Introduce Yourself

Options
violet976
violet976 Posts: 310 Member
Please feel free to introduce yourself here.

*Your current goals
*Your current workout routine
*Which Richard Simmons dvds you have tried, which you enjoy most & why?

Replies

• violet976
    Options
    I'm 30 years old and only taken a real interest in getting in shape and eating better within the past 4 years. I've been vegetarian since high school, vegan for over 5 years, but had never really thought about keeping in shape or exercise. A few years back I finally discovered that I loved walking outdoors, but found little motivation for much else. I've finally decided to turn that around, and began with my Jillian Michaels dvds. My mother then referred me to Richard Simmons dvds, stating that they were quirky but that she really had a lot of fun with them, so I just requested Sweatin' to the Oldies 2. Waiting for it to arrive, but looking forward to adding a little fun into the current routine, even if I feel goofy dancing along with it. I've heard others say it's actually a lot of fun.

My current goals are simply to get the toned body I had in my earlier twenties back, and I'm finding that having groups of like-minded people to talk to has really helped to keep me motivated. Right now I want to stick to daily 40 minute walks outdoors, one Jillian Michaels dvd per day, and hopefully add in a Richard Simmons each day to keep things fun & a little more lighthearted. I've also been trying to keep all processed foods out of my diet, and sticking mainly to home-cooked meals where I can really see what goes into my food.
  • rubberbiscuit
    Options
    I don't own any of the DVD's right now, but this looks like fun. I used to own some of the VHS tapes back in the 90's when they were popular and I really liked that he had people of every size and shape exercising with him. The music was a lot of fun, and the moves were a lot of fun. This inspired me to look into buying one or two for my current DVD collection.

About me. I'm 47 years old, mother of 5, grandmother of 6. I've been married to a great guy for 22 years. I have more than 100 pounds to lose.
  • violet976
    Options
    @ Rubberbiscuit: Glad to meet you & it's great to hear more positive comments on these workout dvds. I'm actually really looking forward to them with all the great comments I've heard, and am hoping my library zips the first one over in a jiffy. I had never really taken them seriously until now, but I guess that was actually the point of them, to simply let go & let loose. & I love the motivation this site has to offer with as well. There is such a range of people with such varying goals, & it's really encouraging to follow real people along their fitness journey. I noticed you have lost 60 pounds so far, which is absolutely amazing to me. Seeing stories like those is a great reminder that our goals are definitely achievable, but that we have to push through it if we really want to succeed.
  • cydthesquid
    Options
    I'm 51 years old and want to lose about 13lbs and tone up. I have all 5 of Richard Simmons Sweatin' with the Oldies, but I'm hoping that being on this forum will give me more incentive to actually do them 5 days a week!
  • violet976
    Options
    @ cydthesquid: You have more than one of his dvds? Can I borrow one on Sunday to get started?
  • cydthesquid
    Options
    Sure. I"ll give it to you when I see you. We can switch out every week. :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    For anyone who has a VCR .... .. I have 3 sealed Richard Simmons VHS tapes.... for postage reimbursement only. If interested PM me, media mail is pretty cheap $2.66.

Tapes are:
    Richard Simmons - Sweat & Shout
    Richard Simmons - Dance Your Pants Off
    Richard Simmons - Latin Blast Off
  • hijude57
    hijude57 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I do not presently have any dvd's but have been considering getting a few. I am old enough to have watched the original tv show.
    What would be the best?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I do not presently have any dvd's but have been considering getting a few. I am old enough to have watched the original tv show.
    What would be the best?

There are a couple of websites that are really good for checking out reviews & video clips .... so you can see what you're getting

http://www.collagevideo.com/searchresults.aspx?type=all&search=richard+simmons

http://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/category-s/306.htm
  • violet976
    Options
    @ HiJude57: CydtheSquid has 4, I'll ask her which she prefers best. Is there a style that you prefer, so perhaps she can see which is the best fit for you?
  • cydthesquid
    Options
    hijude57

All of the Sweatin' With the Oldies are good, so I would recommend any one of those. I have also purchased two of his others, but did not like those near as much. What I would do is look at the songs that are on each Sweatin' With the Oldies dvd and choose that way.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Jorean.

My workout routine is currently cardio M-W-F and TRX Tues and Thurs. Saturdays I try and do something and Sundays are ehhh.... I sometimes go hiking.... sometimes I don't.

My goal is to just get fit and life a healthier lifestyle. I want to hike Machu Picchu in a year and am using that as an excuse to get healthy and in physical shape.

Richard Simmons is just awesome.
  • violet976
    Options
    Welcome Joreanasaurou. Glad to see that there are a few others with an interest in the Richard Simmons workouts.

Two more days until the November Challenge officially begins, and again, anyone who would like to can feel free to start early. There's really no set schedule, just hoping to enjoy these with a group of like-minded people. Those who aren't doing any other routines can try for one per day, & I'm sure others will be incorporating them into their own personal fitness schedule.
  • rubberbiscuit
    Options
    What would be the best?

I was a teenager when he had his show. We used to watch it all the time. I used to like his motivational speeches at the end of the show.
  • Maryt1961
    Maryt1961 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I don't remember when he had a show, but I do remember when he was on general hospital....one of the things he said then that always stuck with me is about how don't want to call it a diet because the first 3letters are D I E...and who wants that.....instead it is a LIVE it, since that is the goal...to live with positive choices...he Camelot Michigan a few years ago...I went with a friend to see him...seemed very sincere in what he is doing...I'd love to be able to take some of his classes...wish he was closer...I think it would be great fun....little about me...I'm soon to be 51...not sure how that happened! My son will be 20 in 2 weeks...how time flies! My husband is in phenomenal shape...something I keep working toward...challenge sounds like fun!
  • violet976
    Options
    @ Mary: Glad to have you join us. We're all simply going at our own pace & trying to keep it fun. I missed a few days as things got hectic & my other routine really wore me out, but I'm hoping to get back on track with this tonight. I think Sweatin w/ the Oldies 2 just left a bad taste in my mouth, and so I need to do #1 again to remind myself that I actually really enjoyed it.
  • Maryt1961
    Maryt1961 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Just ordered DVD off amazon....have plenty of others to keep me busy!
  • MoCrafter
    MoCrafter Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I love Richard Simmons. I have Sweating to the Oldies 1, 2, 3, and 4 on DVDs. I use them all the time. I have done his exercises enough, that now when I hear the music of one the songs on his DVD, I automatically want to start doing the movements. LOL

About me, I am 54, married for 35 years, mama to 5 grown children, and grandma to 5 grandchildren. I love cats and dogs and love to hand quilt. I am also diabetic and allergic to wheat. Sure makes eating interesting. I had let myself go to the point where I could not stand it any more. My dh and I both started eating healthy the last week of September. He has lost 30 lbs and I have lost a little over 12.

I am 5' tall and weigh 195 lbs. I would like to get down to 130 lbs, maybe a little less. I found this site about 10 days ago and have really enjoyed keeping track of my food and exercise. I just got a Polar FT4 HRM this week, so I could more accurately figure out my calorie burn.

I have a Schwinn stationary bike that I try to ride for 30 minutes daily. I also walk to some Leslie Sansone DVD's and use some free hand weights.

I did not know there was anyone else out there that uses Richard's DVDs. LOL
  • cydthesquid
    Options
    Hello,
    I love Richard Simmons. I have Sweating to the Oldies 1, 2, 3, and 4 on DVDs. I use them all the time. I have done his exercises enough, that now when I hear the music of one the songs on his DVD, I automatically want to start doing the movements. LOL

About me, I am 54, married for 35 years, mama to 5 grown children, and grandma to 5 grandchildren. I love cats and dogs and love to hand quilt. I am also diabetic and allergic to wheat. Sure makes eating interesting. I had let myself go to the point where I could not stand it any more. My dh and I both started eating healthy the last week of September. He has lost 30 lbs and I have lost a little over 12.

I am 5' tall and weigh 195 lbs. I would like to get down to 130 lbs, maybe a little less. I found this site about 10 days ago and have really enjoyed keeping track of my food and exercise. I just got a Polar FT4 HRM this week, so I could more accurately figure out my calorie burn.

I have a Schwinn stationary bike that I try to ride for 30 minutes daily. I also walk to some Leslie Sansone DVD's and use some free hand weights.

I did not know there was anyone else out there that uses Richard's DVDs. LOL

Glad to meet you! I bought my R Simmons videos about a year ago and just love them! I do take a lot of grief from people but I just think he is such a funny little man! I also love the fact that there are people of all ages and sizes.

Good luck with your goals!
  • MoCrafter
    MoCrafter Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks, yes, my kids always make fun of me for doing STTO, but I still love them. I have used them off and on for years. I started out with VHS tapes. I watched Richard on General Hospital. That got me interested in his way of exercising. I know he is corny, but I also believe he is a very caring and loving man. Good luck with your goals too.,