FitBit vs. BodyBugg/BMF ..... my experiment

Options
harlanJEN
harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
Hey ya'll ! For those of you not on my immediate FL , I recently completed an experiment and just finished reporting the data via my blog.

If interested in reading and mind scratching .. here goes !

Jen

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/harlanJEN/view/fitbit-vs-bodybugg-bmf-437428

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Hey ya'll ! For those of you not on my immediate FL , I recently completed an experiment and just finished reporting the data via my blog.

If interested in reading and mind scratching .. here goes !

Jen

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/harlanJEN/view/fitbit-vs-bodybugg-bmf-437428

Love the numbers. Great review and reason to use the right tool for the right reason.

Something to keep in mind for both devices.

They calculate your BMR also by age, weight, height, and use the Harris BMR calc.

If you have a decent difference between worst estimate Harris and best Katch BMR, that will influence the TDEE estimate also.

BodyBugg starts with BMR and adjusts per sleep temps, and daily temps too, to what must be your base metabolism, and MET. The MET value is then used for the actual exercise estimates based on movement.

FitBit just uses BMR to estimate RMR for all non-movement activity. Which for most people is a big part of the day and more calories burned there then during workout. Then that is used with MET too for those burns.

Most when overweight have Harris BMR inflated by 100-400 over Katch BMR. Which means end result could be very inflated.

So even there a tweak could be made.

Wondering on the HIIT on what should be recovery days to lifting.

Are you sore the day after lifting?
    If so, you did a good job and caused the micro-tears necessary for improving.
    But bad, you can't repair at all or as much as you could if you now engage the same muscles with intense exercise, so you just wasted most of the effort from the lifting by killing the repair stronger process.

Now, you may do HIIT of different muscles than what you worked out, which is smart. Except, HIIT is like lifting too if done properly, and needs a day of rest, so HIIT should be followed the next day with lifting the same muscles. If not sore from HIIT, then not really reaching the peak levels of HIIT. May be other interval types though, equally as useful, just not the 15-45 sec of HIIT.

Normal suggestion for HIIT or intervals of any sort, is no more than 20% of your weekly cardio.

You may be overloaded on stress to the body, despite eating well, causing hormone problems holding on to fat or water.

Just might suggest taking 2 weeks with no HIIT, just gentle walking for blood flow to muscles.

I had fun comparing BodyMediaFit in different environments testing the sensors in different workouts. Might have fun with that with your walking.
    Like indoors warm, outdoors cool. Different levels of sweating. Shorter steps more frequently for the same pace, and opposite if you aren't concerned with the stares!
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    INTERESTING. What you said about HIIT. That made me think and : I took a break from cardio/HIIT May - August. I lifted 3 x week and did occasional outdoor walking on my non-lifting days. I lost weight on scale and fat %. I added it back in to my routine in September. I've been stagnant on scale. Food for thought. LOVE food for thought. : )
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    INTERESTING. What you said about HIIT. That made me think and : I took a break from cardio/HIIT May - August. I lifted 3 x week and did occasional outdoor walking on my non-lifting days. I lost weight on scale and fat %. I added it back in to my routine in September. I've been stagnant on scale. Food for thought. LOVE food for thought. : )

Now, now, you should be getting plenty of food now (ok, perhaps tad less with no HIIT) that you don't need any more food, even for thought!:sad: