Introductions!

Options
Ivy_leaves
Ivy_leaves Posts: 103 Member
Hey fellow nerds and geeks! I realized we don't have an intro thread, so I'm here to start one!
I thought it'd be nice if we could just have a place to post who we are and whatnot. Feel free to share your nerdy interests and any info you want about yourself. C:

As for me-
Hello! My name is Samantha and I've been a nerd forever. :D I LOVE scifi! Doctor Who, The Twilight Zone, Haven, and Grimm are some shows I am into. Star Trek and any kind of b rated movie are definitely my style too. I also enjoy comics, and I am a die hard Batman fan. Math is cool! And so is space. I love connecting with others with similar interests and I'd like to take a second to thank gse313 for making this group and bringing us together! Lovely to meet every one of you!

Replies

• gse313
    gse313 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Ok... guess it's my turn (better late than never)

My name is Greg, and I guess you could say I was the Head Nut in this Madhouse (thus the name I gave our little group).

This all began with a discussion I started under 'Motivation and Support' titled "Dry Wit? Geek / Nerd? Need Friends / Support? Me Too!!"... the thread just WOULD NOT DIE!!! :huh: Every couple days SOMEONE new was joining in!! Our little group went from rite around 20 to well over 100 within 2 weeks! :noway: Although not all of us are friends with eachother, most of us are... and beleive me, we are a STRANGE bunch!!:wink:

Several times I was told I needed to make this group, so finally I did!!

Now, about me.... I am a geek to the extreme...

Drama Geek - got bit by the bug in Elementary School and was never cured

Music Geek - Church adult choir at age 8, school choirs, in the 4 years of High School I did 7 years worth of choir, although on a self imposed hiatus I own and operate my own DJ & Karaoke service

Computer Geek - My first computer was a Comodore 16 (the first with the Vic 20 / C-64 keyboard layout), then built my first 8088 from spare parts, now I am in Deskside Support.

Sci-Fi Geek - I remember watching Doctor Who back in the early 1980s when PBS were the only stations here in the US to carry it (and that was shotty as to the episodes being newer or not), I watched 'Buck Rogers' & 'Battlestar Galactica' (the Original) when they first aired, I even remember the 'Laser Tag' Saturday Morning Cartoon!!

Rocky Horror Geek - Ok, so this COULD fall under Drama or Musical, but I tend to think of it as a geekness all its own!! lol

Horror Geek - I started the kids off rite, I had them watch 'Abbott & Costello meet the Monsters' at a very young age, by the time my oldest daughter was 8 she wanted her own copy of 'Creep Show'!! lol

History Geek - My wife and I are currently researching both our family trees, I have one side back over 300 years so far. I am also an amature Titanic Historian, I have been in love with her since Dr. Ballard first discovered her back in 1985 (do the math, I was all of 12) I have been to the traveling exhibit several times and was among the first to see the "Big Piece" while it was still undergoing desalinification treatment (it was in a huge pool out on the boardwalk in Atlantic City while the rest of the exhibit was being held inside the Tropicana)

Oh, and can't forget Corrupting Geek!! - With a little help from his college roommate, my oldest has become obsessed with The Doctor (finally)... he has watched every episode of the New Who through the first season of Matt Smith within the last 2 months. With his roommate's help, next stop is a midnight showing of RHPS!! :drinker:

Although I am only 39, I have been engaged 3 times, married twice, divorced once. Thanks to those three women, I have 4 wonderful children ranging in age from my son who is 19 (almost 20), down to my youngest daughter who is 8.

I almost had my clock punched perminantly back in 2000 in the form of an MVA... 8 pints of blood, 10 surgeries, and 2+ months in the hospital (and almost a year undergoing rehab) later, I was back up to functional levels... I like to say I now know how Frankenstein's Monster felt... Piece from here, piece from there, and a doctor standing over you yelling "It's Alive!!" :laugh: I have been told it is not a matter of IF my leg will have to be removed, just a matter of WHEN.... that was almost 13 years ago now... so we'll see!! :wink:

Short story made way too long I know.... In the spirit of my original thread - Friend me, friend any of us... Hell GET friendly with any of us, we don't mind!! :wink: We're here, We're Crazy, and the "Normals" are just going to have to deal!!! :devil: LOL
  • kelp99
    kelp99 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Just realized I hadn't joined this group - apparently I had a blonde flashback.

Name's Kristy and I've always been a big sci-fi/fantasy nerd. It started with books and evolved into games, and then computers [as Eddie Izzard stated; I have technojoy!]. I have an addiction to RPG's and game consoles. I have always lurked on the forums I've visited in the past, so participating on the MFP forums is sometimes out of my element, but ya'll are so nice here that I'm becoming more comfortable with it. I love the support and the camaraderie that I find here and look forward to getting to know more people.

My participation may wane during this month [November] as I am participating in NaNoWriMo and will need to conserve my energy to reach the 50,000 word goal!
  • lilivortex
    lilivortex Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello, hello.

My name is Alicia, there are those who call me... Lili. I won't go into detail about my level of geekery, if you want to know, then my bio has references to pretty much everything I'm into.
    I will, however, state the big things:
    Disney
    Stargate
    Star Wars
    Dungeons & Dragons
    Batman
    Musicals
    Fairy Tales
    Harry Potter
    ANYTHING and EVERYTHING Joss Whedon

I'm 25 years old and I'm trying to get myself into better shape while I'm still young.
    -Lili
  • explodingalice
    explodingalice Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Lessee.

Hi there! I'm Alice, 36 years old and geek pretty much since forever. I love sci-fi, comics, zombies, Magic: The Gathering, Rocky Horror, cartoons, fantasy, space/science. Some actual favorites from movies/tv/books are Firefly, Buffy the Vampire Slayer (OK, anything Joss Whedon), ST:TNG, anything with a zombie in it pretty much, Breaking Bad, Harry Potter, Adventure Time, A Song of Ice and Fire, anything by Bradbury, etc.

Just reading through the things that you all like, I can tell I've found 'my people' so I'm very excited. We geeks have different ways of motivating ourselves sometimes - as I've mentioned elsewhere, a couple of things I really want to do is rock some really hot geeky cosplay at Dragon*Con next year, and I'm registered to do a 5K Zombie run next September. Not your typical motivators, maybe. :)

Great to meet you all, happy to be here!
  • Katt1320
    Katt1320 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    HI!!!!
    Games:
    Lollypop Chainsaw
    Magic: The Gathering
    Zelda: Link to the Past (I just bought a SNES!!!)
    I want to try PORTAL & BIOSHOCK. I've got them as rewards for my mini goals
    Alice The Madness Returns
    Maniac Mansion on NES

TV:
    Community
    All things Joss Whedon (Joss loves you. Submit. Joss loves you. Submit)
    Dr. Who
    30 Rock
    Big Bang Theory
    Arrested Development
    Game of Thrones (I WILL read the books. Once I'm certain he's not going to die before finishing them)

Books:
    Harry Potter
    Orson Scott Card's Alvin Maker Series
    Stephen King taught me how to read

Fav Movies:
    Pulp Fiction (anybody else stoked about Django Unchained?)
    Rocky Horror Picture Show
    Idiocracy
    Office Space
    Labrnyth (still can't spell that word!)

Personal Hero: Tina Fey

At the time of this post, I've been here 25 days and lost 9 pounds and I am so excited about this group. *sigh* I AM WITH MY PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I guess I will play along as well.

I am a 36 y.o. whose brain thinks she is still 20 something. I have been happily married since I was 18 to my wonderful hubby. We have one kid who will be *gasp* 17 on the 20th.

I have to admit, I did not fully embrace my geeky side till my 20's. Before that I was a hardcore punk chic. I was however always attracted to geeky nerd boys. A boy with glasses and who was way smarter than I oh boy, was that a turn on. Although I was always into British shows and computers. Every computer I have owned, except for our commodore 64 has been built by us. I find computers and technology sexy. And cars. I find those sexy as well. And I can and do fix my own cars. Anyways, my ADD brain is losing track of what I was saying.

My favorite shows are Doctor Who, Sherlock, Pysch, Red Dwarf, IT Crowd, Spaced and anything Joss Whedon makes. I swear there hasn't been anything of Joss's that I have disliked. Has anyone seen Cabin In the Woods??? OMG AWESOMESAUCE! I also am in love with Simon Pegg. I also love video games. Zelda and Zombies Ate My Neighbors are my favorite Nintendo games. We also own every Nintendo console ever made. Plus I still have my Atari from my childhood. :)

I have also always been a big book nerd. Reading has always been my comfort. I don't have much time to read anymore so I have been downloading books from audible. It makes my work days go by much faster. :) And I am so so NOT a Twilight fan. Blech.... Yuck.
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    HI!!!!
    Games:
    Lollypop Chainsaw
    Magic: The Gathering
    Zelda: Link to the Past (I just bought a SNES!!!)
    I want to try PORTAL & BIOSHOCK. I've got them as rewards for my mini goals
    Alice The Madness Returns
    Maniac Mansion on NES

TV:
    Community
    All things Joss Whedon (Joss loves you. Submit. Joss loves you. Submit)
    Dr. Who
    30 Rock
    Big Bang Theory
    Arrested Development
    Game of Thrones (I WILL read the books. Once I'm certain he's not going to die before finishing them)

Books:
    Harry Potter
    Orson Scott Card's Alvin Maker Series
    Stephen King taught me how to read

Fav Movies:
    Pulp Fiction (anybody else stoked about Django Unchained?)
    Rocky Horror Picture Show
    Idiocracy
    Office Space
    Labrnyth (still can't spell that word!)

Personal Hero: Tina Fey

At the time of this post, I've been here 25 days and lost 9 pounds and I am so excited about this group. *sigh* I AM WITH MY PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Woot Woot! A Joss FAN!!! :love:
  • achbarrow
    achbarrow Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Hello All! SO happy to have found this group :) I'm 26 and I've always been a nerd. It all started with books, of which I now have so many they are taking over my living space. I love Sci-fi, mystery and yes romance! I'm a die hard Supernatural, Firefly(Alan Tudyk is the sexiest man alive), Sherlock and Stargate fan.....Whovian....Potterhead...Oh and Joss Whedon is my Master. I love too many movies to count, but if it's action, sci-fi or corny and romantic I'm there. I love gaming but suck at strategy so I die a lot. CoC is my favorite table top RPG but who wouldn't love a game where your character goes slowly insane with each new adventure right?
  • achbarrow
    achbarrow Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    My favorite shows are Doctor Who, Sherlock, Pysch, Red Dwarf, IT Crowd, Spaced and anything Joss Whedon makes. I swear there hasn't been anything of Joss's that I have disliked. Has anyone seen Cabin In the Woods??? OMG AWESOMESAUCE! I also am in love with Simon Pegg.
    And I am so so NOT a Twilight fan. Blech.... Yuck.

YES!!!!!!
  • Cryssy27
    Cryssy27 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hey all my name is Chrissy and I am 27 years old! I am a geek/nerd on many levels! I started gaming when I was six years old with my grey brick gameboy. I have been hooked ever since! At this time I own a Xbox 360, Playstation 2, DSI XL, DS lite (lites play the gameboy advanced games.) and a pretty beefy gaming laptop. On these systems along I think I own 100+ games. Spent over 400 hours + on my mmo everquest 2. Yes... I am a nerd... It is called ever crack for a reason... =)

Fav Games:
    Havestmoon for all systems
    Final Fantasy 7,8,10,10x2,
    Bioshock
    Myst
    Blue Dragon
    All the Fables
    and more... just cant think of them!

I am a band nerd. Been in band for 20 years now. Stopped when my school did not have music program. I play the flute and love it. I think all people should get a chance to play any instrument! Been to band camp for marching band. And yes I have heard the "one time at band camp I stuck" yea yea I heard them all! I love classical music or anything really but classical has a special place in my heart.

My table top love...I love D&D ed 3, 3.5 and 4. I have played each these ed and love them all equally. I have played Changling from white wolf and love it!!! /swoon wished there was more table top around me.

Movies and tv shows. This is a hard one. I love Firefly, Babylon 5, Star Wars, MisFits, anything scifi or horror. But sadly I am one woman that can't stand "chick flicks". I just can't.

So yea... I am a nerd and darn proud of it! I have lost 35 pounds here on mfp and 70 over all! Can't wait to reach my goals!
  • JustasiaS
    JustasiaS Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm a 29 year old nerd from Ohio. I make random tv/movie/music references that nobody ever gets. Doctor Who is the best show in the history of ever. Ten is my favorite Doctor....but Eleven is growing on me. I love pretty much every thing Joss Whedon does...Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Firefly are my all time faves. I'm into Star Trek and Harry Potter and playing video games on my Xbox 360. I don't think I could function without my Mac laptop and my Kindle.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Hello, my name is Richard, and I am a nerd.

I was born and grew up in England. I read every single Sci-Fi book in our local library when I was a teenager. Loved LOTR, HHGTTG, Thomas Covenant series, David Eddings... anything I could get my hands on. When I was young, I'd watch the original Doctor Who from behind the couch - loved it, but the Darleks scared the crap outta me!

I'm a scientist by profession now - a biochemist in a biomedical research hospital in the USA - and love everything sciencey. I hate bro science with a passion! Homeopathy, accupuncture, chi, vaccine denial, climate change denial, detox diets (what f'ing toxins???) drive me up the wall. I'm huge skeptic, and that goes for all religious claims, UFOs, Bigfoot etc etc... show me the evidence!

My passion is homebrewing beer. I love beer and anything beer related. Except the beer gut, which is what started me out here. At 45 y.o., my middle age spread + beer gut was getting a bit much. But I still drink beer! I'm a recognized BJCP beer judge, president of a local homebrew club and love the mix of science and art that goes into every pint of my creations.

Feel free to friend me! I don't post a lot on my own wall, but I do read every post on mine, and comment on a few.