Heart rate monitor training?

Options
snarky
snarky Posts: 263 Member
I have a heart rate monitor. I use it for my calorie count, but haven't really been using it to train in specific zones for fat burning or general good treatment of my ticker.

Today, I decided to run only in zones one and two, instead of zone three where my heart usually jumps the minute I start to run. It was a good day to run slow because I have a bit of a cough and it was raining out, but man was it slow. The difference in pace was 2:30.

I am not sure if I am going to stay with it. I know that it is supposed to be better in the long run for building endurance, but I don't feel bad at the faster pace. I find it hard to believe that I wouldn't still get better at the faster pace too.

Anyone have any thought on this they would like to share? Would love to hear your experience!

Replies

• tikafly
    tikafly Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm dying in the higher zones, so I use HRM to let me know when I need to ease up/slow down.

No comment in regards to the "fat burning" element. I'm just trying to survive at this point, and the fat is melting away.
  • snarky
    snarky Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I think it is weird that I am not struggling more when my rate is high. I think it is because I have a cardiac arrhythmia so I am accustomed to my heart rate spiking for no particular reason. My body can't seem to distinguish between that and when I acutally give it a reason. :huh: :ohwell:

They say that it will go down when I get in better shape... which should be soon if I keep at it :smile:

I posted the question in one of the forums and everyone told me not to worry about it - that I would get better if I continued to push myself.