New to all of this...Hypo....

Options
OK so I didn't think I had any symptoms and I have been tested before (like 10 years ago after my sister was diagnosed and then again 5 years ago when I was pregnant) and everything came back ok...now my tests come back with High TSH 4.78 and "normal" T4 .80 doc started me on 25 MCG of Levothroxine...He wants to see my TSH go down to a 2 or so...What am I supposed to expect to happen??

I go back for a complete blood work right before Christmas...

Replies

• debbylee22
    debbylee22 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Hi Oklanoue, Welcome! :flowerforyou:
    Sorry for your news. But you've come to the right place for support! This group is fantastic for getting information & help with Thyroid & weight loss. I am fairly new to being hypo too. In May I noticed the symptoms that got me in to see a Dr. But I apparently have had it for quite some time.
    One of the best information sites you can visit & search for anything on, hypo, is stopthethyroidmadness.com
    You'll need to read up on everything yourself, to get good results, as Dr's generally are not as well informed about treating thyroid problems as they should be.
    Google is also very useful in searching for info online.
    Your Dr. has wisely started you off on a low dose, so I would expect you won't notice much from taking it. Did he tell you not to take it with calcium? I take mine at one of my visits to the bathroom, so I don't have to worry about "waiting" to eat.
    Selenium & vitamin D3 are very beneficial to those with thyroid issues also.
    Have you had trouble losing weight? Unhappily, that won't change much with meds. It is very hard for us to lose weight, but totally possible! Just have to be completely consistent.
    Blessings,
    Debby
  • sometimes_blondie
    Options
    What Debby said! Lol. I have had issues with joint pain that hindered my exercising. After taking Levothyroxin, it went away, so now exercise is not as painful anymore. This is a really great support group, welcome!