Is it worth the effort?

Options
tamred69
tamred69 Posts: 130 Member
Hi all: I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in May (TSH of 18). My PCP started me on varying doses of generic synthroid (50 mg, then 75). At my last appointment (4 weeks ago) I was still at 6 and experiencing terrible mood swings, so my docotr switched me to Synthroid (88 mg). It helped with my mood, but am not yet sure about where my TSH is now (another appointment in 1 week). I have been logging my food and exercising religiously, but have experienced no changes. I am stronger, but my weight and measurements are exactly the same as when I started--at least I am not continuting to gain weight though. It is discouraging, though I am not yet correctly regulated, so perhaps that is why? Should I even be attempting this until I know I am where I should be in terms of my levels? Would be thrilled to be able to lose 10-15 pounds at some point, but this process is soooo slow (getting my levels where they should be and losing weight). I would appreciate any input you can offer.

Replies

• strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Its totally worth the effort. Im afraid i spent 1 1/2 years getting my meds to the correct level, you need to be patient. You need to stick with the exercising and calorie counting and you'll lose your weight dont worry.
  • tamred69
    Options
    Thanks--I guess I just need some encouragement.
  • Huggenkiss27
    Options
    For me it's worth it to track my food just to make sure I'm not gaining at all. I've done the synthroid then switch to Armour as well in the last couple of months. I'm hoping once I start feeling better I'll be able to workout more and be more motivated to eat well. Good luck and I hope they get your meds regulated soon!
  • tamred69
    Options
    That's true Huggenkiss. My husband thinks I am obsessed, but its not like I am anorexic--I feel as though I am fighting just to stay 10 pounds overweight. He doesn't get it becuase he can sit around all day and eat ice cream and never gain an ounce:)
  • momtobe06
    momtobe06 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hang in there.. it's harder for us no question... but it's not impossible

it took me 6 months to lose 13 lbs / 8 inches..... I still am working hard at it. You can do it to!!, hang in there and don't give up.
  • t8acy
    t8acy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It's hard work but definitely worth sticking with it. It's taken me 5 months to lose 20 pounds (another 14 to go), but I'm lucky to even lose 1/4 pound a week. I log all food, walk an hour a day and circuit train (30 Day Shred) for 20 minutes, so it seems to unfair that others lose an average of 2 pounds a week! I've been trying to tell my doctor for years that I seem to put on weight when I eat normally and have to put in huge efforts to lose anything at all. Finally a new doctor listened and tested my thyroid. It came back as borderline low, and I have to wait another 3 months for a further test. So in the meantime I'll just keep plodding on and try not to lose heart! The support on here is great though and it's definitely kept me going. It's hard to know what to eat now though, I already knew the bread and bananas were a no no for me, even sticking within the calories, but now it looks as if it's carbs in general :(
  • sometimes_blondie
    Options
    Here's the plus side of your effort, your learning new habits, healthy ones, and when your medication is figured out, you will see the rewards.Right now your laying the foundation of what it takes to not only lose weight, but be healthy.I've been fighting like hell to lose 50 lbs, and not a budge on the scale. That's when I knew something had to be wrong. When you are on the right dosage, you will feel so much better, the workouts will be effective, and the weight will start to come off. But you have to do the work, so it is better that you get used to it now. Best wishes! :flowerforyou:
  • CaboFitness
    Options
    I have Hypothyroidism as well, and it does take awhile to see results. Don't expect to see them right away. Once it starts to come off, it never stops. I can tell you that. :)
  • MrsBiscoe
    MrsBiscoe Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I;m in, I've had thyroid for about 12 year now. I do take meds for it, I am also struggling to lose weight:huh : . Maybe this will help.
  • hsrunningmom
    hsrunningmom Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Here's the plus side of your effort, your learning new habits, healthy ones, and when your medication is figured out, you will see the rewards.Right now your laying the foundation of what it takes to not only lose weight, but be healthy....When you are on the right dosage, you will feel so much better, the workouts will be effective, and the weight will start to come off. But you have to do the work, so it is better that you get used to it now. Best wishes! :flowerforyou:

Ditto
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I hate dealing with this so much! I am getting frustrated and fed up with it all and think it's not worth it anymore. I have actually gained 2 lbs since 9/25. I was diagnosed with hypothyroid 8/2011 and before that, I had high levels for over 4 years without being treated due to a hospital mistake... I bust my *kitten* and get no where when "normal" people put in half the effort, or less, and get much better results. Just doesn't make sense.
  • tamred69
    Options
    I hear you:)
  • divacat80
    divacat80 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Until your lab results are leveled focus on acquiring new habits, so that you're 100%commited when your levels are right. I was put on 25mcg of levothyroxine for two months until i got my first appointment with my endo. Nothing changed, but it was enough time to ditch many of my old bad habits like regular coke, butter, fried stuff and my addiction to a certain cookies brand. Also it was plenty of time for me to get used to hitting the gym every morning for 45 minutes.

When i finally had the right dose i felt i was more prepared to face a more restricted diet (mine had to be restrictive due to other health issues).

So yes,it is worth it. You're likely to have thyroid problems all your life so this is not about just losing weight, but about learning to live a healthy life that can keep you away from the consequences of this metabolic anomaly.

Best of luck!
  • divacat80
    divacat80 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I hate dealing with this so much! I am getting frustrated and fed up with it all and think it's not worth it anymore. I have actually gained 2 lbs since 9/25. I was diagnosed with hypothyroid 8/2011 and before that, I had high levels for over 4 years without being treated due to a hospital mistake... I bust my *kitten* and get no where when "normal" people put in half the effort, or less, and get much better results. Just doesn't make sense.
    I see results in your ticker! You might want to get a different endo or even a new GP.

Remember, this is not just about losing weight. What are you planning to do if you give up? Overindulge every day? Have fatty liver disease, diabetes,high blood pressure,high bad cholesterol and a heart attack while still young? Is eating wrong and not exercising enough temptation to have to deal with all of that?

We have a health problem,we're not like normal people... Or i should say... We would be like normal people if GPs and endos treated hypo the way they should. But they don't and we have to kick a** every day and strive to be healthy a lot harder than anyone else.

there's no other way.
  • Mjolner
    Mjolner Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Normal isn't all it is cracked up to be. :-) My new normal is half the calories of my BMR and twice as much exercise as my chart says I need to loose 0.5 pounds a week. Over tha last few days this is what I aim for, but I am not sure how long I can maintain it. I should have lost 4 lbs with this plan but alas I only loose half that. :-)

Date Calories Burned Calories Consumed
    12/05/2012 3898 1044
    12/06/2012 3387 920
    12/07/2012 3834 1282
    12/08/2012 4025 1065

Totals 15144 4311
    Daily Avg 3786 1078
    Target 2600 2100
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Eating nutritious foods and working out is worthwhile regardless of whether or not you lose weight or get skinny.

Getting stronger alone is worth it...

I honestly believe that your metabolism is affected by the foods you eat and the muscles you have. I don't think you can cure hypothyroidism or anything like that, but you might find that after you've been working out for a year or so, you aren't dragging around quite as much. You might find that your symptoms are a little more stable... they won't go away without being on the right dosage, but working out and eating good foods helps me be more stable with fewer ups and downs...

If you don't take care of yourself, no one else will. Do the best you can, regardless of when or if the weight comes off.
  • tamred69
    Options
    Thanks, all, for your encouragement!