Increasing Weight Question

hablondi
hablondi Posts: 127 Member
Hi - I just started this program, though I am not new to lifting weights. I have a question about the progression of increasing our weight.

Today I did dumbbell shoulder presses - 2 sets at 15 reps with 15# dumbbells. Now, on the third workout, I am supposed to do 2 sets at 12 reps. I highly doubt that I am going to be ready for the 20# dumbbells after two workouts, but doing only 2 sets of 12 is going to be easier than the first 2 workouts, not harder.

I am sure that I am not the only person who has run into this. What advice do you have?

Replies

• Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Have you tried the 20s yet? You might surprise yourself! If not, do as many as you can at the higher weight, then finish with the 15s.

ETA: OR take a mid-set break.
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Have you tried the 20s yet? You might surprise yourself! If not, do as many as you can at the higher weight, then finish with the 15s.

ETA: OR take a mid-set break.

Good advise. I had to take a several breaks with the lunges today, because the dumbells wear killing my hands.
  • mermegan
    mermegan Posts: 143
    I agree--try 20's and do as many as you can then switch.

Does your gym not have 17.5s?
  • hablondi
    hablondi Posts: 127 Member
    Thanks. These are great options to try.

And no, my gym doesn't have 17.5s. You would think it would be something Gold's would have . . .
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    I'm at Golds and we don't have 17.5 either. I did like 8 reps with 20 and the rest with 15. It's a big jump!
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    I feel very lucky that my gym has magnetic weighted plates that you can stick on the ends of dumbbells to gradually increase weight without jumping up then next 5lbs. They have 1.25 and 2.5lb magnets - I especially like that for the moves where it's hard to make a big jump up in weights (YWTL move in Stage 3, for example). I at least feel like I'm making *some* progress even if I only go up by 1.25lbs.
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    I'm at lifestyle now la fitness and they have 12.5 and 17.5 they are hinding on the floor under the other dumbells.