Testing into your belt/ranking...

Options
2»

Replies

• peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I have always felt that chasing a belt is ****ing stupid. I get that it's an accomplishment, but what does it say when you PAY to get tested? It's about money. And if you can test for a black belt after a year of training, then something smells fishy to me.

This is the reason I don't test in BJJ or Judo. I have no problem throwing around and submitting higher belts than me.

I dis-agree whole heartedly. I say not testing is a fear of failure. In our school at least (I can't speak for others) If you do not pass, better luck next time. The fee only covers the cost of the new belt, nothing more. Our Instructor has even demoted a student that was not showing respect, this is not about money.
    If I was afraid to fail I wouldn't fight. I think a fight is a lot better test of your skills and ability than running through a few drills, etc. A belt is really meaningless to me.

This is not to demean those who are belt chasing or actively testing, bully for them. It's just not for me.

"A belt only covers 2 inches of your *kitten*. You have to cover the rest." Royce Gracie

ETA: I've worked with MULTIPLE 'purple belts' and 'blue belts' who absoutely sucked. I mean, just really bad. One 'purple belt' was submitted after being dominated for 3 minutes by one of my white belts who only had 2 weeks of training.

In the BJJ game around here, you need to attend a seminar at a cost of $40+ to be evaluated. This is above and beyond what it costs for classes. Some well known schools even charge you $100+ for your belt itself.
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I don't see testing as a money making venture depending on your school. In my experience it doesn't end up with the dojo and certainly not the instructor although Dan grade money does go to support the overall organization. That said, I come from a style where it is pretty unusual to get a Dan grade before 7-years (someone really gets to 3rd Dan in 3 years????????????????????). It just is not a big huge hairy deal and testing when your teacher asks you to shows your teacher respect. Refusing to test is refusing your instructor. I am not for insulting my instructor by any stretch.

Essentially it is what you make of it. Just show your teacher respect in my opinion, unless there is some reason it is not warranted. Most teachers do so because they care about the art they instruct, not because they are out to make a buck.
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I have always felt that chasing a belt is ****ing stupid. I get that it's an accomplishment, but what does it say when you PAY to get tested? It's about money. And if you can test for a black belt after a year of training, then something smells fishy to me.

This is the reason I don't test in BJJ or Judo. I have no problem throwing around and submitting higher belts than me.

I dis-agree whole heartedly. I say not testing is a fear of failure. In our school at least (I can't speak for others) If you do not pass, better luck next time. The fee only covers the cost of the new belt, nothing more. Our Instructor has even demoted a student that was not showing respect, this is not about money.
    If I was afraid to fail I wouldn't fight. I think a fight is a lot better test of your skills and ability than running through a few drills, etc. A belt is really meaningless to me.

This is not to demean those who are belt chasing or actively testing, bully for them. It's just not for me.

"A belt only covers 2 inches of your *kitten*. You have to cover the rest." Royce Gracie

ETA: I've worked with MULTIPLE 'purple belts' and 'blue belts' who absoutely sucked. I mean, just really bad. One 'purple belt' was submitted after being dominated for 3 minutes by one of my white belts who only had 2 weeks of training.

In the BJJ game around here, you need to attend a seminar at a cost of $40+ to be evaluated. This is above and beyond what it costs for classes. Some well known schools even charge you $100+ for your belt itself.

I understand your point and we are encouraged to fight in as many tournaments as possible. We had 18 Students fight at the AOMA TKD Nationals and every student EARNED a trophy (1st,2nd,3rd not just participation crap) in sparring with I think 7 first place as well as several more in traditional forms and board breaking. I am just saying that not all schools are money hungry and that belt testing shows respect and accomplishment.