hi anyone still beaching it?

Options
c2111
c2111 Posts: 693 Member
Hi all its coming up to 2 months im wondering whose still doing the diet, im still phase 2 will be for a while. Its changed my perspective on nutrition all for the better in the 2 months Ive lost approx 10 pounds, about 5 kilos. So im wondering how everyone else is getting on? I still love it and its a way of life now, lifes a beach xxx :tongue:

Replies

• verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I am, I am .......

Glad to hear SB is working out so well for you ....... good job !

I've been eating SB for a number of years, with the occasional straying into "white-potato land" ...... am really glad I started Phase 1 here ........ managed to 99% shut down my sugar cravings ...... just need to remain vigilant, especially with the "holidaze" coming up .......

Keep on truckin' !
  • ErnestinesMom
    Options
    Put me in the still at it category...it is automatic now...the basics...(sometimes a slight wandering off the beach)...but the idea of as little processed foods as possible is a good one.

I definitely feel better...but I am not losing at the rate I would like. And that means more exercise...which would be fine, if only I would sleep through the night.

Anyway, yes, I am still in it...definitely a lifer!

ETA: I did wander into the sweet aisle yesterday at Trader Joes...the cereal bars...A fig and an apple walked into a bar.

Yowwee Zowweee...really good...not too sweet and all organic (with whole grains) with no hydrog oils. Sometimes the want overrides the need...at least for me it did yesterday!
  • MariAOK
    MariAOK Posts: 38
    Options
    Although I have fallen off the wagon the last couple of days, I am still beaching it! I need to get back on track. So here we go again. Today has been ok so far. Let's cross our fingers I make it thru the day.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I'm still staying low carb. I added a serving of fruit to my daily intake, but kept the other sugar, grains and starchy vegs out. My body does much better without them. So lean meats, cheeses, good fats and oils, and lots of veggies!! I will eat this way the rest of my life. My pain levels are so much lower than before.
  • QueenofScott
    QueenofScott Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    ME!! Been on SB a little over 2 months, and am loving it (well, most days)! I've lost 23 lbs so far. It has been easier than I imagined and the weight has come off faster than I expected. This is the first diet in the last three years that I have been able to stick to and seen good results. I am planning on being in for life:)
  • c2111
    Options
    well thats 6 of us, and we all seem happy shame the others couldnt stick around. What I did do because of this lifestyle change is plant a veggie patch which my kids look after its been so much fun and the capsicums and eggplants are flowering so home grown food soon. Also my hubby and kids diet have improved, which is a bonus, they eat brown bread and are happy :) Glad everyone still going with it, its a nice lifestyle, Enjoy and happy days everyone :smile:
  • verptwerp
    Options
    Well, today was definitely NOT beachy ........

I never got to the gym ....... and then selected something really "bad" at the restaurant ....... I swear, this was the first time EVER that my husband ate healthier than I did !

Back to beachiness tomorrow, though ....... I promise :laugh:
  • ErnestinesMom
    Options
    Still at it...but I have added a gnu flavor fiber bar to my breakfast. (not SB, but very healthy...no junk in it)...

website: http://store.gnufoods.com/store/?gclid=CN7IlOeTpLMCFeGDQgod8S0A6w

Sleep or lack of sleep is my biggest problem. and then when I am over tired, I make terrible choices...not the wrong food...just too much of the right food...

With that said, I feel better and am happier when I choose Ezekiel bread products over others. In fact when I walk down the bread aisle at the major markets...the smell makes me sick...

One other thing I have added is chicken thighs (bone in skin off when baked)...I mean, just how many boneless skinless chicken breasts can one eat and not go insane.

I did find a no sugar added bbq sauce on ...oh my gosh, where did I find it...oh yes, netrition.com 4.95 flat rate shipping costs...and lots and lots of brands and products to choose from

Ok doke...just finished walk on the tm...my longest I believe...and best part is I am not in any pain (knees)...

Hope everyone is safe today...if you are in the path of Sandy, we are thinking of you...and try and let us know how u r doing in the coming days.

Garden sounds wonderful, Claire...great example u r setting for your little ones.

Toodles for now. :heart:
  • ErnestinesMom
    Options
    Well, today was definitely NOT beachy ........

I never got to the gym ....... and then selected something really "bad" at the restaurant ....... I swear, this was the first time EVER that my husband ate healthier than I did !

Back to beachiness tomorrow, though ....... I promise :laugh:

Love the line about Mr. Grumpy Pants and how first time he ate healthier than you.

Listen, you are the champion SB'r ... and once in a while it is important to let loose and go for it. I know u r back at it today...

Lesson to all of us...when going off plan (notice I am NOT using the word cheat...oh no no no:noway: ) when u do go off plan, enjoy it...no guilt ...no no no...just eat and enjoy...hop back on the SB train the next day or meal and move on.

And Mary Ann, we all know your dedication to the veggie and exercise way of life...you did great...and man, does your chicken and waffle dinner sound good.

I remember my days going out for pancakes...and having the syrup drip on the bacon...bacon eggs and pancakes...very yum. Hey, now that I have Nature's Hollow nsa maple syrup...it is something I can do...using Claire's recipe for pancakes. YUMMO! :drinker:
  • verptwerp
    Options
    Well, I'd seen that "waffle & fried chix" combo on Food Channel, on "Diners, Drive-ins & Dives" ..... so what does THAT tell you :laugh:

A new restaurant opened here a few months ago and it was on their menu, along with 4 types of "mac & cheese" ...... well, yesterday I was feeling a little down ....... one of my two favorite coworkers has left us for a new job ....... yesterday I had to work all day by myself, and it was SO depressing ........ decided to treat myself to some "comfort" food ........ and yes it was good, but OMG it sat like a rock in my belly half the night ....... not used to eating like that :sad:

Water under the bridge ..... today's a new day ...... going to a friend's house to watch the Giants game ....... I've made a huge chopped salad (just in case :drinker: )

This storm is supposed to start tonight or tomorrow morning with heavy rains, high winds, flooding ....... we're as ready as we can be ........ we've got a generator, hope we don't need to use it ....... hope everybody involved stays safe !

Mary Ann
  • QueenofScott
    Options
    Question for you more experienced South Beachers. I have some lower sugar KIND bars and would really like to have one as a treat sometime. It's mostly nuts with a little dark choclate.....200 calories with 5 g sugar, 7 g fiber, and 5 g protein. It is low glycemic. I know the sugar makes it non- SB approved, but do you think it would be ok to have this very one in a while? I have been very careful thus far and don't want to mess myself up. Thanks in advance!
  • verptwerp
    Options
    Question for you more experienced South Beachers. I have some lower sugar KIND bars and would really like to have one as a treat sometime. It's mostly nuts with a little dark choclate.....200 calories with 5 g sugar, 7 g fiber, and 5 g protein. It is low glycemic. I know the sugar makes it non- SB approved, but do you think it would be ok to have this very one in a while? I have been very careful thus far and don't want to mess myself up. Thanks in advance!

^

Are you still trying to lose a lot of weight ...... or closer to maintenance ?

My humble opinion ....... I consider them as "emergency food" .......have it once in awhile, and if you notice you're reaching for them too often OR if they increase cravings for other foods, then ditch them .......

My nutritionist's opinion ...... they are glorified candy bars :sad:

M.A.
  • ErnestinesMom
    Options

Not all bars are created equal. I always check out the ingredients. If you look at a lara bar, it is just food. zippo else

I do like the gnu fiber bars...I have extremely low blood pressure and get shaky on the TM if I do not have something early on in the morning...and they just work...but I do look over the ingredients.

Glorified candy bar...not all of them...IMHO.

I would especially be on the look out for palm oil as an ingredient...not good. I think the Kind bars with chocolate do have palm oil.
    (not sure)

Any bar is not SBD friendly if you are a SBD purist*. With that said, they sell bars South Beach Diet Bars...Healthy Never Looked So Good...too funny and very hypocritical...especially if you look at the ingredients ... disgusting.

Kind bars, Lara Bars, Gnu fiber bars...pretty good choice IMO.

*ETA: speaking of the official SBD website...on the one hand, advocate whole foods, only...on the other, advertise (and even send out coupons) SBD bars...whose ingredients are, in my opinion, suspect.
  • ErnestinesMom
    Options
    Dates, Almonds, Apples, Walnuts Raisins, Cinamon in a Lara bar... the Apple Pie.

That's it.

Too funny when they list their ingredients...they just show the picture of each item.

Cannot do that with any other bar.

Fun to check out their website.
  • margieyoumans
    margieyoumans Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I'm still beaching it. I've started heavy lifting so scale isn't moving but I'm still shrinking.
  • ErnestinesMom
    Options
    I'm still beaching it. I've started heavy lifting so scale isn't moving but I'm still shrinking.

Excellent...muscle takes up a whole lot less space than fat and it pays rent by using up a lot more calories...(fat is a free loader)...so good for you...keep it up! :drinker:
  • QueenofScott
    Options
    Yes, I still have a lot of weight to lose.....about 45 lbs. I try to go pretty closely by the SB standards, but some things are difficult to find, being so strict with sugar, especially. Just closely inspected one of the KIND bar labels. I knew about the honey, but hadn't looked closely enough to see the palm kernal oil. Oh well, I will probably just let hubby and the kids eat the rest of them. I bought them as a healthy snack/breakfast for me before starting my weight loss. Overall, I do think they are better than a lot of choices one could make, but I guess I'll pass on them for now. I do eat some of the SB products and have noticed they have some ingredients that are "not allowed" on the plan....I wonder why they would do that.
  • c2111
    Options

Excellent...muscle takes up a whole lot less space than fat and it pays rent by using up a lot more calories...(fat is a free loader)...so good for you...keep it up! :drinker:

Well done and I love the analogy of muscles paying rent! I like that a lot, I have no advice on choc bars I try to avoid them, I've been not very strict lately so plan to get back into it again soon :)
  • Krohnie
    Krohnie Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    going on my 5th week of the beach. Phase one was wonderful. Phase 2 seems like I'm slipping. Like now that I've had a taste of the carbs I'm getting my cravings back. I'm going to go back to phase 1 for this week and get myself kicking again. Hope you guys are all doing well. I'm going to get my exercise program going again, so hopefully that will get things started again. I'm down almost 9lbs, so that's wonderful, but I want to keep the losses coming. I love the changes!!
  • verptwerp
    Options
    Hi, gang !

I gained a little over the last week ....... worrying about anything makes me reach for bread and chocolate (yes, sometimes together LOL) rather than a salad ...... but even low-cal stuff like Ezekial bread & dark chocolate add up after awhile :laugh:

Yet I won't give up ....... because it's too easy to whine & say "oh, I can't do this, this is too hard" ........ and listen girls, don't think that I don't get as depressed about it as the next person ...... I do ...... I step on the scale & want to throw the freaking thing out the window ...... and then go cry for a few seconds in the shower :sad:

But then it's over ...... I pull my big-girl pants on & get on with life ...... and I like the challenge ...... if one thing doesn't work, then try a different approach ....... try not to overthink things ....... personally, all that TDEE/BMI/blah-blah-blah stuff makes my head hurt ...... if it works for you, great ....... if not, that's great too .......... FIND OUT WHAT WORKS !

Plus I like being in control ..... and there's very little in life that I actually get to CONTROL ...... I'm the ONLY person who can put food in my mouth ...... so I need to flip that switch in my head that says "go ahead, eat that" ........ and instead say "look dummy, you KNOW that grease, salt, sugar, etc will kill you" :noway:

Harsh, yes ...... but coddling myself doesn't work ...... today is a new day & a new chance to show "food" who is boss ..... and that boss is me :drinker:

Whew, I'm tired now & need a nap ..... love yourselves & have a beachy day :heart: