+D Plus Minerals, 2 Tablet 0 0 0 0 0 0
    Fiber Choice - Sugar Free Assorted Fruit Chewable Tablets, 2 tablets 16 4 0 0 0 4
    Nature's Bounty - Black Cohosh, 2 Capsule

Totals: Calories: 26 Carbs: 6 Fat: 1 Protein: 0 Sugar: 1 Fiber: 4
  • BubblySharon
    BubblySharon Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    And ALL of mine list 20 calories per tablet, which is why I asked the question. And every brand I have used and compared, adult, children's, bariatric, regular, all have some calories, ON THE LABEL.
    In that case, then I would log them. Like you said, a calorie is a calorie. None of mine have any, so I don't have to log them, but I still do.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I log mine, but mostly as a reminder to myself to take them!
  • sadiegirl32
    sadiegirl32 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I log mine. My iron and calcium chews taste like candy and they definitely have calories listed on their labels!
  • wheresheidi
    Options
    When I scan their barcodes some have calories and some don't. Some have sugar too! Here's the breakdown of all of my current vit's.

Nature Made - Stress B-Complex With Vitamin C & Zinc, 1 tablet 0 0 0 0 0 0
    Schiff - Megared Extra Strength Omega-3 Krill Oil 500 Mg, 1 Softgel 5 0 1 0 0 0
    Spring Valley Super Potency Biotin - 5000mcg Biotin Dietary Supplement, 1 capsule 0 0 0 0 0 0
    Centrum - Centrum Silver Supplement, 1 Tablet 5 2 0 0 1 0
    Caltrate - Caltrate 600+D Plus Minerals, 2 Tablet 0 0 0 0 0 0
    Fiber Choice - Sugar Free Assorted Fruit Chewable Tablets, 2 tablets 16 4 0 0 0 4
    Nature's Bounty - Black Cohosh, 2 Capsule

Totals: Calories: 26 Carbs: 6 Fat: 1 Protein: 0 Sugar: 1 Fiber: 4

Odd questions here. My goal is surgery so I was wondering wouldn't taking a prenatal vitamin be better than having to take so many different ones?
  • grim_traveller
    Options
    I've seen people get a lot of different recommendations from their doctors. Some programs say that children's Flintstones Viramins are ok. Others say they are rubbish. So first off, do what your doctor says.

After surgery, you will need to be taking vitamins as chewables or liquid for a while, since you can't swallow big tablets, and your stomach may not be able to dissolve the gel on capsules. So picking a chewable cuts down on the number of options quite a bit.

The next consideration is that all vitamins are not the aame. After RNY you won't be able to absorb some kinds of vitamins nearly as well as before. For example, you will need calcium, and calcium citrate is much easier to absorb than calcium carbonate. There aren't many chewable calcium citrates around. Just as one other example, there are different kinds of viramin D -- your new body can absorb vitamin D3 best. And the list goes on. That's why some people need a variety of supplements. It would be hard to get everything all together, and impossible to get it or be able to take it all at once. For instance, you can't take calcium and iron together, as the calcium will block absorption of the iron.

It becomes a little bit of a juggling act. I don't know how different this is for those with the band or sleeve, I'm writing merely from the RNY perspective. Maybe someone can say something specific about prenatal vitamins, since I have no experience with those.
  • miss_erynn
    Options
    I take a prenatal as well as calcium citrate, D3, B12, C, biotin and iron...........since the prenatal only gets absorbed about 50-60% of everything in it.
  • wheresheidi
    Options
    I think I need to invest in a vitamin company. :tongue:
  • mandynsnuf
    mandynsnuf Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I log mine as well, they equal 90 calories