Just Starting; Need the 101.

Options
Alright,

So there's a lot of confusion from my roommate (who's knee deep in this topic due to having gastric bypass and needing food requirements to change), but as well on various other strength websites, and livestrong.

How much protein should I be eating to build muscle mass? And how much to workout to see the needed effects?

I read on sites I should eat 1g per pound of target weight or even .8g of pound per target weight.
As I am trying to loose weight, and build muscle at this point (I am medically considered 'obsessed'). So for my target weight (150), I'd be consuming 150-120g of protein on workout days?? That's an insane amount.

However according to OTHER resources and my roommate, you can't synthesizes over 80grams a day, and most people shouldn't eat more then 47 on a normal day. And in one setting the body can't biosynthesis more then 30g at a time in a sitting?

Needless to say, I'm terrible confused.

Replies

• RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I'd start with 100 grams a day. If you are having problems reaching that, then 150-200 is gonna seem insurmountable. Don't worry about getting it right all at once, you won't. Just do moderate amounts of fats, carbs, and proteins, and spread it out during the day. You can get crazy specific later. Just pick a calorie amount and do 100 gr of protein and then divide the rest into fats and carbs.
  • kajpen
    kajpen Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm 119 pounds and I consistently take in 120 - 160 grams of protein each day (with a bare minimum goal of 100 grams per day). Your body can't process more than about 50 grams at each meal.

There are tons of reports out there that will support or denounce everything under the sun, including nutrition/diet/protein/carbs/fats, etc :-) You really need to find whats best for you.

For me... I lift heavy weights several times a week, so higher protein has definitely been better for me, and I've seen my body composition/muscle definition improve with the higher protein. Keep in mind that this is also because my body fat levels are dropping too.

When I have a lower protein day (100 grams or slightly less) I feel it. But again, this is just me. Everyone is different. So you'll need to experiment with it and find what works best for you.
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys.

I do want to build muscle, that is the end goal. Dead lift my mom (lol, is the joke) and all that fun jazz. I just got to get to the part where I'm not the slug, and I'm the body I feel and want.

I'll try out pumping up the protein these next few months, as I am starting 'baby' steps with the 30day shred/30day ripped and in January start the P90x program.