How to tell if you have surpressed your metabolism?

amonkey794
amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
Just really curious. I am 99% positive mine is all sorts of messed up. (my own fault)
What does one do to compensate for that? I maintain at around 1500 cals though calculators say I should be at around 1800-1900. :/ Is it also permanent?

Replies

• HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    I got a bio impedence analysis done at my naturopath's office that showed that my metabolism is working very slowly.

I am still eating more, it just means that I lose much more slowly than other people. It has taken me over 6 months to lose 15 lbs but it is coming off.
  • amonkey794
    whats a naturopath?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Just really curious. I am 99% positive mine is all sorts of messed up. (my own fault)
    What does one do to compensate for that? I maintain at around 1500 cals though calculators say I should be at around 1800-1900. :/ Is it also permanent?

First, what BMR calculator did you use?

Harris will be inflated when overweight, so if TDEE is based on that, it is inflated.

Mifflin, like MFP uses, is about 5% more correct, and even better when overweight.

But Katch, using bodyfat%, is the best to be individualized.

By messed up, do you mean it seems to slow down or still be slow?

How slowly have you tried to move up from 1500 to the possible 1800 (and that could be inflated depending on which BMR calc you used), like 100 extra calories a day for a week at a time?
    Or just jumped up to 1800, saw weight gain, so dropped back to 1500?
    How long did you hold out if you did jump that high?

Oh, to measuring how messed up it might be, look for RMR testing in your area, or metabolism testing.
    Though, that will just confirm if it's lower than expected, but not where it should be. And usually they'll recommend treating that lower figure as something to aim for, and eat less than. So I'd skip it unless it was cheap and you are curious.

What's even better, is get a Bodpod or DEXA scan for best bodyfat%, so you can know what the metabolism likely should be at.
    Then you can see how off measuring methods are, and down the road, know they are still likely that far off and can correct to newer BF%.
  • HeidiHoMom
    oh and by eating more and lifting heavy weights I have increased my metabolism. Not by much, but it still increased and will continue to increase as long as I continue to fuel my body properly and lift weights.
  • amonkey794
    I have used your spreadsheet actually and I have never had a super accurate BF test (only online calculators), but its estimated around the 15% range.

I have never ventured to far above 1500 (still mentally recovering from ED), but I maintain fine here? By messed up I mean I believe I have suppressed it so it doesn't operate as efficiently.

I will look into that bodpod stuff, but i have no idea where that would be lol

I do lift weights (I hope to gain some more knowledge, but I have to self-learn so I am a slow progressor lol)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    I have used your spreadsheet actually and I have never had a super accurate BF test (only online calculators), but its estimated around the 15% range.

I have never ventured to far above 1500 (still mentally recovering from ED), but I maintain fine here? By messed up I mean I believe I have suppressed it so it doesn't operate as efficiently.

I will look into that bodpod stuff, but i have no idea where that would be lol

I do lift weights (I hope to gain some more knowledge, but I have to self-learn so I am a slow progressor lol)

Besides Bodpod's website listing locations of registered sellers of the service, check university's in your area, if any.

They use them for studies, when they need to get stats on people. Shoot, they also usually have the metabolic cart for doing an RMR test since that is needed too. But Podbod doesn't require great skill, metabolic card should.
  • HeidiHoMom
    whats a naturopath?

A naturopathic doctor (ND).