Introduce Yourself

Options

Replies

• Ikkin577
    Options
    I'm usually a lurker who fell off the exercise/healthy eating wagon a month ago and undid all my good work over the summer. Here's hoping you ladies motivate me to get back on track despite cold and dreary weather!
  • norikoses
    norikoses Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! So glad this group was created. 2L (formerly 1L) here. I should really get back on the tracking bandwagon!
  • kitcat291
    kitcat291 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm pretty much just a lurk, due to timezone differences I normally miss all the fun. I'm trying to lose about 5kg (12lb) that I've put on over the last couple of years. I can't really exercise for the next couple of months due to surgery so focusing on the diet side of things and walking.
  • Moose360
    Moose360 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! Thanks to whoever set this up. I post as Eleanor, and am trying to lose a few pounds (so my work clothes aren't so tight), mostly through getting takeout less and cooking at home more.
  • CinScotland
    Options
    Omelettes and peanut butter and apples are my diet staples. I need to get better at cooking!
  • shamulou
    Options
    Hi! I post on Corporette as Fiona (in honor of Fiona Glenanne from Burn Notice). I've always been a big runner, but I've never tried tracking food / exercise. Thanks for setting this group up!
  • elusivebeth
    elusivebeth Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I post under the name January. I haven't been around Corporette as much lately because I started at a Biglaw-type job about a month ago... which means that my new challenges are eating healthfully on the run and finding the time to keep up my fitness routine! I used to work out almost every day, but that has been falling by the wayside.
  • JoMFrasca
    JoMFrasca Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hi! I read Corporette every day and occasionally post as SoCal Gator. I am much older than most of those who post as I have even a lawyer for more than 35 years. I am a business litigator for a medium size firm in Southern California. I work in Irvine although the main office is in Century City.

I have been using MyFitnessPal for more than a year and a half. In April 2011 I went on a medically supervised weight loss program over the course of 2011 I lost more than 70 pounds -- went from a size 16 to my current size 2/4. Using MFP was a real help on that and now that I have been in maintenance for over a year it is essential.

I log everything every day. Everything I eat and all my exercise. I have a terrific group of MFP friends who also are in maintenance and we share so much about how we manage to maintain our major weight losses. Believe it or not, maintenance is much trickier than weight loss, which is pretty simple. Eat fewer calories than you burn. MFP does a nice job helping you figure out your daily calorie goal depending on whether you want to lose or maintain. I do not eat back all my calories, but a good deal of them. In the beginning I did not and that's how I ended up losing a lot more weight than I had initially planned.

I work out 6 days a week. One of those days I work with a personal trainer. Otherwise it is a combo of cardio and weight/strength training. I take a lot of combo classes at Equinox. I try to mix it up a lot. I have really built a strong body Long with my weight loss and it is fantastic to have real definition in my arms.

Looking forward to getting to know you all better.

Jo
  • lawra25
    Options
    Wow JoMFrasca, your success is inspiring!

I'm trying to lose 50 pounds, most of which I put on during law school. I am in a low stress job now, so I figure now is a good time to conquer poor eating habits. Tracking is essential. I just committed to tracking again last week. Right now I'm feeling ready to tackle this!
  • CinScotland
    Options
    I am a PhD student living in Europe. Just trying to lose some weight put on over the course of a very stressful job. I've lost nearly 15kg over the last year without a whole ton of effort (amazing what less stress, more free time, no convenient cookie store does) but have a bit more I'd like to lose (about 5kg). I have terrible eating habits (too much sugar, not enough protein, fueled by gummy bears and tea) so I'm working on that. I'm currently on day 20 of no sweets and doing fairly well.

I also have a fitbit which I love, it really motivates me to get loads of activity in. I was a crazy person pacing in my room last night because I was 200 steps short of 12,000.
  • JoMFrasca
    JoMFrasca Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    To Lawra25,

You can do it! Take one day at a time. I lost all that weight very slowly. Never more than a pound or two a week. But I lost weight every week and over time it adds up. You just have to set your mind to doing it for the long run and realize that weight lost slowly stays off longer. And. Your are building new habits which takes time to become a permanent part of your life. That's essential for the weight to stay off.

I am open to friend requests from anyone here so just send me one if you want and let me know that you are from this group. I try to post encouraging words to all my friends on their newsfeeds and love to receive them as we'll. it is very motivational.
  • California1981
    Options
    Hi Ladies! This is a great idea!

I'm SoCalAtty over on Corporette. I'm trying to at least track food, but I've been recently diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis, and I'm working on calming this down as quickly as possible so I can get back to exercising again. Generally I spin 2x a week and try and get in other assorted work-outs along the way. I think I may just go back to taking at least a short walk in the evening to start working my way back up.
  • kate14221
    Options
    Hi all, I'm Kate, largely a lurker at Corporette but I've been looking for something like this where I can track my diet. Looking forward to participating in this group!
  • rc429
    rc429 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, mostly a lurker at C*ette as well, but glad to have this group and looking forward to supporting everyone in our efforts to be healthy!
  • bballlaw14
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm mostly a Corporette lurker, but I thought I would join this group for some encouragement! I'm a second year law student, and the business of 2L year along with a new boyfriend have gotten me off track with my healthy eating and exercising. I played college basketball and it's difficult to not be as active as I used to be. I'm not necessarily looking to lose a lot of weight, maybe 5-7 pounds, but I just need some accountability. It's hard not to accept all the free food and snacks at school, especially on a student budget.
  • hurricanelea
    hurricanelea Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey y'all,

Regular 'rette poster here who's gained about five pounds in the past four months with job stress, and had about fifteen to lose to begin with. The mention of this group on the board the other day inspired me to get back on track.

I was never a really active person, but in high school I rowed and got really fit. A knee injury in college has kept me from all but the most very low-impact exercises since then, and I'm trying to figure out how to get back into shape without being able to run or join a gym (due to finances). I'm trying to fit in yoga, and walking everywhere in DC, but I'd love suggestions for exercises that don't take two hours a day and don't require a gym!
  • girliegirl28
    girliegirl28 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey all! I post as (former) Clueless Summer on the Crette. I definitely had a few pounds to lose before but have gained since starting a biglaw job and am trying to get it all under control...the eating is going well but the exercise, not so much.
  • Bunkster1
    Options
    Hi. This is Bunkster. I gained about 10 pounds this year, mostly due to a medication change. I'm working out every day now, but could use some help trying to change my eating habits because about half of my clothes are tight now...
  • frourette
    Options
    I've been a rette lurker for a few years, but now I post under FrouFrou. I'm a new attorney, but law is a second career for me. I'm struggling with losing the 15 pounds that I gained while pregnant (and while trying to get pregnant) five years ago!
  • KimmieSue2011
    KimmieSue2011 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hi. On Corporette I am Lobbyist. I don't post there all that often. Trying to lose at least 5 lbs, 10 would be better. I have Graves disease and the medicine had me gain weight pretty quickly, but only 10 lbs, and its been SUPER hard to lose.
    I did lose about 5 lbs and stay there when I was tracking everything. But then I stopped tracking and gained a few lbs.

I do notice for me, MFP over estimates my calorie burn, so last go around I stopped logging exercise calories and tried to keep eating calories under 1900 a day. I work out most days -- swim, bike, or run or lift -- for me its the eating part that I need more help with.