Celiac or Digestive Issues?

Options
WHanna123
WHanna123 Posts: 6 Member
Hi there,

I am wondering if anyone else has trouble gaining weight due to chronic digestive issues (IBS, celiac, crohns, etc). My body has a hard time aborbing all the nutrients that it needs. This (combined with feeling sick all the time) makes getting enough calories really hard.
I like to have balance in my life. I still enjoy good foods (all gluten free), wine and coffee. I know I need to drink more water and find ways to take in healthier calories. I would love some support from other people living with a similar situation.

WHanna

Replies

• astrovivi
    astrovivi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I did. I have had fructose/fructan and a sugar polyol malabsorption problem for a number of years and I was underweight.
    Like you, I felt sick a lot of the time and frankly, i got to the stage where I dreaded eating at all.
    My kcals were always low.

But overhauling my diet did wonders for me (and it took time to understand which foods really affected me and which ones didn't ... as it's a restrictive diet in many ways). Lots of experimenting but i am now at the point where i have been slowly and steadily gaining and my kcal intake has almost doubled from around 1000kcals (on a good day) to 1800kcals per day average.

I also feel good although I do get occasional food intol attacks .. sometimes without knowing why but keeping my diary here on mfp lets me check back and see if I've eaten anything that might have triggered it.

I use mfp to record all my food intol challenges and reactions as well as just tracking macros. it's been useful in both ways.

We are all different when it comes to gut diseases/conditions etc ... so getting to know your own gut and how you react and how you thrive is invaluable.

My only advice at this point is that to enjoy a balanced approach, do consider your diet again and see what is making you ill. Until you start to feel well, there is no real joy. it's not hard, you just need to be a bit disciplined for a while.
    Once you find your groove, stick to it and it'll be easy

:)