Those that lift, I have a question...

Options
I don't think I need 90 second rests between sets. My heart rate didn't get up except for my one leg exercise and it took me an hour to do 8 exercises! (Technically 6 exercise....two were one arm and one leg at a time) I need to take that rest period down to 45-60 seconds. Although the first day of the program....90 seconds worked well. Maybe switch it up depending on the workout/exercise?

I just started Sunday doing the following program and I am trying to figure out the proper weights and rest period this week.

Thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated!

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html

Michelle

Replies

• rcb1963
    rcb1963 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am far from an expert. I only started lifting in August. I am on stage 4 of NRL4W. The author of the book encourages you to follow the rest period. I do follow it or most exercises. There are some exercises that I don't do a full rest as suggested. There are others that I truly feel I need that rest period and I take every second. If you look on that message board -new rules of lifting for women. You will probably find some great answers of some experienced lifters.
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Well, I think if you don't need the 90 second rest period then you didn't lift a heavy enough weight or the exercise is not has hard as it should be. You should need the rest period, if not, you might not have used your muscles as much as you needed to use them (does that make sense?).
  • MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I am always nervous of doing something wrong and I question everything.

Like I said, the first week I am figuring the proper weight/rest and this helps!

I am definitely upping weight on certain exercises and need to bring down rest periods on certain exercises. Once I get it all figured out....I am going to kill the routines!
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    Well, I think if you don't need the 90 second rest period then you didn't lift a heavy enough weight or the exercise is not has hard as it should be. You should need the rest period, if not, you might not have used your muscles as much as you needed to use them (does that make sense?).

I agree with this.
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options

I also agree with this. You should feel like 90 sec isn't ENOUGH because you pushed so hard.
  • MichelleRenee13
    Options
    I have lowered my rest periods to 60 seconds. I may not need it cardiovascular wise, but it seems as though my muscles need the 60 seconds to continue on with the next round of reps in the set.

So, I have to find a balance. I can't imagine taking a 30 second rest and my muscles being able to perform the next round of reps. I guess I should test it. I will continue this week with 60 second rests and test next week with 45 second rests and see how my muscles respond?
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I have lowered my rest periods to 60 seconds. I may not need it cardiovascular wise, but it seems as though my muscles need the 60 seconds to continue on with the next round of reps in the set.

So, I have to find a balance. I can't imagine taking a 30 second rest and my muscles being able to perform the next round of reps. I guess I should test it. I will continue this week with 60 second rests and test next week with 45 second rests and see how my muscles respond?

Are the last two reps of your sets so challenging that you can barely complete them? If the answer is no, you need to up your weight until you can barely get the last two reps in. Then you will NEED the entire 60-90 second rest period. My guess is that you feel you do not need the break right now because you aren't pushing hard enough. Your cardio level has nothing to do with it. PUSH HARDER LIFT HEAVIER! :flowerforyou:
  • maltipink
    maltipink Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I agree, 60-90 seconds is necessary if you are pushing yourself hard.
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    That looks like an interesting workout schedule! Keep me posted on how you like it!!!
  • MichelleRenee13
    Options
    I am in a in between with a lot of the moves. My weights go up in 2.5lb increments and I can lift say 17.5lbs for the shoulder press for the set amount of reps, but when I try to move up to 20lbs because 17.5lbs is too light....I can't do but a rep or 2 with good form.

I guess I calculate the rest period needed in direct correlation with my cardio exertion.

I have taken it down to 60 second rests and plan on keeping it there for know and tweak as needed.
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I am in a in between with a lot of the moves. My weights go up in 2.5lb increments and I can lift say 17.5lbs for the shoulder press for the set amount of reps, but when I try to move up to 20lbs because 17.5lbs is too light....I can't do but a rep or 2 with good form.

I guess I calculate the rest period needed in direct correlation with my cardio exertion.

I have taken it down to 60 second rests and plan on keeping it there for know and tweak as needed.

60 seconds is probably fine for now! Do you wear an HRM what you lift? I thought I didn't need the breaks either until I started wearing my HRM and realized my heart rate was up when lifting. The breaks actually brought it back down to the "fat burning" range. It's just interesting to see which exercises get your heart rate up even if you feel like you aren't working hard.
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options

Start with the 20 lbs and do as many reps with good form. Then drop down to the lower weight and go to 8-12 total reps (including the ones you did with the higher weight). Once you get to 4-6 with the higher weight, don't bother with the lower weight.