Just because u r short, does not mean u must starve.

Options
shorty35565
shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
I think it's a misconception that you have to eat very little to lose weight, even if you are short. But I dont think that is true at all. Your calories should be more based on your weight in my opinion. Because a person who is 5'10 & 170 will burn the same as someone who is 5'2, 170 (that is if they're on the same activity level). Yes, the 2 will LOOK very different, because one is taller. BUT 170lbs is still 170lbs no matter who it is on. And if you do weigh that much, you are burning more than you think in a day. The trick to losing weight is eating under you TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) not to eat as low as possible. Actually eating too low & not enough protein can result in muscle loss, something that you don't want to happen.
I am 5'4.75 and 122.6lbs. I have a bodymedia which tells me my TDEE at the end of the day. I burn between 1800-2000 cals a day, depending on how much I move around. I am sedentary for the most part, but I try 2 move around as much as I can being cooped up in my apt. When I have a reading assignment for college, I pace around the apt while reading so I will burn. That does help quite a bit believe it or not. Now if I did more cardio my TDEE would b ever higher, even though I do have a lowish weight. But I mostly just lift heavy & do light cardio, like walking.
Anyways, the point of this is to tell you that you don't have to eat super low to lose weight. :)
When I started out I ate low too but I've been doing this over a yr now & it's amazing what all you can learn in that time. I lost a lot of muscle doin it the way I did. I don't want anyone else to do that.
http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ < try this calculator to see how much you can eat. And don't mind MFP lol MFP also has terrible ratios, with protein at 10%. I changed mine to 25%.
Hope this helps any1 :)

Replies

• LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    MFP does set our protein low but i intentionally eat more than suggested because i loose better with a higher protein percentage. I don't think we have to starve but when i gain even a little , that weight goes straight to one place, my stomach. It looks awful with an extra 7 or 8 lbs sitting right on the belly.
    So i D0 think the weight issue is harder for those of us who are shorter.
  • meg1hirschi
    Options
    MFP does set our protein low but i intentionally eat more than suggested because i loose better with a higher protein percentage. I don't think we have to starve but when i gain even a little , that weight goes straight to one place, my stomach. It looks awful with an extra 7 or 8 lbs sitting right on the belly.
    I totally agree!!!!
  • Juliane_
    Juliane_ Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Do you eat your exercise calories? I did the calculator but would that be net calories or total consumption?
  • shorty35565
    Options

I upped my protein too :) I try to eat over 100g a day.
    It depends on where u carry ur weight. I, too, carry in my belly. But some ppl carry in their hips/booty.
    Of course shorter people have to weight less, cuz their frame can't hold as much weight. But what I'm saying that a lot of people think they can only 1200 calories, when they can more than likely eat more. If they gain, they should give it a little time, because eating low will slow down ur metabolism & u have to give it time 2 speed back up.
  • shorty35565
    Options
    Do you eat your exercise calories? I did the calculator but would that be net calories or total consumption?

I have a bodymedia, so my exercise is figured in w/ my TDEE, but I guess I probably do eat them back. MFP exercise cals are just a guesstimate though, so mayb only it part of them back just to be safe? Netting at least ur BMR would b a good idea :)
  • Juliane_
    Juliane_ Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I use a heart rate monitor to get a better estimate of my calories burned. It sounds like you are eating back your exercise calories. I only eat about half of them anyhow or 50 calories worth.

The calculator gave me:

BMR 1200
    TDEE: 1440
    To reach goals: 1152

So basically a minimum of 1152 and a max of 1200. Am I on the right track?
  • shorty35565
    Options
    I use a heart rate monitor to get a better estimate of my calories burned. It sounds like you are eating back your exercise calories. I only eat about half of them anyhow or 50 calories worth.

The calculator gave me:

BMR 1200

Ur tdee is only 1400??? Whoa. How much u weigh?
  • westonhive
    westonhive Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Ive been eating 1200 calories for almost a month now. I am 4'11 and I weight 207, I started at 213. I only eat 1200 because I get full from 1200-1400 calories a day. I cut my portions in half and thats hiw I ended up with 1200. Am I hurting myself? I work out twice a week,
  • shorty35565
    Options
    Ive been eating 1200 calories for almost a month now. I am 4'11 and I weight 207, I started at 213. I only eat 1200 because I get full from 1200-1400 calories a day. I cut my portions in half and thats hiw I ended up with 1200. Am I hurting myself? I work out twice a week,

I used the link I provided to look at what it says you should eat and its giving me 1619.
    I think maybe tht website is a little off, because it says a lower TDEE than mine actually is. Playin with ur calories is a important I think, because everyone is different of course. But I do believe you can eat more & probably should. If you're scared to jump up to 1600, mayb try increasing by a 100 every week and see what happens. In fact, that's what I would do, increase a little each week. If ur still losing at 1600 then I think that would b a good place for u. Eating low will slow down ur metabolism & we all want faster metabolisms right?
    Make sure you do get in enough protein! I suggest at least 25% of ur cals.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options

The calculator gave me:

BMR 1200

You should eat your BMR or MORE not less xoxo

I don't starve. I have eaten 1700 calories, worked out for an hour or two and lost weight that way. I eat 1300-1600 (my days vary) and I lose more than a lb a week usually.