Snacking in the evening

Options
suzette52
suzette52 Posts: 19 Member
What food do you eat as a snack in the evening when you are CRAVING something to eat?

Replies

• 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,867 Member
    Options
    Melon. Nice and juicy and sweet. If I want something I shouldn't have I go and clean my teeth. Nothing tastes nice after toothpaste.
  • californiagirl1950
    californiagirl1950 Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I usually try for a 100 cal snack, sometimes a bowl of cereal. I had the habit last year of when I started this journey (I was not on MFP at the time), but I would brush my teeth around 8 or little after, then when I wanted to eat or my dear honey had stuff to eat, I would just repeat over and over, I brushed my teeth, I can not eat. It actually worked. I sort of feel off that wagon this year and am just getting back to it.
  • Kiris2
    Kiris2 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Hey, super neat idea! I'm gonna start brushing my teeth earlier than bedtime and try that! I love melons, too, but they are out of season here and all yucky! I'm not crazy about apples....but I do have some frozen blueberries, strawberries, mangos. I used to get some really great tasting flavored yogurt (Iusually only eat fat free greek plain) and I would eat the great fruit flavored yogurts.:happy:
  • gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I brush my teeth, too, when I know I've had enough and should eat anymore that day! It works 99% of the time. And then there are times like yesterday when I just give in and say the heck with it. (lol)
  • suzette52
    Options
    Great idea of melons. Sometimes I will have a Braeburn apple cut in very thin slices (like chips), and it's sweetness satisfies me. Or I will sometimes have a sugar-free fudgsicle (40 calories, and it has just a little bit of fat), and it satisfies my chocolate craving and for the sake of "eating something" in the evening! :) I also found that brushing my teeth helps.
  • KathleenC12
    KathleenC12 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, eating at my calorie limit leaves me just hungry enough that it's hard to get to sleep.

I'll have a banana, whole or half depending on size. Or I'll have one square of a Lindt dark chocolate bar (53 cal) In fact , I always leave room for that little treat. I like the cereal idea too, and microwaved popcorn, but - more work.

Or you could have a glass of warm milk with a pinch of cocoa or a few drops of vanilla extract. I used to have sugarfeee hot chocolate but found a square of the real thing was infinitely better.
  • hen1946
    hen1946 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of ice cold grapes. It fills me up, its healthy and I like the taste (I test them in the store for sweetness)
  • lgimnich
    lgimnich Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, I just discovered this yesterday. I was making a pumpkin cream cheese roll to take to a church function and it only called for 2/3 or a cup of pumpkin. I thought, "what am I going to do with the rest of the can now?" So, I took it out, put it in a bowl, threw in some Spenda and cinnamon and it was WONDERFUL. Almost a "free food." I am going to keeps of it handy from now on. I am sure that adding any kind of extracts like vanilla, almond, coconut etc. would be great too, and I plan to just experiment.

The OTHER thing that I find is almost a "free" snack is frozen peas. Yes, that is what I said. I just put them in a bowl, shake some salt on them, and they are a great snack food.

Other things? Salsa with just a spoon. Campbells 98% fat free mushroom soup right out of the can. Butter beans or corn out of the can. etc. There are lots of canned vegetables that you can spice up that are really good. Of course, it helps that I am someone who likes anything. Fortunately, I am more of a salt person that a sweet person, and I find that I can add salt to anything without costing any calories.

I am really very excited about this new pumpkin thing that I just discovered. I hope that this helps!
  • californiagirl1950
    californiagirl1950 Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, I just discovered this yesterday. I was making a pumpkin cream cheese roll to take to a church function and it only called for 2/3 or a cup of pumpkin. I thought, "what am I going to do with the rest of the can now?" So, I took it out, put it in a bowl, threw in some Spenda and cinnamon and it was WONDERFUL. Almost a "free food." I am going to keeps of it handy from now on. I am sure that adding any kind of extracts like vanilla, almond, coconut etc. would be great too, and I plan to just experiment.

The OTHER thing that I find is almost a "free" snack is frozen peas. Yes, that is what I said. I just put them in a bowl, shake some salt on them, and they are a great snack food.

Other things? Salsa with just a spoon. Campbells 98% fat free mushroom soup right out of the can. Butter beans or corn out of the can. etc. There are lots of canned vegetables that you can spice up that are really good. Of course, it helps that I am someone who likes anything. Fortunately, I am more of a salt person that a sweet person, and I find that I can add salt to anything without costing any calories.

I am really very excited about this new pumpkin thing that I just discovered. I hope that this helps!

Now this is very interesting. I will have to try it after I use some pumpkin. Thanks
  • Mrsmartin61
    Options
    My 1st go to snack in the evning would be popcorn. Usually miscrowave bags. I want a air popper soon.

The post about the pumpkin sounds way yummy! I gonna try this one.

Also, I went to a town market day today -- a lady was selling small baked pies in six inch square pyrex dishes. Selling them for $5. I got one (pecan pie) -- cut in six small pieces...perfect for our portion control. And not enough to have in the house to kill my eating plan totally. I just might use these for Christmas gift ideas.
  • gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    My nighttime habit it chocolate -- York Peppermint Patties or Dark Chocolate with Almond Promises. They are both small enough that one or two is enough.
  • dorlincecum
    dorlincecum Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My go to snack is frozen blueberries in soy yogurt. Of course any yogurt would work. DELICIOUS!!!
  • suzette52
    Options
    Great ideas!
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    String cheese, pretzels, frozen yogurt!
  • helliem63
    helliem63 Posts: 40
    Options
    A slimline hot chocolate 40 cals, Weightwatchers chocolate bisquit 51 cals, mini meringue 19 cal or fruit.
  • Wooken3
    Wooken3 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    For something that crunches...Air popped corn topped with I can't Believe it Butter spray and Molly McButter or Kernal Season's

For something sweet...Nestles Rich Chocolate No Sugar Added coca

For something cold...any of the low calorie ice cream bars

All items are kept on-hand for those nocturnal feeding attacks. :bigsmile:
  • janmoulder2
    janmoulder2 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Almonds, pecan, walnuts, popcorn, chocolate, fage full fat yogurt with vanilla and truvia (Yum!)