In the time it takes to toast a bagel...

Options
caribougal
caribougal Posts: 865 Member
I proved to myself that making eggs is a fast breakfast...

I was about to walk out the door this morning, AGAIN, with no lunch packed or breakfast. I did that yesterday, and luckily had some leftover deli meat and cheese cubes from a sad Panera catering platter left in the office kitchen. But... I was very close to getting another $12 salad from the shop across the street, and I've already done that once this week.

So... I forced myself to put my purse down, and pack a lunch. I timed it... it took 3 minutes. Leftover cauliflower rice. celery stalk with hummus (I know, not Paleo, but OK in my book), sliced pear, cheese sticks wrapped in prosciutto (which my hubby bought since they looked like bloody fingers for a Halloween dinner he made the other night). Perfect lunch.

Then, I was going to grab an apple for breakfast, but decided to time myself making eggs. It took exactly 4 minutes, from getting ingredients out of fridge to wiping down cast iron pan and putting it away. 2 fried eggs with 1 slice of cheese melted over, on top of 1/2 avocado and some diced tomato. I plopped that into a container and ate it at work, still warm.

Feeling full and smug.

Replies

• Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Yay!! Go you!!!!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I was thinking about all the excuses that I see on MFP about how busy people are and how eating healthy takes too long. I had beef ribs last night and steamed cauliflower with cheese melted on after putting it on the plate. It took 20 minutes, but could have taken 15 if I didn't over-cook my ribs. Of course, the dishes still aren't done! lol
  • skwidlund
    skwidlund Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I can brew coffee, scramble eggs and reheat a sweet potato in under 5 minutes and I'm full until lunch. I can add in sausage without taking any mroe time. It used to take me that long to open a box of cereal and I'd be hungry again in an hour!
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    It's not that it takes so long, it's that I am so overwhelmed with my other responsibilities that it feels like the straw breaking my back. Until someone can give me another 6 hours a day (or another day entirely), I don't think that's going to end. Luckily, I live in an era and place where I can arrange for food to be delivered (and seriously, there's a local place that even does prepared paleo meals- no joke-- I love Western WA).
  • MrsAbles
    MrsAbles Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    The number one reason we procrastinate is because we think 'whatever' will take way longer than it actually does. Way to go, Caribou!