What am I doing wrong?

Options
SereneRose
SereneRose Posts: 499 Member
Hey all!
I'll admit I'm not the angel I should be on Keto at the weekends but I don't go nuts but during the week I'm eating low carb and high fat and i've been at this since 3rd Sept and in that time i've only managed to lose 7lbs. I do Turbo Fire 4x a week and I'm lifting with Chalean Extreme (just completed Push phase) I've increased my water intake and take a multivitamin.

Any advice what I'm doing wrong is appreciated as I'm bouncing around the same numbers and can't get past 220.
I've read that keto is supposed to help with pcos but I'm working hard but not seeing the result.

Also I cut out soda months ago not even diet, don't take sugar in tea and I'm set at 1200 calories a day and sometimes eat above when hungry after exercise.

Thank you.

Replies

• LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Short answer: You are not eating enough calories.

Long answer: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • Chicagolopez
    Chicagolopez Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I saw your diary, I dont think you are doing anything wrong. I at times plateau for a period of time and then the weight boom falls off then I plateau again. Keep at it. Take a look at this then tell me what you think.

How To Age Better
    http://thenextweb.com/shareables/2012/10/21/how-to-age-better-off-topic-but-a-must-watch/

I think this show aired in England 1st.
  • praxisproject
    praxisproject Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Are logging your exercise? I didn't see any on the entries I looked at. If you're not logging your exercise, you won't be eating anywhere near enough calories. MFP will add extra calories onto your daily allowance when you log your exercise. You also look a lot taller than me, but eating the same calories with a LOT more exercise.

Agreed, not eating enough :) Waaay down on calories, protein and fat some days, be careful you're not burning up your Lean Body Mass (muscle).
  • SereneRose
    SereneRose Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone.

I'm 5"2 and I exercise weekdays and usually take a break weekends and I log it, usually lasts an hour take a look from Monday onwards this week and last. I do strength normally to stop me losing lean muscle just taking a 2 week break from it.
    I do have trouble thinking of fats to eat so normally I stick to bacon and eggs, burgers, sausages etc as they are high fat and usually a salad for lunch with fish or chicken. I don't always hit 1200 after exercise because I'm not hungry but when I first began this lifestyle admittedly I did eat more but was still under my allowance.

I'm starting over from Monday as I'm away and not been very keto friendly so I've definitely packed on some water weight.

Thanks again!
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I saw your diary, I dont think you are doing anything wrong. I at times plateau for a period of time and then the weight boom falls off then I plateau again. Keep at it. Take a look at this then tell me what you think.

How To Age Better
    http://thenextweb.com/shareables/2012/10/21/how-to-age-better-off-topic-but-a-must-watch/

I think this show aired in England 1st.

Thanks for this interesting link- I used to do this once a week, and I felt great....not sure why I stopped! This has reminded me to get back to it!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Hey all!
    I'll admit I'm not the angel I should be on Keto at the weekends but I don't go nuts but during the week I'm eating low carb and high fat and i've been at this since 3rd Sept and in that time i've only managed to lose 7lbs.
    Thank you.

First things first: I dont know what you are reading but - Ketogenic intakes should ****only be under the strict supervison of the diagnosing physician**** - ESPECIALLY for PCOS patients. Generally a Ketogenic intake is prescribed for patients with intractable epilepsy and other conditions - but not generally prescribed for PCOS.

I would like to stress the importance to you that as a patient of PCOS - you really need to run this by your treating Endocrinologist, or whatever specialty of medicine practitioner is overseeing your care. Cant stress it enough.

Second: 1200 calories in a patient with PCOS is definitely not a good route to follow. If you eat 1200, and then exercise... you are burning the calories from your 1200 that you just ate. You are creating a metabolic problem for yourself. This is another situation that is better advised by an Endocrinologist and/or Bariatric trained physician. (Bariatric doesnt mean surgical, they also treat obesity non-surgically, just as an FYI)

I would suggest also learning more about your BMR - there is an EXCELLENT website that has a free calculator to use - its very easy and done in an easy to read format. Visit http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ and run the numbers.

This will calculate your current BMR, TDEE and TDEE-cut. Scooby is a trained professional - he is just ADORABLE. He has many videos for those interested in safe but effective workouts, workout plans and offers some great tips for meals as well. This is a man in his early 50s and looks MAHHHHHHVELOUS!

Meanwhile back at the ranch - I would definitely not proceed further until you have a healthcare professional supervising you with what you are doing. Your weight-loss stall unfortunately is the direct result of what you are doing right now.

Be safe, but be smart too... PCOS has many manifestations that follow...

Good luck,

CramerNH
    LCDF - Moderator