Running on Treadmill vs Outside

Options
tpt1950
tpt1950 Posts: 292 Member
I am brand new to running. I run outdoors (asphalt and composite tracks) only and just today I have made it to my first 30 minute run following the Bluefin C25K program - yipee!! I am really slow, about 17 min. mile. I have a friend who runs only on a treadmill and is constantly telling me that if I keep at it I will get to where she is. She just made her first straight 30 minutes at incline 4 at about 4.2 to 4.5 mph. Can someone who is knowledgeable about both forms of this type running (treadmill vs outdoor), please tell me if it is the same running on a treadmill as it is outdoors. Thanks for any feedback!

Replies

• Littlegurl
    Littlegurl Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    No it's not the same. Running outside on a fairly flat surface is said to be comparable to the effort of running at a 1 - 1-1/2 grade incline on a treadmill. On a treadmill u just lift ur feet and the treadmill moves beneath ur feet. Plus, treadmills r the softest surface to run on. Outside u must propel yourself forward. Composite tracks r easier than asphalt and concrete. Composite tracks have more cushion, and they r not difficult to maneuver like asphalt and concrete with unevenness, rocks, and possible street traffic. Trails r softer than even composite tracks usually, but sometimes require maneuvering. All that being said I ran my first 5k today, and trained for it on the treadmill. But as of today I'm hooked on running outside. Treadmill running is very boring even with music. I ran the 5k mostly on asphalt, and a little on concrete. And u don't watch the clock constantly when running outdoors. The treadmill is great for increasing ur speed though. U can set the pace higher and push yourself...
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I'm not big fan of running on a treadmill. I personally feel that I get more out of running outside in the elements than on the treadmill. Treadmill running is just boring to me.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    It is easier for me to pace myself on the treadmill. When I run outside I have a much harder time regulating my speed. The impact of the treadmill is easier on me, because it bounces. I am less likely to think about quitting when I run outside. I have to get back to where I started so I am in it till the end. I live in a hilly area so the treadmill is easier from that perspective, unless I run with an incline.
  • Littlegurl
    Littlegurl Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    It is easier for me to pace myself on the treadmill. When I run outside I have a much harder time regulating my speed. The impact of the treadmill is easier on me, because it bounces. I am less likely to think about quitting when I run outside. I have to get back to where I started so I am in it till the end. I live in a hilly area so the treadmill is easier from that perspective, unless I run with an incline.

I totally agree... I tend to run too fast outside and then wear myself out and have to walk, and then run too fast again and again. I'm going to do some pace setting on the treadmill once or twice a week now til I can get the hang of my pace. I found a great free app called Pace Calculator by Runner's Ally. It calculates what pace u should run at based on ur last run. And it calculates it for whatever distance u want to run. Fortunately when I run outside I usually run on a gravel and dirt trail around the lake behind our house. It's convenient and softer surface than asphalt or concrete.
  • MsBrdlv
    MsBrdlv Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Outside is where I'd rather be for running. I find that I don't enjoy the running on a treadmill, and that makes it too easy to quit. I do worry, however, about when it starts to get really cold and snowy out...........I don't want to go to the treadmill, but I'm afraid I might have to.
  • Kjngrrl
    Kjngrrl Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I started the C25K program and always ran outside. I completed it, ran my first 5K and decided I didn't want to stop so I signed up for another one. Anyway, I recently had to start traveling for work. Unfortunately, the city where I was staying was not safe to run outside alone in the dark (the only time I had available to run was not when the sun was up). So I ran on the treadmill. After one week, I knew if I didn't find a way to run outside, I would not be able to continue running. It was just so incredibly boring. I kept watching the clock and had to constantly psyc myself out not to quit.

The next week, I moved hotels. I now have a further commute in to the office, but I can run outside in a safe environment. In fact, I run in the early morning hours in a lighted mall parking lot next door to my hotel. It all means I get a little less sleep due to the commute, but very much worth it!
  • LeonnieH
    LeonnieH Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I've never run on a treadmill so can't answer that question but just wanted to comment about pacing yourself outside, some people mentioned it being difficult. I have a phone app (Wahoo fitness) that I can set to tell me my average pace at pre-determined intervals. I currently have it set to 5 mins, so every 5 minutes it works out my average pace and tells me. I've found that to be very useful in knowing if I need to pick up my pace a little or slow it down a little. I also find running to music can help, select music with a certain number of beats per minute depending on what pace you want to be running at.
  • LeonnieH
    LeonnieH Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Oh, also should have said to the OP - don't worry about your pace. I was also very slow when I started out - I think around 15 or 16 minutes per mile. Towards the last few weeks of the programme my pace started to quicken as my fitness improved, my current average pace is 12 mins/mile and gradually it's getting faster. I graduated C25k mid-October.
  • jlohcook
    jlohcook Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I find running on treadmill easier, ie, able to achieve 5k within 30 mins. But I prefer outside. I use the treadmill when the weather is not good, as well as during weekdays. I try to run outside only once a week. When I'm on treadmill, I use it to train my pace breathing, and distance. i started running 3 months ago, and am able to hit 7km on a treadmill, jogging at a speed level of 6-10. When I'm outside, I use it to train my pace and speed. My target for running outside 5km is 30 mins, I'm currently at 37-38 mins, started out with 50 mins after 3 months of training.