Carbs are my slippery slope

mommycline
mommycline Posts: 106 Member
I was carb free for the first 6 months and then I slowly introduced them back in. I am still really careful on my grams of cards and don't like going over 50 but then I look at some people's food logs and I am like "holy cow that's so many carbs and sugars how are they not pooping and vomiting all the time."

Replies

• miss_erynn
    miss_erynn Posts: 140 Member
    I get between 120-150. Carbs store energy and release sugars more slowly and steadily. I am already iron-deficient and lacking in blood sugars, and my dietician said to incorporate more into my diet as I was like you, keeping them under 50. I eat GOOD carbs now, sprouted whole grains, etc, no carbs from fatty and/or sugary foods. I feel better since I started eat more breads, crackers, oatmeals, grains, nuts, etc.

But, everyone is different.............. for the longest time, until a week ago, eggs made me dump and vomit, and meat makes me dump and vomit now, whereas the breads don't.
  • mommycline
    mommycline Posts: 106 Member
    I am glad that you found something that works for you and your nutritionist is backing you up. I am fine with meat. No egg yolks for me...just whites. When I eat carbs I eat whole grains...but they are still sitting too heavy for me, even the small amount I eat. Some people's food diary seem crazy to me though. Like 30 protein, with 120 carb, and 67 sugars. WOW! Seems wait out of whack. But that's just me. I am glad I have this site to keep track of everything to run by my doc and make sure I am getting what I need. I am also have problems with low iron.
  • ErinShannon
    ErinShannon Posts: 158 Member
    I am two months post op - at my 6 week check up with the surgeon and dietitian they told me to keep my carbs to 30 per meal max for a total of 90 per day. I am finding that every Surgeon/Dietitian/WLS Clinic has different guidelines and rules. I notice a lot of differences between my "diet" and my friends that have had surgery but I chalk it up to our different Dr.'s, etc. Compared to what I was eating before - when I could have probably had 500 or more carbs for the day, 90 carbs for the day is amazing!

Protein I am to get 40-70 grams per day. Fat should be around 20 grams.

I try not to compare myself with others and just do what my surgeon/dietitian have told me to do.
  • miss_erynn
    I am glad that you found something that works for you and your nutritionist is backing you up. I am fine with meat. No egg yolks for me...just whites. When I eat carbs I eat whole grains...but they are still sitting too heavy for me, even the small amount I eat. Some people's food diary seem crazy to me though. Like 30 protein, with 120 carb, and 67 sugars. WOW! Seems wait out of whack. But that's just me. I am glad I have this site to keep track of everything to run by my doc and make sure I am getting what I need. I am also have problems with low iron.

My sugars are quite high too - but the sugars aren't coming from actual white sugar..... here's my diary for yesterday:

Calories: 1185
    Fat: 46
    Protein: 78
    Fibre: 19
    Carbs: 124
    Sugar: 29

And here's my diary for today:

Calories: 1153
    Fat: 40
    Protein: 90
    Fibre: 20
    Carbs: 136
    Sugar: 33

I don't think I'm off at all - but yes, I agree...I see some peoples' diaries and they're eating McDonalds/Wendy's/KFC/Taco Bell.... and I'm just stunned and sort of get angry inside........like, "why did you waste your insurance company's money if you're going to be non-compliant?" I think about people like Carnie Wilson, who clearly has NO willpower and is on her THIRD surgery..........it just stuns me. It's harder than dieting...............because most of us are adults, who have been living the same way for quite some time and breaking habits that we have grown into for YEARS, DECADES, ETC, are so hard to break!
  • mandynsnuf
    mandynsnuf Posts: 81 Member
    I know what you mean....I try to eat only "good carbs".
    Mandy
  • miss_erynn
    hey girls.

I just wanted to update ya:

I was in to see the diabetes nurse and my dietician at my bariatric clinic yesterday because I have been having problems with my blood sugars (and iron, but that's a whole other ball game).

Basically, my pancreas is working in overdrive and they used the term "super pancreas." The nurse said it's basically working TOO good (whatever that means? I either thought it worked or it didn't..... guess in the medical field there's levels of how well things work?).

Anyways, I was given a monitor and have to now INCREASE my carbs to try and stabilize them. I was reading about 4.0 (which is what they consider low for bariatric patients) for the past 2 days until about 20 minutes ago, when I normalized at 5.0 - I did, however, increase my carbs and sugars today. I have to NET 25g of carbs at each meal and at least 2 snacks (in case you don't know, you deduct fibre from carbs to get your net value). Plus, the dietician said because I am keeping cardio and circuit training up, I should aim to eat MORE than 1200 calories a day (he said between 1300-1400 on the days I workout) so that I don't fall really ill.

I'm so much MORE worse off now than I was before surgery. Ugh, so frustrating.