Combatting Holidays

Options
Ok folks, the holidays are just around the corner. This is a busy and stressful time of year and of course there is food everywhere. Personally from October on is rough for me. We host a Halloween party for our anniversary, this year we are both in my sister-in-law's wedding the week before Thanksgiving, and then the holidays start. This brings me to my last goal of the year 15 pounds by Christmas. (I pick days with significance to stay motivated and so I don't forget) My doctor thought he would add to the challenge by waiting to do my next round of labs until the new year. (I have to say my doc is kinda awesome. He keeps me coming in every 3-4 months to keep me motivated and watch my blood pressure) Anyhow, before it gets too crazy I wanted to open up a discussion about how we can combat the holidays this year. Lets get the comments and ideas flowing gals and guys!

Replies

• MissySho
    MissySho Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    When going to parties or holiday meals, two good things to remember that is a must do. One drink lots of water, and eat a big salad before going to the party or meal. The salad and a good amount of water will help fill you up on healthy things so that you can only enjoy a little of the not so good for you things.

We are doing a whole new non-traditional menu for Thanksgiving this year. And I am cooking all of it myself. It's alot to take on but I want to make sure I know how much of what goes into the food.
  • Brandification
    Brandification Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    If you're interested, I'm starting a challenge as of November 1st running through New Year's. The goal is your own, it's just to keep us all on track through the holidays. :)

Challenge info is in this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/777364-anyone-interested-in-a-challenge
  • penguinjlynn
    penguinjlynn Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    If you're interested, I'm starting a challenge as of November 1st running through New Year's. The goal is your own, it's just to keep us all on track through the holidays. :)

Challenge info is in this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/777364-anyone-interested-in-a-challenge

Thanks, will totally check that out!
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    I am in Canada, so we had Thanksgiving at the beginning of this month already.....so for me that is just one day...

My DR always says that the Holidays are really only one week, so you need to not worry about what you put in your mouth between Christmas and New Year's, its only 9 days, what you need to worry about, is what you put in your mouth between New Year's and Christmas.....
  • Joanitude
    Joanitude Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I think this time of year can be managed with some planning:

1) Big picture - know there will be days when you are over your daily goal - look at weekly goal instead.
    2) Pick & choose - pick one favorite splurge instead of the whole dessert bar
    3) like Missy said - drink lots of water, eat bulky foods before you go when possible
    4) up the exercise to earn extra calories
    5) track every bite, no matter how small - this is the hardest for me.

At least this is my plan - YMMV
  • SavageFeast
    SavageFeast Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I am going to focus on the socializing/celebratory aspect of the holidays and less on the food that accompanies it. I will aim to keep my eating as similar to my usual non-holiday eating as possible. It will be very different for me, but the staisfaction of knowing that I can enjoy myself and my family and friends without being in or near a food coma or ruining my hard work will be worth it :smile: