Anybody only 2x per week?

jfrankic
jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
I am starting the program in about three weeks when I finish Insanity. I have a gym membership, but due to work, family scheduling, etc I will probably only be able to schedule 2x per week. I don't have any equipment at home other than some 5lb hand weights, ha ha! The book says that 2x per week is okay, but is it REALLY?

I've been going hard 6x per week for months (turbo jam, 10 minute trainer, insanity), so this such a change for me. A difficult mental switch for sure. Can anyone recommend a supplemental home workout to be my third weekly workout? If I do a (body weight) strength workout at home, I do not count that as an official A/B workout, right? It doesn't count unless it is the actual workout from the book?

Thanks for your help! I'm still reading the book, so this might be addressed as I read further. I'm just so excited.....and clueless....and nervous!

Replies

• CanGirl40
    CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
    I am a busy working mom of 3 and I was in relatively good shape (but didn't push myself with weights) when I started the program 7 weeks ago (I'm just finishing stage 1 this week).
    I was only able to commit to 2x/week as I have a commitment to a group training session on Sunday mornings. So I do workout A on Wednesday mornings and workout B on Friday mornings. It seems to work for me! I love the fact that I only workout 3x/week for just over an hour and don't have to kill myself or feel guilty......I like the pace I'm going and I like how my Sundays changed things up....

Good luck!
  • mermegan
    mermegan Posts: 143
    Hi J!

I think 2X is fine, because that's what's doable for you. And strength training is great—so it's awesome you're taking that step. You could always do one of your cardio dvd's on the third day, or even go with a bunch of body weight exercises. Pushups, planks, step ups, squats, etc. I've heard good things about the book "You are your own gym" which is all body weight exercises.

And yes, you'd do two NROL4W workouts a week—it'll just take you a little longer with each stage.

Megan
  • jfrankic
    Awesome!!!! Thank you so much for responding. I guess this means I some "nap time" ME TIME back soon. For the past 5 months, I have worked out during at least 90% of my kids' naptimes. I don't know what to do with 1 1/2 hrs to relax or do anything other than work out. I was thinking of doing Hiit or body weight on the third day but keep myself in check and only day 3 days. I had not thought about the flexibility of the third day, so that makes it even more exciting. I've read so many things of the benefits of 3x per week and rest days and it is so different from the mainstream thinking/programs.

I'm now counting the days until Insanity wraps up! I have 16 workout days left. Golly that sounds like so much! I'll just say 3 weeks. Thanks again for taking the time to respond. You will see me more on here, without a doubt!

Jennifer
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member

Can anyone recommend a supplemental home workout to be my third weekly workout? If I do a (body weight) strength workout at home, I do not count that as an official A/B workout, right? It doesn't count unless it is the actual workout from the book?

I think 2x/week is definitely OK. I usually do 3, but sometimes when life gets in the way, I only do 2, and it's fine.

If you can squeeze in a 3rd workout some weeks, I wouldn't add a strength workout, unless you can space it to be at least 2 days from your scheduled NROLFW workouts. Then, I'd just do an extra NROLFW workout those weeks that you can manage 3.

If your 3rd workout would be the day before or after one of your NROLFW workouts, I'd stick to moderate cardio, or try an interval workout. HIIT doesn't show up in the program until Stage 2, but if you've been workout out hard already, I don't see why you couldn't use it in stage 1 too. I'd just wait until stage 2 to lift & HIIT on the same day.
  • jfrankic

If you can squeeze in a 3rd workout some weeks, I wouldn't add a strength workout, unless you can space it to be at least 2 days from your scheduled NROLFW workouts. Then, I'd just do an extra NROLFW workout those weeks that you can manage 3.

If your 3rd workout would be the day before or after one of your NROLFW workouts, I'd stick to moderate cardio, or try an interval workout. HIIT doesn't show up in the program until Stage 2, but if you've been workout out hard already, I don't see why you couldn't use it in stage 1 too. I'd just wait until stage 2 to lift & HIIT on the same day.

Thanks! The 3rd workout will be at home, so it wouldn't be NROLFW but I will still space it out. I've been working out hard 5-6 days a week for 6 months and am in month 2 of Insanity. I'm ready for this new challenge!