Diet Soda and Diabetes

Options
Gentyl
Gentyl Posts: 184 Member
Ok, I was never a soda person, but recently I bought a whole bunch of Pepsi One (not much water left on the shelves to prepare for the hurricane). I found that the soda really curbed my hunger. I've been low carbing not long after my diagnosis last month and had finally gotten my blood sugars under control. Although my blood sugars are still under control, for the most part, they are creeping up again... a bit out of my comfort zone.

So, my question is: Does diet soda affect our blood sugars? I read somewhere that if we eat something sweet, no matter how it's sweetened that our body does an insulin dump.. but wouldn't that drive our BGs down? Am confused.

Replies

• LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your food diary. It is more likely that the Atkins meal replacement bar is what's upping your blood glucose. It does mine. The other item (in the same meal) that would raise mine is tomatoes.
  • Gentyl
    Options
    Yes, I think you're right. I'm a stickler at desiring my BGs to be in the 80s.. Sometimes I wonder if I should just settle for the low 100s... perhaps no more than 110.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think you're right. I'm a stickler at desiring my BGs to be in the 80s.. Sometimes I wonder if I should just settle for the low 100s... perhaps no more than 110.
    If you can keep them in the 80s then keep them in the 80s. I'm working towards being there myself. That's going to take me losing more weight. But don't panic if a food choice puts you up to 110 occasionally. Just modify that choice, don't eat it or cut it in half.
  • BigG59
    BigG59 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Not sure what the sweetener is in Pepsi One, but, non calorific sweeteners are just that no calories. Check the ingredients on the side of the Pepsi One, there may be trace amounts of carbs but I suspect very few, if any. In which case it wont be the drink that has affected your blood sugar.
  • Gentyl
    Options
    Pepsi One has sucralose and no carbs. Powdered sucralose drives my blood sugar up, but liquid sucralose generally does nothing to my blood sugar. I watched this episode of Dr. Oz where he talked about artificial sweeteners and their affect on the body.. something about weight gain because it tricks the body into thinking they have had sugar, which triggers an insulin response where the insulin is not needed. Excess insulin triggers its fat making qualities, I guess. I'm still losing weight, so that's not what concerns me, predominantly--yet. Does artificial sweeteners affect anyone's blood sugar. For instance, I absolutely know that truvia increases my blood sugar more than sugar does.
  • Gentyl
    Options
    If you can keep them in the 80s then keep them in the 80s. I'm working towards being there myself. That's going to take me losing more weight. But don't panic if a food choice puts you up to 110 occasionally. Just modify that choice, don't eat it or cut it in half.

Yes, I have to learn how to be more kind, accepting, and patient with myself. It may take me a while to get back into the 80's consistently. I felt so much better in the 80s.. now, I just feel a little sluggish again.
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    I have so very little sugar in my day that I just have the real sugar. I'm finding that 1/2 teaspoon in my cereal is enough. I stay away from diet drinks. Water. Tea and coffee are my drinks by choice.

Yesterday I was bad and thought the fruit cake I had would have put my sugars through the roof but no all was fine.

No cake today. Maybe tomorrow who knows.

I seen that episode of Dr. Oz when they said that anything sweet would trigger your mind in thinking that you had sugar. But what about if you have an orange or apple wouldn't it do the same thing.

Linda
  • suttercm
    suttercm Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I usually only drink diet soda once a week and it hasn't effected my blood sugar, but everyone is different and you need to find what works for you.