Question for those who have done whole 30...

Options
Fairysoul
Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
If I buy organic heavy whipping cream and make my own butter would that be qualified as clarified butter?

Replies

• amyalmighty
    amyalmighty Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It would only be Whole30 if you then melted your homemade butter down and removed the fat solids to make actual clarified butter.
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Clarified butter is when you take the milk solids out so you'd have to make your own butter, then melt it and remove the milk solids. So no. It'd be easier just to buy pre made butter and clarify it
  • sataylor24
    sataylor24 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I make my own and it is very easy. Takes awhile to skim off the fat solids but well worth it.
  • Fairysoul
    Options
    So what brand could I buy then? The whole thing is confusing!!!
  • Fairysoul
    Options
    Oh get it,ok nevermind!!
  • ricestephanie11
    ricestephanie11 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil.

HA!
  • reluctantMANGO
    reluctantMANGO Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Or just buy Ghee. There are several brands availabe on Amazon, and I find it in the Indian/Pakistani section of my farmer's market dry goods section.
  • 3lilkids
    3lilkids Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I make my own and it is very easy. Takes awhile to skim off the fat solids but well worth it.

Made my own this morning and wow! It was easy and so pretty. I was tempted to take a picture of my jar of clarified and my dish of milkfat.

Anyone know how long the milkfat will be good? Threw it in the freezer because I had a hard time throwing it away.
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    If you put the solids in the freezer, they should be fine easily a couple months just like regular butter when frozen (tightly sealed). But you can use it on veggies, in sweet potato mash, put some in your coffee, etc so if you're not doing a whole 30 or abstaining from dairy, they can be used up rather quickly on/in anything you want to be a little creamy
  • 3lilkids
    3lilkids Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    If you put the solids in the freezer, they should be fine easily a couple months just like regular butter when frozen (tightly sealed). But you can use it on veggies, in sweet potato mash, put some in your coffee, etc so if you're not doing a whole 30 or abstaining from dairy, they can be used up rather quickly on/in anything you want to be a little creamy

Exactly why I wanted to save it. Doing whole30 now, but will back off afterwards. Thanks :happy:
  • tracy1344
    tracy1344 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I purchase Purity Farms Organic Ghee at Dekalb Farmers Market (for those in the Atlanta area) 13 oz for $7.89. Cheaper than what Amazon has it.