Hello everyone!

Options
Stacyanne324
Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
I am new to the group, happy to be here, and wanted to say hello! My name is Stacy. I am a 38 year old stay at home mother of three (ages 2,4, and 6) . I have been drinking since I hit college and haven't looked back (except during my pregnancies and even then I'd have the odd glass of wine or single beer). I have tried to cut down many times but haven't ever been successful for long if at all. Lately, I have been really looking at my relationship with alcohol and all that it costs me and I've decided I need to stop drinking. It has caused me to gain a lot of weight, I am not as present for my kids as I want to be and should be, and it costs us too much money when we already have enough debt to tackle. And then there is how terrible I feel a lot of mornings.

Over the weekend I read Allen Carr's Stop Drinking The Easy Way ...twice. It really hit home and sunk in. Saturday night I had my last drink(s) and haven't looked back. I'm only a couple days in but so far it's going better than i expected and I definitely owe it to the book. Normally if I try to abstain a day I fret all night about not drinking and I'm miserable. Right now I feel great and haven't been tempted. I can't believe it and I hope it lasts! I know the road probably won't always be easy but I'm confident I can do this and I'm happy to have others along for the ride!

Replies

• mistyladidah
    mistyladidah Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Hi! Welcome to the group! Besides our age being different, I could have written your first paragraph! What was your poison? I had my last for a long while back in August, and it's been awesome! I don't intend to have any for a few more months. Are you drinking anything to substitute?
  • Stacyanne324
    Options
    Thanks!!

Back when my husband and I were first dating and married my poison was Jack and Coke. Since becoming a Mom I mostly switched to beer before and after dinner and wine with. Every now and then a rum and coke but not very often. I'm not really drinking anything as a substitute persay...just what I would normally drink when it wasn't time to start drinking alcohol (meaning it wasn't 5pm yet).. iced tea, coffee, maybe an odd diet coke, and water.
  • mistyladidah
    mistyladidah Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Ewwww Jack! :noway: I was a Jim girl myself back in the day. :tongue:
  • Stacyanne324
    Options
    LOL!!
  • jplord
    jplord Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Hello Stacy,

WElcome and thanks for the book tip - I've never heard of it but will now look it up.

I stopped October 7. So far so good. I think we were in similar places. I loved alcohol in all it's tasty forms. grew up in a family that made drinking a social ritual and topic to be knowledgable about. Now I see that for me, personally, I crossed the line and my relationship with alcohol was stronger than my relationship with my 4 daughters and wife. Recognizing that (and going on a spontaneous binge that nearly killed me) was the motivation to quit.

Today I feel good. I hope you do too.
  • Fitorbust73
    Fitorbust73 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I am 53 days with out alcohol... I didn't drink during my pregnancies but I sure made up for it after.... I realised how damaging it was for my kids to see me drinking everynight and for the first time since uni I stopped drinking (besides pregnancy). I feel so much better... I dont know if this is a for now thing or a forever thing... Just taking it day by day!! Hang in there!
  • Stacyanne324
    Options
    Hello Stacy,

WElcome and thanks for the book tip - I've never heard of it but will now look it up.

I stopped October 7. So far so good. I think we were in similar places. I loved alcohol in all it's tasty forms. grew up in a family that made drinking a social ritual and topic to be knowledgable about. Now I see that for me, personally, I crossed the line and my relationship with alcohol was stronger than my relationship with my 4 daughters and wife. Recognizing that (and going on a spontaneous binge that nearly killed me) was the motivation to quit.

Today I feel good. I hope you do too.

Hi there!! I'm glad you found the motivation and the book is definitely worth checking out. I loved it but my husband not so much so it may depend on the person. But for me it was definitely key and I'm feeling great!
  • Stacyanne324
    Options
    Hello,

I am 53 days with out alcohol... I didn't drink during my pregnancies but I sure made up for it after.... I realised how damaging it was for my kids to see me drinking everynight and for the first time since uni I stopped drinking (besides pregnancy). I feel so much better... I dont know if this is a for now thing or a forever thing... Just taking it day by day!! Hang in there!

Hey! I'm right there with you!! I'm not sure this is forever either but I do know that I need to take a good long break and get away from the cycle I was in and get this weight off me. I know if I have a drink anytime soon I'll fall right back into that pattern and I'm not willing to let that happen.
    And it's definitely helping that I feel wonderful since I've stopped and the scale is starting to drop down.
  • janellep1966
    Options
    Hello to All

Stacy thanks for the recommend on the book.. will see if the libary has it ... I certainly need some HELP!!! I have been drinking a bottle of wine every night for years... funny how it creeps up on you started with a just a glass then two now at a place that my Relationship is with the my big Red and Not my gorgeous son.

I am hoping that with some support on MFPal some healthy lifestyle changes I too can be successful as you all have been.

I llok forward to finally saying to myself you feel wonderful!!! Will let you all know how I travel

Cheers