Exercising Like Grok

Options
LPCoder
LPCoder Posts: 404 Member
I have just found out that I have been eating Primal for the past year. I didn't know what to call it, but I just knew what made my body feel better and have been doing that. After reading Mark Sisson's book, I have started the Exercise like Grok part of the plan. I was wondering if anyone else is a "Groker", and if you log in the exercise on MFP, and if so, how do you log in your sprints? Do you log in your play time too?

I tend to log my exercise to help me be accountable to myself. Also because I don't want to forget that exercise is part of overall fitness. I think people tend to do one or the other (diet or fitness) and forget one. Honestly, I don't exercise much, and most of my exercise is for fun... dancing, walking, biking, skating... and I never logged it before.

I don't worry about eating back my calories, because I only eat to satisfy my hunger.
So, If I want to formally enter the sprints, how do I do that? I haven't seen anything on the DB for it.

Replies

• LeidaPrimal
    LeidaPrimal Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Hi, I do not enter my exercise in the counters, because it's completely pointless. The estimates of calories burned are totally inaccurate, both because they depend on your weight and on you being adapted to the exercise, and because like you said, how do you log sprints? I have my routines, and I know that at that approximate activity level my maintenance calories are about 1600...

However, when I experiment with different approaches and track, I prefer to track everything in my journal/blog (I copy macros from FitDay) so I can see things at a glance, all the thing that are important to me. This way I can compare week to week, and see changes to activity and any corresponding changes to BF%. For example, here is how my entire last week summary looked like (I post daily):

Week 2 (~ 123.4 lbs to 120.4, 17.6% BF)
    Oct 22, 2012 W: 123.4 lbs; 980 cals, 47 g fat (43%), 34/9 g carbs, 109 g protein; 60 min walking + 45 X-trainer (SS), 15 min stretch, stm.rm
    Oct 23, 2012 W: 124.1 lbs; 900 cals, 38 g fat (39%), 33/9 g carbs, 108 g protein; Depletion W/O #1, 20 min snow shov, 60 min walking, stretch
    Oct 24, 2012 W:122.7 lbs, 970 cals, 47 g (43%) fat, 35/5 g carbs, 101 g protein; Depletion W/O #2, 20 min X-trainer, stretch, 90 min walking
    Oct 25th: W: 122.9 lbs, 1064 cals, 62 g (51%) fat, 26/4 g carbs, 99 g protein, 40 min learning cable pulls & BP with a PT; 16 min X-trainer+ 25 min recovery swim; 25 min walking against the current in the lazy river (counted as stretch), stm.rm; MS+play (shopping, belaying)
    Oct 26th: W: 120.5 lbs, 1400 cals, 200/19 g carbs, 25 g fat (15%), 101 g protein; Intensity WO, walking 70 min, tabata (9 sets burpies, 1 set JJ), stm.rm
    Oct 27th, 2012: W:120.4 lbs, 17.6% BF (WW Scale); 2800 cals, 640 g carbs, 1% fat, 91 g protein + Creatine Load; Moving Slow+Play, stm.rm
    Oct 28th, 2012: W122 lbs; 1700 cals, 29 g fat (15%), 218/40 g carbs, 152 g protein; Power workout, stretch, Play
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I haven't searched, but maybe someone has entered Tabata for sprints?

I haven't tried Sisson's exercise plan. I should.

Welcome to the group!
  • LPCoder
    LPCoder Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I see a general calisthenics, but not much more! Oh well, I'll just make it up as we go!
  • pbourret
    pbourret Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I do try to exercise like Grok. Because of my messed-up ankles, I usually get on a cycle a couple of times a week at the gym and do my sprints there. I do a couple of minutes of warm up then alternate between 1 min. of all out sprint-pedaling with 1 min. of easy recovery pedaling. I do 10 cycles of this, then cool down for another 30.

A couple of times a week I also try to "lift heavy things". I usually use weights but try to keep with whole body movements and some body weight work like Mark recommends.

I do not log these into MFP as of yet. Still new here and still exploring. I know that I did the work, so the logging is not important to me.