What was your postpartum (early) weight-loss like?

Options
Today, I weighed myself for the first time since giving birth. I only lost 16 lbs in these first 19 days. I'm a wee bit disappointed as baby was 7lbs11oz and then there's the uterus, placenta, water, etc. I suspect these remaining 15 lbs are, in fact, fat!
What was your weight-loss like the first six weeks after giving birth?

Replies

• cygnet246
    Options
    I tend to lose 20 in the first six weeks PP. Then, for whatever reason, I gain 5 or more back at around 3 months. Those 5, plus anything else I gained in pregnancy, stick around until weaning.
  • laylasmommy67
    laylasmommy67 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I gained 18 during pregnancy, and lost 28 by the time she was 3 weeks old...now I have 15 to get to my "goal" weight, and its not budging :(....

She was 8lbs5oz, so she was a chunk...and I was really puffy and pumped full of fluids, so I bet most of that was water
  • AmelieJG
    Options
    I tend to lose 20 in the first six weeks PP. Then, for whatever reason, I gain 5 or more back at around 3 months. Those 5, plus anything else I gained in pregnancy, stick around until weaning.

THIS exactly. I always always hate it when people tell me that BFing helps weight loss. Ya I'm on my third kid now and my weight doesn't budge at all unless I really really try until after I've weaned, then it just falls off! I'm still BFing now. I know that the weight that I had in spark people when I first decided that I had to lose the weight before I weaned was 162 and at the Drs office before delivering I was about 185 so I lost about 23 pounds. My FIL says that baby/water weight/placenta etc average weight loss is about 20 lbs on average.
  • cygnet246
    Options
    THIS exactly. I always always hate it when people tell me that BFing helps weight loss. Ya I'm on my third kid now and my weight doesn't budge at all unless I really really try until after I've weaned, then it just falls off! I'm still BFing now. I know that the weight that I had in spark people when I first decided that I had to lose the weight before I weaned was 162 and at the Drs office before delivering I was about 185 so I lost about 23 pounds. My FIL says that baby/water weight/placenta etc average weight loss is about 20 lbs on average.

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I"m always a teeny bit resentful of the moms that lose it all right away.
  • RealChange31
    RealChange31 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    So far I've lost only 19 of my 30, and I'm almost 5 weeks PP.
    I too don't believe the BF hype! Everyone keeps telling me not to worry; however, I think extra work is required for those last few pounds, and in some cases Breastfeeding will actually cause you to retain a bit of extra weight for back-up....

Anyway, as soon as I get the clear to go I'll be back at the gym! I'm going kind of insane, as the weather here lately has not been to conducive to walking (snow!).

Good luck!!
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I figured the last 8 would take work since it would set me at my default non-exercising/not calorie counting weight. But I am bummed these other 7 didn't drop yet. All I hear about are women at pre-preg size just a couple weeks after birth. How?!?
  • AmyRyan84
    AmyRyan84 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I went from 142 pre pregnancy to 174 the day I delivered. I'm exclusively breastfeeding and have been working out since 5 weeks or less pp. The scale has been stuck at 159-158. I count calories and workout and it's just not moving. I'm hoping that as long as I continue eating healthy and working out that eventually it will fall off. I too think that breastfeeding causes many women to hold on to some of the extra fat.
  • Cjumir
    Cjumir Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Pre - preg weight - 115

The day I gave birth - 145

2 weeks after delivery - 126lb

Then, I put on 10lb ( 136lb)

Today, I am 126lb...

11 lb from my pre-preg weight.

It was frustrating... I was working out and eating right and still put on weight...
    Very hard for me...
  • jasha13
    jasha13 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My baby was born on 10/18 and since then I have lost 27lbs.
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Pre-pregnancy - 155 (I'm 5' 9")

Weight at birth - 206 (10/24)

Weight 2 weeks later 180
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I'm four weeks postpartum I gained 44 pounds with my son.

I've lost 36 pounds so far, and I'm exclusively breastfeeding. I'm also pretty tall and imagine I was packing around a lot of extra fluid.

I think breastfeeding is working for me, I've got a big boy with a big appetite. I don't think my last 8 pounds will come off as easy, though. Oh well!
  • KWKY
    KWKY Posts: 110 Member
    Options

+1
    People used to tell me "oh you gained so little you'll lose it in no time". For both my girls I gained PP until I weaned, then dropped off fairly quickly.

Don't lose heart!!
  • Carolyn1012
    Carolyn1012 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Count me in! I lost about 18 in the first week with both my kids, then gained back about 5 when my milk established. I hold fiercely on to my last 10 pounds until weaning, then it falls off. It's sort of annoying. I try so hard to lose that last 10, then baby turns 1 and presto change-o, the last 10 is gone!
  • agent99oz
    agent99oz Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I put on 27kgs with both boys which is 60 pounds EEK
    Gave birth with my first lost 15kgs about 30 pounds and then had 12 kgs to lose which was all fat - took me a about 9 months to recover.
    2nd time around has been really tough.....has taken me nearly 16 months to get there and on a 1200 cal diet for the past 3 months training 6 days a week!
    My motto....never again :)
  • baybeecakes08
    Options
    I'm three weeks post party's right now and I only lost 10 of the 45 I gained.. Very disappointed about this.
  • Chriscadia
    Chriscadia Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I was 155 - 200lbs this time around (208 first time). 12 days PP I'm down at 181
    With my son I was able to go down to 162 without exercising much and not really watching what I ate.
    I went with Weight Watchers and went down to 135lbs but of course when I stopped I went up to 155lbs.
  • hgaspard83
    hgaspard83 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I lost 22 pounds the First couple of weeks , i did not go on a diet untill i stopped BF at 5 months old, now I am 10 months PP and I only have 21 pounds left of a 60 pound gain with Baby, so I think it just depends on the person. Baby was 7 pounds 12.6 oz

Good luck
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I put on 27kgs with both boys which is 60 pounds EEK
    Gave birth with my first lost 15kgs about 30 pounds and then had 12 kgs to lose which was all fat - took me a about 9 months to recover.
    2nd time around has been really tough.....has taken me nearly 16 months to get there and on a 1200 cal diet for the past 3 months training 6 days a week!
    My motto....never again :)
    Good to see that I am not the only one with extreme weight gain during pregnancy. Gained 33kg with my boy , which is around 73lb . It took me 3 yrs to lose it ainly because I BFing for 2yrs and not much come off during that period.
    I am already up 26kg , which is 68 lb and I am only 35 weeks along. I am. Very disappointed in my weigh gain, and I do not really understand it. I eat only 200 calories above my BMR , so I should have gained less then 1/4 of this weight . I hope I can lose it again like you after the ban comes
  • bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I am two weeks postpartum and so far I have lost 27 of the 33 pounds that I gained during pregnancy.
  • rexy3033
    rexy3033 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Pre-pregnancy weight 154
    Weight day baby was born 178
    Day after 171
    6 days PP 164 (and in my pre-preg jeans)
    10 weeks post-partum 152

I have been tracking calories and did run a 10 mile race at 7 weeks PP, started running regularly 2 weeks PP, and at 6 weeks PP started a lifting routine. A bit crazy, but it seems to be working (and I have very easy deliveries with no complications). Goal weight is 140-145, so I still have some work to do. As this was my 3rd and last baby I just want to drop the weight and get my body back as soon as possible. I aimed for 1900 net cals until 9 weeks PP, now aim for 1600 net cals (had to drop it as my weight plateaued for almost 2 weeks!) and I have not had any problems with supply for breastfeeding.