Once a week unavoidable cheat?

I go to a volunteer group once a week where we plan our work and its done over dinner prepared by the group leader. Its often very conventionally healthy but not so much paleo healthy. I dont want to feel alienated by not eating it, the meeting very much revolves around sharing the food. Is a once a week cheat going to make me a sugar burner? Is it really so bad?

Replies

• amanda6393
    amanda6393 Posts: 176 Member
    I guess it depends on what type of food is being served. If it's a plate full of wheat pasta, pizza or bread, then I'd definitely say noooo! The gluten is just not worth it. If it's just a bit of dairy added to something, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
  • _lizzie_
    _lizzie_ Posts: 130
    I guess it depends on what type of food is being served. If it's a plate full of wheat pasta, pizza or bread, then I'd definitely say noooo! The gluten is just not worth it. If it's just a bit of dairy added to something, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

it depends... some nights its not so bad and I can avoid the worst of it but next week is pizza night :frown:
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    it depends... some nights its not so bad and I can avoid the worst of it but next week is pizza night :frown:

Eat the toppings - leave the crust.
  • LeidaPrimal
    LeidaPrimal Posts: 198 Member
    Bring a salad along, nobody could say no to a side salad with pizza.
  • ricestephanie11
    ricestephanie11 Posts: 25 Member
    My husband and I participate in a weekly church group at a friend's home where it's a potluck dinner We just bring our food separately in some Tupperware and eat it. Typically, people just don't make a big deal about it. I would pack your food and avoid the consequences later, particularly if it's gluten bomb type food
  • wiginn
    wiginn Posts: 147 Member

My thoughts exactly! We have pizza about once a week at our house - if Ihomemade, I make it with meat crust; if we order out, I don't eat the crust. (I tend to follow more primal than paleo though - love my cheese!)
  • _lizzie_
    _lizzie_ Posts: 130

My thoughts exactly! We have pizza about once a week at our house - if Ihomemade, I make it with meat crust; if we order out, I don't eat the crust. (I tend to follow more primal than paleo though - love my cheese!)

Im also more primal than paleo, thats a good idea!
  • mensasu
    mensasu Posts: 355 Member
    Sometimes a white lie is acceptable. Why not tell them that you are having some food sensitivity issues and need to be careful and thats why you are bring your own dinner. Maybe after a while you can "fess up" and tell them that you aren't eating grains etc cause it makes you feel better.